Sleeving a cylinder pros/cons

-
Yes,

But how would you know if it's done properly.

Not all Boring Bars are the same, as well as the operator.

Do you know the difference between an 'old' Van Norman Boring Bar,
a Kwik-Way Boring Bar and a Rottler Boring Bar.

'Cause he's too far to bring it to you? :D

All my work block work is done on a Rottler F86A, by guys I've been dealing with for almost 20 years. The same machine does about 150 import blocks a year with interlocking sleeves. That's how I know it's done right.
"Your results may vary...lol"

I've never had to sleeve a motor, but I agree with everyone else, it's ok. Just curious, though, why people don't put 340 sleeves in a 318?

I've never had to sleeve a motor, but I agree with everyone else, it's ok. Just curious, though, why people don't put 340 sleeves in a 318?

Well that's 8 sleeves and around here I think it's $100 per hole. So that's $800 in sleeves. It'd be cheaper to just bore a 360 .040" over and then run crank spacers with a 3.31" stroke crank to get a 340. Plus, a good 340 block can be had for a lot less than $800 if you can find one.

'Cause he's too far to bring it to you? :D

All my work block work is done on a Rottler F86A, by guys I've been dealing with for almost 20 years. The same machine does about 150 import blocks a year with interlocking sleeves. That's how I know it's done right.
"Your results may vary...lol"

The Rottler F8A, one beautiful piece of machinery.

Quite expensive too. Very high-end.

Diesel tractors are sleeved
old gas powered tractors are sleeved
semi trucks are sleeved
construction equipment are sleeved

some people forget their sleeves at home

I was under then assumption that ALL diesels no matter WHAT they're in are sleeved! I don't recall EVER hearing of a non-sleeved diesel!

As for sleeving a V-8 as long as the machine shop doing it is a good one and knows what they're they're doing and you know this to be true not self-claimed by the shop, you'll be OK.....

The new Hellcat Hemi's ARE sleeved 6.4L, 392's. (And this is from the factory!)......So I'd say that sleeves are OK....It comes down to the machine shop you have doing the work!

The 350 Oldsmobile diesel also was not sleeved. It was however a big POS.

If done properly, a sleeve will hold up fine.

It all depends on the machine shop and how well that they install it with the proper interference fit.

Garbage in, garbage out...

Find a good machine shop...

NO Cons,...

My car wouldn't have a # matching engine if not for 3 sleeves, that held 12.5 then 11:1 compression for decades..

I have a 230/400 block I brought,didnt know #5 and 6 hole was cracked till after I hone it,made me real sick,thought it was junk,but if I could sleeve it I would be happy,really want to save it

The main issue would just be having enough material to put one in. I don't imagine siamese bore blocks are too easy to sleeve, but I'm not a machinist, so may be wrong. I had a sleeve put in my 5.7 Hemi when I bought it do to some scoring. I could have probably bored it out to clean it up, but then I really should have done the other 7 which would have meant new pistons all the way around. A sleeve meant I only needed to find one replacement.

Well ok then looks like i;ll sleeve it shop doing the work is one of the best out there,just thought i throw it out there for oppinions someone put a bug in my ear..thanks

Boring for Sleeves

Usually a standard type Portable Boring Bar, which is anchored on the Engine
Block is not the best way to go.

A better process, is to have the cylinder bored out with a Boring Bar mounted on
the Boring Bar Bench.

We use the Rottler F2VB, which is the 'industry' work-horse boring bar.

Not that a Portable Boring Bar {ie; Kwik-Way #FN} can't do the job, but
you're taking out a lot of meat with '3' cuts at .040".

I was under then assumption that ALL diesels no matter WHAT they're in are sleeved! I don't recall EVER hearing of a non-sleeved diesel!

As for sleeving a V-8 as long as the machine shop doing it is a good one and knows what they're they're doing and you know this to be true not self-claimed by the shop, you'll be OK.....

The new Hellcat Hemi's ARE sleeved 6.4L, 392's. (And this is from the factory!)......So I'd say that sleeves are OK....It comes down to the machine shop you have doing the work!

there are as many not sleeved as there is sleeved here are a few more
3208 cat
b series cummings
c series cummings
most ford diesel
thats just a few common ones off the top of my head .

My friend and I sleeved a neon srt4 block with ductile iron, we made our own 2.6L just with a over bore. Never had any issues with the sleeves, as long as the machine shop is good.

well when I think about resleeving a cylinder the only thing that comes to mind is sticking a ham in it and pulling up the bone? no? :D. ALL PRO'S!!!!

-
Back