Slant Six Dual Exhaust

-

nerftheherd

Reaction score
I saw a video posted under "why a six" that had a members 225 66 Valiant sounding awesome... I want my Dart to sound the same... anyone have specs on how to make a slant six a dual exhaust? Does it require a new exhaust manifold or can the split happen off the exhaust manifold...? Also, any recommendations on what Exhaust to run?
Any help would be appreciated...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3Mg51sbAI"]66 Plymouth Valiant Signet 225 slant six - YouTube[/ame]
Here is the video link

There is/was the Dutra Dual exhaust. Dutra is a founder of www.slantsix.org and you can find info there. At least one guy on ebay sells a steel header adapter plate that bolts to the head. You would need a shop to bend & weld tubes to that. There were a few commercial slant headers, which you see for sale on ebay sometimes. but insure not just for a truck.

I think the sound comes more from the camshaft. There was an Erson group buy years ago on slantsix.org (search). Since then, the price is high ($200?). Comp Cams has a solid lifter cam, you can find on ebay (~$130). Cheapest is to send a cam to Oregon Cam for a custom grind (~$80+shipping).

Thank you... I will look into that. The cam will most likely get done with the rebuild of the motor, but all the exhaust work is going to a local shop here... so I wanted to have all the parts ready to rock (with the exception of the pipe, since they will be doing that...) Looks like I will have to get joined up with slantsixforums now too!

I think the sound comes more from the camshaft.

Depends on "what part" of the sound you mean. A "split" six manifold sounds very distinctive, but a cam, just like the difference between, say, a stock 318 and a "bit of a cam" in a 340, makes it sound "like an engine"

Even today, if I hear a split 6 I know immediately what I'm hearing. And I don't get to hear that very often, anymore.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPLTdYaF7U"]Slant Six with Dutra Duals and Flowmaster 40s - YouTube[/ame]

With headers...........

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9uB1XL8zA"]My '72 Dodge Dart Swinger Special Slant 6 with Headers & Dual Magnaflow Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

I've read that the slant motors need a little more back pressure than true dual exhausts provide. That most people that run headers or dutra duals dump them into a single exhaust pipe and muffler. Anyone care to comment on this from a performance standpoint?

I've read that the slant motors need a little more back pressure than true dual exhausts provide. That most people that run headers or dutra duals dump them into a single exhaust pipe and muffler. Anyone care to comment on this from a performance standpoint?

Not true. Ours ran better when we replaced the old mufflers with Dymomax 2" and made the whole system 2" all the way back. Quieter, smoother, more performance.

the car in the video is running the clifford pacage. i am not sure the pacage is still available? Clifford is in temecula and still make the parts. if you post the vid on slant6.org you will probably find the owner of the car to tell you what exactly he is running. But the intake and headers are clifford, there kit used to come with a cam that would help the sound.

i did exhause systems for 20 years on everything from hot rods, to stock cars . from giant motors to 6 bangers. good rule of thumb of restriction and pipe size is less restriction = better top end. more restriction = better low end and torque.

Cliffords into a Y pipe and 2 1/2'' pipe to a dynomax race bullet muffler and a dump in front of the axle.A dual exhaust isn't needed on a slant unless you want one. I usually run to the back bumper but have to have a 2 1/2'' tail pipe made . On the to-do list.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_1957.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 905
IMO, smaller cubic inch engines respond better to a good single exhaust. If you are going to run set of 6 into 2 headers, you should look at this:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=451&partno=Y214300

Two 2.250 pipes in and one 3.00 pipe out. Those Flowmaster scavenging Y pipes work very well, probably better than a set of duals IMO.

if i were going to run duals it would be a pair on 2" to the muffler, 2.25 or 2.5" from the muffler to the bumper

Thanks fellas, I am digging those sounds... really the dual exhaust was only going to be for the symmetry. Performance wise, i want to keep this car pretty close to stock... My 318 i built up crazy... being young and dumb I didnt adjust anything else and turned my rear end into cheerios... My 440 in my Charger had a wicked cam and idled like the intro to "hot for teacher"... loved that sound...
Really this project is going to be for sound... I have read for the most part that 2 inch pipes are the way to go. I almost prefer the sound without headers that 67dart273 posted... [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPLTdYaF7U"]Slant Six with Dutra Duals and Flowmaster 40s - YouTube[/ame]
I dont think I would mind a single if it can produce a good sound... Seems like finding parts for a Salnt Six is not the easiest undertaking...
All good info though... keep the good recommendations coming.

Mine is all stock and Charley_S and 66CUDA and a couple other members recomended me to run 2 2'' to a 21/2'' for my daily driver, great low end torque and top end, but I am running a small 170/6 Like krazykuda I have a set waggin built for me and have been on the road doing great for about 4 years now. I went with a quite 318 stock style muffler so I can sneak out of the house at night This little girl runs 12 second 1/8 mile all day long and my best pass was a 11:27 all stock guts 70k engine. one day I will go whith a larger exit pipe from my 2 2'' pipes when I put my move on the cam and big valve head on.
Enjoy that /6 I am :D

Open exhaust

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JInsZEHyig"]41120010HolleyNEW!! 003.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• Speep%20056.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 766
  • JEEP%20FRESH%20AIR%201993%204_0%20131.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 697
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20032.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 700
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20029.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 656
Mine is all stock and Charley_S and 66CUDA and a couple other members recomended me to run 2 2'' to a 21/2'' for my daily driver, great low end torque and top end, but I am running a small 170/6 Like krazykuda I have a set waggin built for me and have been on the road doing great for about 4 years now. I went with a quite 318 stock style muffler so I can sneak out of the house at night This little girl runs 12 second 1/8 mile all day long and my best pass was a 11:27 all stock guts 70k engine. one day I will go whith a larger exit pipe from my 2 2'' pipes when I put my move on the cam and big valve head on.
Enjoy that /6 I am :D

need to go to my computer for pictures

Open exhaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JInsZEHyig

Dayum.... that open exhaust sounds pretty beefy too...
I'm really digging the look of the Clifford stuff.. Would love to have my Salnt 6 looking like this when all is said and done...

Attachments

• how i want my 225.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 821
Dayum.... that open exhaust sounds pretty beefy too...
I'm really digging the look of the Clifford stuff.. Would love to have my Salnt 6 looking like this when all is said and done...
Me to :cheers: That is one fine looking piece of art/work right there :cheese:

Rebuilt slant six 2bbl HEI Flowmaster 40: [ame]http://youtu.be/jZwD1o8BCvQ[/ame]

Some of this sound is likely due to cam, but it's a single 2 1/4" to a Flowmaster 40, then a single 2“ out the back.

There is a Dutra dual exhaust & Offy 4 bbl intake on ebay right now, but not cheap ($900 or such). The Dutra isn't near a purty as tubular headers.

I went with a single 2.25 and pieced it together using mandrel bends from Summit. Pics in the sig file link.

BTW, I'm on the East end of Vta.

Where you been Oatmeal? Ain't seen you post in a while.

Going to count that as an autocorrect fail, lmao! Been busy with school/work/family so haven't had much time for the car until recently. Just got back into things a little while ago. Check my thread in the restorations forum.

-
Back