Slicks with stock spring location? (I know I'm crazy)

-

Jacob

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of 15x8 steelies for the rear of my Dart. I'm trying to fit the biggest tire possible, preferably a drag radial or slick. But I have a dilemma, the largest issue being that I have stock spring location and wheel wells. The guy I bought the rims off of had them on his 71 Dart and said he was able to fit a 9 inch slick, so I assume the backspace is correct. But I'm still concerned about rubbing. I can't currently measure backspacing because my wheels are off getting powder coated. I know this type of question seems to get asked here weekly, but I'm just looking for some helpful answers from more knowledgeable dudes than myself. What have you guys fit in the back on an 8 inch wide rim? I can roll or cut the inner lip if need be. Thanks in advance! :cheers:
-Jacob

Also, I have heard that anything taller than a 26 will not fit, is this true?

I'm running a 275/60-15 Nitto Drag Radial with 8" rims on the back of my '68 Plymouth Barracuda. Fit great with no rubbing. They are pretty tall too.

If everything is perfect (backspacing, axle housing location, spring location, bodywork) you can get a 235 tire on it. 9" or just slightly bigger sidewall width. I hope your wheels have around 4 7/8" backspacing.

By the way, you can't compare a 'cuda to a Dart. The bodies are too different.

Thanks for the info 69_340_GTS! I've heard rumors of fitting as big as a 245. Do you know the max section width that will fit?

The biggest I could get under my 1969 Dart was a 15X7 police wheel with a 9X28 slick on it.
Not much room there.
The Barracuda & Duster,Demon can use an 8" wheel.
I run a 15X8 wheel & a 10X28 slick on my Demon.

Thanks for the info 69_340_GTS! I've heard rumors of fitting as big as a 245. Do you know the max section width that will fit?

You can definitely fit a 245/60 in the rear of the Dart. I had that size on the rear of my 70 Dart, not sure what the backspacing was on those rims. They were just "Modern" Wheels bought from Schwabs back in the day.

Currently I have SBP rally's and have a 235/60/14, I could have fit a 245/60, but that would've been close for that rim width.

I recently bought a pair of 15x8 steelies for the rear of my Dart.

What year Dart do you have? Make a difference w/tire clearance. I'm running 245-60-15's on a 15 x 7 wheel w/4.5" b/s. I do have 11 x 2" brakes so that pushes the wheel out about 3/4". No rubbing either side.

What year Dart do you have? Make a difference w/tire clearance. I'm running 245-60-15's on a 15 x 7 wheel w/4.5" b/s. I do have 11 x 2" brakes so that pushes the wheel out about 3/4". No rubbing either side.

I have a 1972, stock drums all the way around. My biggest concern is that a slick will have a much larger section width than an equivalent radial

You can definitely fit a 245/60 in the rear of the Dart. I had that size on the rear of my 70 Dart, not sure what the backspacing was on those rims. They were just "Modern" Wheels bought from Schwabs back in the day.

Currently I have SBP rally's and have a 235/60/14, I could have fit a 245/60, but that would've been close for that rim width.

Do you remember what brand of 245 you were running? Was it a 14 or 15 inch rim?

my brother is running a 26x8-15 (hoosier quick time pro 26x9.5-15) on a 8" wheel on his 69 dart...no problem so far with rubbing etc.

I just sold my racing tires to a guy with a 72 dart, same tire as above on a 7" wheel with 3,75" BSP.....it fits very good and has very good traction at the strip. I have very good experience with the hoosier qtp in this size!

Michael

I have a 68 Dart with 275/60/15 on 15X 7 (I think) rallye wheels. Axle moved back about 1" on springs & inner fender lip trimmed, & 11X2 drums. I know tire profile will be different though. I'm replacing wheelhouses and Quarters & don't want to sawz-all this time around. Probably go with a fender roll, & drop down to a 255 or 245 if need be.

-
Back