Slap it on or rebuild NOS carb?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Found and purchased a 1973 Carter two-barrel NOS carb for my stock 1972 318. Can I just slap it on the motor, as is, and see how it works, or should I disassemble it and put in new gaskets and stuff from a rebuild kit first? (Looks like the carb has never been run before). Thanks for your opinions.

I would disassemble it and verify the float level and cleanliness of it first and also check for dry gaskets or anything that doesn't look right.
It may be new, but things happen after sitting a long time. Bugs and shelf wear etc. can do strange things.
If all of that checks out, then i would flush out all of the passages with spray carb cleaner, install it and run/tune it.

As mentioned above, pull apart to make sure there is no junk in it, check float etc. My dad bought a NOS 2 barrel for his 383 Newport, it all checked out, put it on and been running for 5-6 years with no problems

This is actually "new" or is this a rebuilt? I would bolt it on, if it's never been used. New gaskets are not the problem. A carb that has been used and then dried out is where gasket problems usually come up.

Frankly, this is somewhat in the "what have you got to lose?" shelf

what will it hurt to run it 99.9% chance it will work perfect

"Remanufactured" carbs are almost all garbage, no surprise it failed.

New old stock carbs generally don't need rebuilding before use. It won't hurt (if you use a quality kit) but generally all you really need to do is grab a can of spray oil—any type is fine, Liquid Wrench or whatever—use an unbent paperclip to push the inlet needle's tip away from its seat hole from outside the carb; they tend to stick over years of sitting on the shelf, then no amount of cranking will get fuel into the carb unless you unstick it first. Then stick the straw of your spray oil right up against the inlet needle seat hole and give a good shot. Another good long shot where the accelerator pump stem enters the air horn, so it will flow down and wet the pump cup. Another good shot down through the angled internal bowl vent tube where it will flow down and wet the step-up rods and piston. Then operate the throttle lever a few times to spread the oil on the accel pump cup, bolt the carb onto the engine with the correct thick base gasket, and start 'er up.

-
Back