slant six won't start when warm

-

mewk61

Reaction score
finally got the Dart on the road but I am having issues with it starting after I have driven it for a while. Slant six turns over but will not fire. This has happened three times and can not figure it out.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

How is you fuel line routed? Straight over the top of the engine, accross the valve cover, to the carb. Or with a metal line around the front of the engine? Where is your fuel filter at?

Very first thing is determine if it's spark or fuel

Get yourself a spark tester, and next time it quits, rig the spark tester so you can see it from the driver seat, IE under the hood gap. You MUST test for spark by USING THE KEY to crank the engine, because jumpering the starter relay under the hood changes the circuit.

and as always WHAT YEAR MODEL are we working on? What do you have for ignition? Details.

How is you fuel line routed? Straight over the top of the engine, accross the valve cover, to the carb. Or with a metal line around the front of the engine? Where is your fuel filter at?

If you do determine that it is fuel related, use this:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15778

Very first thing is determine if it's spark or fuel

Get yourself a spark tester, and next time it quits, rig the spark tester so you can see it from the driver seat, IE under the hood gap. You MUST test for spark by USING THE KEY to crank the engine, because jumpering the starter relay under the hood changes the circuit.

^^^He's right, this should be your first step. Good advice here:finga:

Should be easy to fix, and good suggestions. First, get: spark tester, starter fluid, multi-meter, and alligator test wires. Might cost $15 total at Harbor Freight and Radio Shack. Search thru the "won't start" threads here. In my experience, an overheating coil causes misses at WOT first, not idle. What not to do is throw parts at the problem without finding root cause. That will quickly frustrate you and lead you to give up on the car.

Check all your connections and wires, sounds like corrosion on a ground or arced wire to me. Had the same thing happen on a 66 Monaco 500, ground wire arced in the middle of the length, I found a hard stop on the cable that's when I knew I found it.
After that I swapped all my engine wires and never had a problem again.

-
Back