Slant Six in a Chevy??

-

woody_3

Reaction score
Okay now I will probably get a bunch of guff for this but I've got a 56 Chevy 3100 roller. Now I'm wanting some thoughts on sticking a slant six in it. I know that it's a dodge engine and a Chevy pickup but I found one cheap and they are great engines. What are your thoughts?

Okay now I will probably get a bunch of guff for this but I've got a 56 Chevy 3100 roller. Now I'm wanting some thoughts on sticking a slant six in it. I know that it's a dodge engine and a Chevy pickup but I found one cheap and they are great engines. What are your thoughts?

Cool ...... don't forget to post pics when you do it.

Sure do it! You'll get a lot of grief from the Chevy people but so what!

Some how it don't bother me as much as people dropping LS motors in dodge but I'm a believer in Dodge engine in Dodge cars, Chev in Chev and Ford in Ford but funny swapping anything into a foreign car doesn't bother me.

But really you can get Chev drivetrain for Pocket change.
Id find a low mileage Vortex with overdrive, no one cares about them since the LS came out.

Plus sticking with Chev they probably sale every part no customizing

Don't listen to the naysayers, go for it. That is what hot rodding is all about. Remember some pics for the rest of us...

Thanks for the thoughts guys! Now for the hard part...coughing up the money to get the slant

Thanks for the thoughts guys! Now for the hard part...coughing up the money to get the slant

Sounds like a cool idea, if you already had the slant and a transmission.
Seeing how you don't, just grab a small block Chevy and an OD trans, swap it in cheap and drive the crap out of it. When you're done, you can still flip it for a profit without getting grief about the odd engine.

Just my old addled thoughts......

Put a chevy motor in it, parts will be way cheaper in the long run.

My buddy is putting a 383 big block in his 66 f-100 so go for it! Don't even think about that stupid cookie cutter LS thing!lol

I don't have a real problem with the IDEA you you WANTING to do this, but frankly in the long run I think it will be

a lot of extra trouble

way more money than a native engine would ever cost

I think if you have to source an engine anyway, and want to run a six, the Chevy 235 or 250 is probably a better choice. You'll have much less of a hassle with fitment (and you can buy everything you need to drop it in place), speed parts are plentiful and relatively cheap, and you'll maintain resale value (if you care about that sort of thing).

I love the LToP, but a 2nd or 3rd gen stovebolt seems like a better fit here. Pun intended.

Heck,Some guy in Oregon has a Slant six in a 54 Ford car that he drag races.

I'm an avid Slixer, and if you already had the slant six parts, I would say go for it. But it will be easier and cheaper, to use the Chevy/GM parts.

Sounds like a cool idea, if you already had the slant and a transmission.
Seeing how you don't, just grab a small block Chevy and an OD trans, swap it in cheap and drive the crap out of it. When you're done, you can still flip it for a profit without getting grief about the odd engine.

Just my old addled thoughts......

The Reverend Hendo nailed it : On a budget, do the small block Chev thing. Engine mounts/transmission mounts/drive line cutting /welding ,u joint issues, add up quick. If you are doing this rat rod style, coolness. I just don't see it ,to be cost effective.

-
Back