Slip yoke will not slip on...

-
are you concerned about the integrity of the shaft after grinding on it? such as it developing a stress crack or somehow affecting the metal leading to failure?

(i don't know anything about metallurgy but i do know that there's specific stuff you can and can't grind on)

Before I spend a $100 on the rebuilder transmission that's on my local craigslist, I'm going to give this one a shot...
Thank you for everybody's help and concerns...

are you concerned about the integrity of the shaft after grinding on it? such as it developing a stress crack or somehow affecting the metal leading to failure?

(i don't know anything about metallurgy but i do know that there's specific stuff you can and can't grind on)
The way you worded that isn't quite right. You CAN grind on anydangthing you want to. There are certain thAngs you ain't SUPPOSED to grind on. LOL He's not top fuel racin, so hopefully he'll be ok. lo

The way you worded that isn't quite right. You CAN grind on anydangthing you want to. There are certain thAngs you ain't SUPPOSED to grind on. LOL He's not top fuel racin, so hopefully he'll be ok. lo
i realized that after i'd posted that it was kind of a round about way of voicing my concern of grinding on something that you mighta not 'supposta

granted, not a high HP application so should be fine. but that would suck to accidentally shock load it and have it go pop. probably take out damn near everything.

i realized that after i'd posted that it was kind of a round about way of voicing my concern of grinding on something that you mighta not 'supposta

granted, not a high HP application so should be fine. but that would suck to accidentally shock load it and have it go pop. probably take out damn near everything.
I cannot disagree.

I'm totally not worried...
I'm selling the car...
I have $28 into the transmission...
Need I say more...?

It was wedging.. I would give a very light push on and it would have e to be hamered back off...
This is a late comment. I would try another slip yoke. The tail shaft appears good, but the yoke may of twisted. NO HAMERING should be done, on or off. The yoke must slide easily or it is not a "slip yoke". Transmission or u-joint damage will occur. Note: Driveshafts and both yokes, should be balanced as a unit and when adding new components and marked for same location when replacing u-joints.

This is a late comment. I would try another slip yoke. The tail shaft appears good, but the yoke may of twisted. NO HAMERING should be done, on or off. The yoke must slide easily or it is not a "slip yoke". Transmission or u-joint damage will occur. Note: Driveshafts and both yokes, should be balanced as a unit and when adding new components and marked for same location when replacing u-joints.
You might have missed where I took the slip yoke to a transmission shop and they slipped it right on a output shaft... I have used this slip yoke before and had no problems...

-
Back