Slightly disappointed in performance

-

DSMRossi

Reaction score
What kind of power would you guys expect to the wheels with this setup?

The car is quick, but I though it would be faster. Timing is dead nuts, afr’s are on the rich side at 12:1 at the top.

I have a 360 .030 over
Zero decked the block with KB flat tops
CR at 10.5:1
Imm EQ worked magnum heads 1.6rr
2.02 1.88
Dual plane Eddy intake
Electronic distributor
3:91’s
PTC converter custom spec’d For my setup, great converter, flashes to 3900.

Lunati Voodoo cam specs as follows
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 220/226; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .475/.494; LSA/ICL: 112/108; Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd;

Too much stall for the little cam imo.

It won’t hurt the on track performance any.......but if you were looking for ET...... shoulda run more duration to take better advantage of the stall speed.

Should be a nice little street motor though.
In the typical car, in halfway decent air and not frying the tires....... high 12’s.

My suspicion is with the fast rate hyd cam and 1.6 rockers it runs out of steam before it gets to 6000.

Assuming it has headers and a decent exh system....... I’ll say somewhere in the 300hp range(285-315) on a dyno jet.

Has it been to the track or chassis dyno yet?

Last edited:
Too much stall for the little cam imo.

It won’t hurt the on track performance any.......but if you were looking for ET...... shoulda run more duration to take better advantage of the stall speed.

Should be a nice little street motor though.
In the typical car, in halfway decent air and not frying the tires....... high 12’s.

My suspicion is with the fast rate hyd cam and 1.6 rockers it runs out of steam before it gets to 6000.

Has it been to the track or chassis dyno yet?

Pretty much. Great low end grunt, but runs out of steam up top. They’re great flowing heads, I feel I’m probably not utilizing them with my current grind. I’ll most likely step up one if not 2 of the voodoo line

Not enough cam. Also, what's "dead nuts" for timing? Asking advice and leaving out something that critical doesn't make sense. What's initial? What's total? When is it all in?

I ran the numbers on dyno program. I had to add headers and a 750 carb.
433 hp @ 5500 and 478 lb/ft at 2500 rpm. The HP falls off fairly quick after 5500.
The cam is the weak point IMO. No idea what you have to the wheels.

Pretty much. Great low end grunt, but runs out of steam up top. They’re great flowing heads, I feel I’m probably not utilizing them with my current grind. I’ll most likely step up one if not 2 of the voodoo line
Do you have any numbers on the heads ?and what's the port volume.
I'd lose the 1.6 and stick to a 1.5 and a better matched cam.

Not enough cam. Also, what's "dead nuts" for timing? Asking advice and leaving out something that critical doesn't make sense. What's initial? What's total? When is it all in?

Timing is all in at 2500, dead nuts is advanced until I have a knock and retarded 4 degrees which ended up being 36 iirc.

Do you have any numbers on the heads ?and what's the port volume.
I'd lose the 1.6 and stick to a 1.5 and a better matched cam.

D6006D61-66B2-4189-9407-383AEBA1741D.jpeg

Here’s my answer to your flow numbers.......
Heads flow 220...... net valve lift is .420”
Has gone 10.40’s.

Played with a 350 Pontiac combo in it for a bit this year. Same .420” lift, but the small valve 350 heads only flow 200.
The 350 has been 10.80@123.

726B7658-94B7-44CE-84FA-5A5A5C056DED.png

Valve lift in mild street, street/strip builds is highly over rated imo.

We ran a RAII combo in it for a few years.
Slightly better heads and it could run a .480” lift cam.
Didn’t even make 10hp more.

Cam is way to little, and too wide.112 with lowish compression is an ET killer.
Will 60 foot like a dog.
That motor could run easily in the 11’s with correct cam
My 318 with heads that flowed similar went mid 11’s at almost 3400
pounds
I would go with something that approaches 600 lift with 1.6 rockers and at least low 240’s @50 and on a 108

Last edited:
Here’s my answer to your flow numbers.......
Heads flow 220...... net valve lift is .420”
Has gone 10.40’s.

Played with a 350 Pontiac combo in it for a bit this year. Same .420” lift, but the small valve 350 heads only flow 200.
The 350 has been 10.80@123.

View attachment 1715404927

Valve lift in mild street builds is highly over rated imo.

I'm not a huge Pontiac fan.....there are some I do like.......and that is one.

There's quite a few threads here about the 702 Lunati. Most are recommended for a 318 or a stock 340/360 build. You have some hot rod parts. You need a hotter cam.

Another example of why you call a cam grinder and buy a cam. Now you are spending money twice.

That cam is way too small. You can call:

Racer Brown
Cam Motion
Jones Cams
Bullet

If you call all of them and then order a cam from the guy you get on with the best, you'll get the best cam.

Bullet is at the bottom of my list for a reason. I'm not a fan of a bunch of their grinds.

Another example of why you call a cam grinder and buy a cam. Now you are spending money twice.

That cam is way too small. You can call:

Racer Brown
Cam Motion
Jones Cams
Bullet

If you call all of them and then order a cam from the guy you get on with the best, you'll get the best cam.

Bullet is at the bottom of my list for a reason. I'm not a fan of a bunch of their grinds.

Custom grind may be my best bet. My biggest concern and why I went with the voodoo line is that the car is a weekend warrior but I also cruise with it. I want enough low end that I can comfortably drive in occasional traffic without being miserable.

20, I only had about 16 degrees total change. However I don’t have an issue with performance under 2500rpm.

Sounds like the timing is acceptable. In that case, I'm still goin with not enough cam.

I may have missed it, but I didn’t see any performance numbers or dyno results yet.

Maybe it’s all it should be, and the OP was just expecting/hoping for more.

-
Back