Slant Six Stock cam specs

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
i cant find it anywhere!

.org has a horrible search function and i had no luck here either...

so what are the numbers...

Does this help any ??

Lifters Mechanical
Valve Rotator, type (intake, exhaust) Low-friction lock on exhaust
Rocker ratio 1.5
Operating tappet clearance (Intake) .010 hot
Operating tappet clearance (Exhaust) .020 hot
Timing (Intake – opens [°BTC]) 10
Timing (Intake – closes [°ABC]) 50
Timing (Intake – duration –deg.) 240
Timing (Exhaust – opens [°BBC]) 50
Timing (Exhaust – closes [°ATC]) 6
Timing (Exhaust – duration –deg.) 236
Timing (Valve opening overlap) 16
Intake (Overall length) 4.77
Intake (Actual overall head dia.) 1.62
Intake (Angle of seat & face, deg) Seat: 44.5 – 45;
valve: 45 – 45.5
Intake (Seat insert material) None
Intake (Stem diameter) .372 - .373
Intake (Stem to guide clearance) .001 - .003
Intake (Lift [@zero lash]) .394
Intake (Outer spring press. & length – valve closed, lb@in.) 62 @ 1.65
Intake (Outer spring press. & length – valve open, lb@in.) 154 @ 1.26
Intake (Inner spring press. & length – valve closed, lb@in.) None
Intake (Inner spring press. & length – valve open, lb@in.) None
Exhaust (Material) 21 – 4N
Exhaust (Overall length) 4.80
Exhaust (Actual overall head dia.) 1.36
Exhaust (Angle of seat & face, deg) 47 – 47.5
Exhaust (Seat insert material) None
Exhaust (Stem diameter)

Does this help any ??

Lifters Mechanical
Valve Rotator, type (intake, exhaust) Low-friction lock on exhaust
Rocker ratio 1.5
Operating tappet clearance (Intake) .010 hot
Operating tappet clearance (Exhaust) .020 hot
Timing (Intake – opens [°BTC]) 10
Timing (Intake – closes [°ABC]) 50
Timing (Intake – duration –deg.) 240
Timing (Exhaust – opens [°BBC]) 50
Timing (Exhaust – closes [°ATC]) 6
Timing (Exhaust – duration –deg.) 236
Timing (Valve opening overlap) 16
Intake (Overall length) 4.77
Intake (Actual overall head dia.) 1.62
Intake (Angle of seat & face, deg) Seat: 44.5 – 45;
valve: 45 – 45.5
Intake (Seat insert material) None
Intake (Stem diameter) .372 - .373
Intake (Stem to guide clearance) .001 - .003
Intake (Lift [@zero lash]) .394
Intake (Outer spring press. & length – valve closed, lb@in.) 62 @ 1.65
Intake (Outer spring press. & length – valve open, lb@in.) 154 @ 1.26
Intake (Inner spring press. & length – valve closed, lb@in.) None
Intake (Inner spring press. & length – valve open, lb@in.) None
Exhaust (Material) 21 – 4N
Exhaust (Overall length) 4.80
Exhaust (Actual overall head dia.) 1.36
Exhaust (Angle of seat & face, deg) 47 – 47.5
Exhaust (Seat insert material) None
Exhaust (Stem diameter)

LOL .394....

and thanks! im looking to build a motor for my dad's 73 dart, shooting for 25mpg and 180tq or so... be done @ 4700-5K...

I just pulled this out of another thread,maybe this will help !!

"my new engine build" (kielbasavw)

Have not posted here in a while been slowly getting my motor back together. I'm bored so I decided to post something. Anyways the slant in my 65 valiant took a ****, the timing chain skipped. So I decided it was time to do everything in it. Tore it apart few rings were broken some bearings were pitted like crazy. Took block and head to machine shop, they cleaned and honed the block, it was already .060 over. Head was milled to clean up, and I had them install hard seats in the exhaust, and a valve job, just a 45 nothing fancy. I got some sealed power pistons, rings, rod bearings, main bearings, cam bearings. Crank is 10/10. Cloyes true double roller hand matched timing set, from the slantsix.org group buy. I chose a camshaft from Oregon grinding #125 its a reverse dual pattern cam .415 intake .399 exhaust lift, [email protected] intake [email protected] exhaust. I have cam Clocked about 3 degrees advanced. I'm going to keep the single barrel setup. My exhaust manifold was cracked so I'm thinking of using the back half and getting the dutra front half. I got the full felpro gasket set. New melling oil pump since the old one had terrible pressure, it took a good 8 seconds to get the light shut off at start up. I was told its a good idea to switch the gears between the two. Rods are also rebuilt, pistons all balanced with in a gram. This motor is just a real stocker nothing crazy just to cruise around, if I want speed and fun that's what my vw is for.

yea i saw that...

thats pretty close to what im going to do...

im milling the block to get good quench and then porting the head a little for increased VE...

im not sold on reverse pattern cams for our slants though... i mean... its hard enough to get the proper amount into the engine, why make more leave than what you can get in, granted you should get some increased scavanging...

what about the comp cam grinds? i ithink they have a small one.... also i think i read somewhere that like 71 up slants had a lil more lift on the cam than previous years. i don't think it was much tho, maybe 10 to 15 thousandsths

what about the comp cam grinds? i ithink they have a small one.... also i think i read somewhere that like 71 up slants had a lil more lift on the cam than previous years. i don't think it was much tho, maybe 10 to 15 thousandsths

i know about the comp grinds but they dont like slant oil pumps from what doug and Mark have told me...

besides to much duration for the given lift... and if you read there lift is @ 1.5 rockers not slant six 1.4...

i know about the comp grinds but they dont like slant oil pumps from what doug and Mark have told me...

besides to much duration for the given lift... and if you read there lift is @ 1.5 rockers not slant six 1.4...

i never new slants had 1.4 rockers, see ya learn somethin every day on here lol. looks like custom grind would be the only way to go i guess. howard's cams does em too. i was on their website the other day, and they listed slant 6 in their lineup, but they didn't give any specs..

Can't directly answer your question but I would expect around 110-112. The numbers posted above work out to 111 degrees.

Lifts changed from early to later cams, around 1971 I think. Early valve lift was .375" intake, and the later cam moved it up to .410".

The 1.4 rocker ratio thing is not making sense.... my /6 has 1.5 ratio rockers.

looking at the 66 service manual,, lift for the 170 intake.375. 225 was .395 170 exhaust was .365. 225 was .395. You are right as there is no listing for duration or overlap.
the 65 service lists both 170 and 225 intake lift as .375. exhaust as .360. so looks like the specs changed almost year by year. my 63,69 and 72 service manuals are at the shop.curious to see what they list..

'60-'64 170 and 225 plus '65 170: 232° intake, 228° exhaust, 8° overlap, 0.375" lift.

'65-'70 225, '66-'69 170, '70 198: 240° intake, 236° exhaust, 16° overlap, 0.395/0.365" lift.

'67-'80 225 export with 2bbl, '71-'80 198 and 225 domestic 1bbl and 2bbl: 244° intake, 244° exhaust, 26° overlap, 0.416" lift.

Comp cams will tend to make you cry -- a lot. Their (and other brand) off-the-shelf aftermarket grinds tend to be stuck in the pas, and usually are just Chevrolet profiles (hooray, you give up the advantage of the slant-6's larger lifter diameter).

Get Doug Dutra's RV10RDP or RV15RDP grind. Where and how to do so is an open question since Erson changed hands. Read this thread (plus links) and then here.

-
Back