slant6 to 318 c.i. small block (similar in size to 273 c.i.). will my A904 trans..

-

jeffrey356

Reaction score
I want to put a 318c.i. into my 65 dart. I know the engine will fit, but will I have to replace the A904 trans and 2.93 rearend. jeffrey356

yes, get a 904 for a small block and make sure its a post 67. the rear will survive most stock 318's.

Slant 6 and small block bellhousings are different, so you'll have to change the transmission. But everything behind that can stay (assuming the rear will support any planned horsepower upgrades).

What year 318? The 66-7 904 is a 2 year only trans. I would look for a 68-up 904

Get an 80's 904 has a lower first and second gear.

Just did a similar swap last few days ago, still in the process of buttoning things up but just get a later 904 for small block as stated, drive shaft tho if it's the old trunion style you'd have to change out the driveshaft to a later one that's the correct length to connect to the later slip yoke style, unless there's an adapter that I don't know about that can reuse that old type of driveshaft. I still need to do that and I was able to reuse the Trany mount from the slant 6.

Yes, you will need a later slip-yoke driveshaft. 1967+ may be too long, so 1966 A-body may be your only choice, though shops can easily shorten one, which many here must do when changing to a 8-3/4 rear-end. You also need a 64-66 V-8 steering center-link to clear the oil pan (later ones are too long) and a 64-66 273 oil pan unless you want to strategically rubber mallet a depression in the side of your 318 one to clear the steering linkage. All this is covered in many posts if you google. More issues if you change to a later rear-end w/ BBP wheels and/or front disks.

-
Back