Slant to 318 swap, pics of the swap

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
I may have posted a few pics on another site, but I thought I would share with my A-body friends.
Several shots of the swap progress.

First the slant has to come out !

slant6.jpg

Slantout.jpg

Then I have to get rid of the mess that was left behind, and after much bodywork and many hours I finally finished the new paint in the engine bay.

leftbehind.jpg

newpaint.jpg

Super sweet.
(You might want to add a little more hose line later. It seems a bit tight.)

Looks good, I dont think the heater hoses were much longer from the factory.

that White sure look's good!!!!!!!
Are thouse some sweet manifold's

Nice work,

What other mods have you done for the V8 swap ?
Torsion bars,brakes,cooling etc ?

Any mods on the motor?

Looks great!!!

Johnny Dart said:
Nice work,

What other mods have you done for the V8 swap ?
Torsion bars,brakes,cooling etc ?

Any mods on the motor?

Looks great!!!

I swapped out the k-frame and torsion bars from a v8 donor car. Also upgraded the brakes from 9" manual drums to power disks (sbp kelsey hays setup).
Around the same time as the swap I also replaced the rear springs with new 6 leaf springs from espo.
I had already rebuilt the front suspension shortly after I got the car, and also swapped out the 7-1/4 for an 8-3/4 with 3:23's.

As far as engine mods, its bored 30over, has a 340 cam, early 340 exhaust manifolds, doubleroller timing chain set, and an edelbrock performer manifold and 600cfm edelbrock carb, mopar electronic ignition. Also used the radiator from the v8 car.

I was kind of wondering why you chose a 318 over a 340 or 360.
But it sounds like you have built a stout 318,with all the right parts. :)

Looks great!!!

081_81.JPG

Hey did you redo all your electrical? If so did you buy a kit or something? I'm wondering because I am in the process of exchanging my old slant 6 to a v8 (not yet determined which). I was just curious as to what all those old wires were for, because it doesn't look like there are any wires anymore.

Johnny Dart said:
I was kind of wondering why you chose a 318 over a 340 or 360.
But it sounds like you have built a stout 318,with all the right parts. :)

Looks great!!!

I knew that was going to come up....lol

I used the 318 because I had it sitting in my garage already built up from a different project. It only had about 500mi on it when I dropped it in the dart. And I didnt really have the money on hand to go out and get a 360 and build it when I had a good freshly built engine already sitting there.

The teen is fast enough for me. I'm not really planning on drag racing the dart, just wanted enough power to make it fun to drive.

ThogtheCaveman said:
Hey did you redo all your electrical? If so did you buy a kit or something? I'm wondering because I am in the process of exchanging my old slant 6 to a v8 (not yet determined which). I was just curious as to what all those old wires were for, because it doesn't look like there are any wires anymore.

Yes I redid all my electrical stuff under the hood. And it doesnt look like there are any wires, because I spent many hours planning and rerouting wires where they couldn't be seen.
I relocated the ecu, voltage reg, starter relay, all to the firewall. Relocated my horns and washer bottle to the area in front of the radiator support and behind the grill.
All of the wires going to the headlights, marker lights, horns, washer bottle, etc, are routed through the fenderwell. I also routed my battey cables through the fenderwell.
I wanted a very clean look and I think thats what I ended up with. All the same wiring that was originally in the car is still there, you just cant see it. There is no kit for doing this kind of thing, just takes some time.
I also took the time to weld shut about 35 holes in the fenderwells and radiator support from where things used to be mounted, and where there were holes for no reason.
Heres another shot of the enginebay.

superclean.jpg

Look's really nice. Great job on the engine compartment. Did you use a three core radiator? I did a similar swap this year on my 72 and I can't keep the temp down. Nice car.

The radiator is from a 71 318 w/air car. Its a good sized radiator, but dont think its a 3 row.
Anyway, i've had no trouble with it over heating or anything like that.

Dang, that looks great. What did you do with the blower motor and wiper motor wires?
Great looking ride.
Jeff

HemiPar said:
Dang, that looks great. What did you do with the blower motor and wiper motor wires?
Great looking ride.
Jeff

Well, on the 68 the blower motor wire are inside under the dash so I didnt have to deal with them.
I haven't delt with the wiper motor wires yet, but i'm planning on drilling a small hole through the firewall just under the wiper motor and running the wires though to the inside of the car, then I will reconnect the wires under the dash.

Thanks for all the compliments guys !
Makes me feel like all my effort was worth it !

What did you do with the /6 stuff?

Do you still have the electronic ign?
Is it the Mopar Perf Dist kit?

Thanks

Looks great! I totally get it using stuff on hand rather than buying all new!

-
Back