Slickshift Hemi Superstock gearset for the '66.

-

Outsider

Reaction score
Get a load of these guys! I am just about to start building the Slickshift Hemi 4-speed for the '66. Thought you guys might get a kick out of some NOS Hemi '65 and '68 Superstock gearsets. These things are nearly straight cut, and will make the Dart sound wicked good driving around. I'm building two 4-speeds...One synchronized, and one complete slickshift. Man I just love fiddling around with Hemi gearsets. :toothy10:

slickshift.jpg

Imagine sitting there with a grinder and mowing down every other synchro tooth...

Dumb question - the slickshift one in the foreground looks like a factory piece while the others look like they were 'massaged' since I can make out what look like grinder marks on the edge of some of the synchro rings. Is that the case?

I am the dummy here and have to ask.... Will you explain the difference ????

Imagine sitting there with a grinder and mowing down every other synchro tooth...

Dumb question - the slickshift one in the foreground looks like a factory piece while the others look like they were 'massaged' since I can make out what look like grinder marks on the edge of some of the synchro rings. Is that the case?
The slickshift gear in the foreground and the two on the farthest right are '70 pieces and are a complete gearset. The slickshift gear in the back on the left that has the ^^^^^ marks around the top of the synchro teeth, is an early '66-'67 1st gear with a normal white stripe Hemi 1st gear next to it. The shiny gear is a normal "white stripe" Hemi 3rd next to the prostock piece. These gears didn't get any teeth ground off, they were cut just like you see them. The early '65/'66 stuff was all home made and had the teeth ground off as you mention.
I'm like a kid in a candy store around these things.

I am the dummy here and have to ask.... Will you explain the difference ????
Sure, the slickshift gear in the foreground does not have the gear cone finished. That is the tapered cone in front of the gear that the synchronizer blocking ring slides onto to slow the gear down. You can see the cone on the shiny gear is nicely tapered. The gear cone in the foreground is unfinished. Also every other synchro tooth is missing on the gear as you can see compared to the shiny gear with all it's synchro teeth. The synchro teeth that are missing every other one match to a slider gear that fits over it with every other tooth missing on that too. This causes the gears to "crunch" together with all that slop instead of a nice smooth quiet synchronized shift. This works very well with full speedshifts going UP the gears, but you cannot downshift a slickshift manual.

I'm like a kid in a candy store around these things.

Did you ever hear of anyone trying to bring back the early Pro-Stock stick racing, like a nostalgia Pro Stock series? I think the guy wanted it to be '70-up cars with the exception of a few carry-overs like the originals.They were to have 4-speeds (slick-shift OK, naturally), no back-halfs, Grump-Lump hood scoops, Keystone mags, the whole nine yards. I really thought it would take off but nothing ever came of it. Sorry to go off on a tangent...

No I haven't heard anyone trying to get the nostalgia guys to throw in the Prostock cars. Since my other car is a '71 Demon, I could get on board. My friend has a Hemi Demon, so I've seen them built from the ground up. It would be a fun project. Maybe when the economy jumps again. :clock:
I intend to race the '66 Dart in nostalgia class.

Hey Outsider I made a slickshift for my dart, what a diffrents no more mist shifts just hold it too the floor wait for redline and tap the clutch and it almost shifts it self. It took me about two hours per gear to grind off every other clutching tooth with a dremel tool an a 1/4 inch carbide dit, I bought the sliders from passion performance. Not a lot of fun on the street lot of clanging and banging and grinding but a most for the track. I put a syncrod trans in for the street, a lot frendlier and dosn't jump out of gear when you get off the throttel.

Hey Outsider I made a slickshift for my dart, what a diffrents no more mist shifts just hold it too the floor wait for redline and tap the clutch and it almost shifts it self. It took me about two hours per gear to grind off every other clutching tooth with a dremel tool an a 1/4 inch carbide dit, I bought the sliders from passion performance. Not a lot of fun on the street lot of clanging and banging and grinding but a most for the track. I put a syncrod trans in for the street, a lot frendlier and dosn't jump out of gear when you get off the throttel.

Grinding the teeth off was how they started doing it. Did you use an 18 spline, or a 23 spline? Eventually I will send my chewed up gears to Jamie and have him Pro-ring them. Pretty much like the Liberty gears I already have. So you didn't like trying to drive that slickshift on the street eh? That IS an adventure!
Is your Dart an original 4-speed? It looks great.

cool thanks for sharing...Ive thought about faceplating my t5 tranny in the future, but hear it will be a pain to downshift...maybe ill pro shift it instead, but they say it wears out quick...let us know how you fare on the street with it lol

I used to deal with Liberty, and they are really nice guys, but Jamie at Passon is number one in my book. Have you ever seen the pro-ring gears? They are similar to the factory gears, but the teeth are much larger, and the sliders have every 2 teeth ground out. The beauty of these pro-ring gears is that the old synchro teeth on the chrysler gear are ground flat. Then a ring with the larger pro-ring teeth is pressed onto the end of the gear and welded in place. When you chew these gears up they can just cut the weld, press the chewed up pro-ring off, and press a new pro-ring on...weld and you're ready to go again. I'll post a pic of a Liberty gear for ya'll.

are the pro ring gears a passon thing, or is pro ring what im referring to from liberty as pro shifted? for me it would be different since im running the t5 i would have to go to liberty, but i have heard alot of great stuff about passon from the mopar guys

Here is the Liberty gear. You can see the ring welded where the factory synchro teeth used to be. Keep in mind these transmissions are very unfriendly on the street.
I also placed a slickshift slider, and a couple of hubs in the pic. Notice the hubs don't have the grooves cut into them for the synchro dogs. The slider just slides right over the hub until it crunches onto the gear.

Liberty.jpg

cool..thanks for sharing the pics...looks like one fast shifting combination, but i can just imagine driving it on the street lol

Outsider, I used a 23 spline trans because I wanted the 3.09 first gear, easier to launch and better 60 ft. times. The car had a 273 hp with a 904 auto. in it when I bought it, I converted it to a 4spd. The slickshift took a lot of thought to match rpm in up shifts and down shifts so it would not grind on each shift and it clucks and bangs every time you let off or step on the gas do to the extra clearence in the sliders and gears.

-
Back