Slant six was running great now I don’t have electrical power

-

MadMaxCustoms

Reaction score
Finally got my 1972 dart swinger together. It’s a slant six car. Took it for its first test drive ( about 10 mile trip). Parked it, went to turn it back on to move it a few feet and it fired up then died. Now I have no power.

multimeter is telling me I have 12.5v at battery, and at starter. Key in run position I have 0v in my ignition switch, 0v at ballast resistor.

Here is what’s new
Battery,Starter, starter relay, coil, distributor cap and rotor, NSS.

thoughts?

What works and what does not? Do you have headlights? If not check battery cables and clamps, or it might be bulkhead connector / fuse link problems. Follow the big battery cable from the battery. Where does it go? Starter? Should be a jumper lead from there up to the "big stud" on the starter relay. You have power there?

Starter relay ? Short it with a screw driver from the big terminal over to the smaller ones with the key in the run position and see if this starts the car.If it does replace the relay

If you do not have headlights or the idiot light does not come on when the key is in the 'on' position, wiggle the wire on the starter solenoid/relay that has the square clamp in the middle.....Do you get power? This just happened to me while I was trying to figure out a different problem on my 72 slant.

Thanks for everyone’s help. Really appreciate the support from this forum. I checked starter relay and it is fine. I have a bad bulk head connection. Wiggled it around and it works in one position. Are these easy to replace? Or do I have to replace entire harness from bulkhead forward into engine compartment.

Take it off from the connector. Might be a fried terminal. If so prob the main power in. Look up MAD MOD if it is.

Thanks for everyone’s help. Really appreciate the support from this forum. I checked starter relay and it is fine. I have a bad bulk head connection. Wiggled it around and it works in one position. Are these easy to replace? Or do I have to replace entire harness from bulkhead forward into engine compartment.
Disconnect the battery.
Then remove the offending connector. Look to see what is wrong.
Follow this link for some advice on removing those connectors.
question on the main harness plug on firewall
Yes you can replace just the plastic connector and the foam seal.
The next link gets into removing and cleaning terminals.
1969 Dodge Dart - Engine Compartment Main Bulkhead Connector

Last edited:
-
Back