Slow cuda 68 help plz

-

Rulito

Reaction score
Hi, excuse me my bad english. Originally i had a 1969 std .318 2bbl carb, points system, stock intake, cam and heads and 3.2 gear on a danna 44. i ran 16.1 seg quarter mile. Then i installed a Weiand X cellerator Intake, Comp Cams 274 XE. MSD ignition. Elecotronic Distributor with lightweight springs, 3.73 gear. and the car ran 18.3 seg!!!!! almost two seconds slower.. why can happen thesE? any ideas? thanks

Hi, excuse me my bad english. Originally i had a 1969 std .318 2bbl carb, points system, stock intake, cam and heads and 3.2 gear on a danna 44. i ran 16.1 seg quarter mile. Then i installed a Weiand X cellerator Intake, Comp Cams 274 XE. MSD ignition. Elecotronic Distributor with lightweight springs, 3.73 gear. and the car ran 18.3 seg!!!!! almost two seconds slower.. why can happen thesE? any ideas? thanks

OLA! (And thats about it for my Spanish, LOL! Wait, did I spell that right?)

The problem is the combonation of parts Also, the combo of parts on a small displacement engine.

The 318 acts very differently than the larger 340/360 engines. Those parts would be nice on the bigger engines.

The 318 likes smaller ports and the cam is still small. It is all very big on a 318. Also, (assuming the engine is otherwise stock) your compresion ratio is to low.
Other things come to mind. Did you;

Get a higher stall converter?
Address the suspension issues by upgrading the rear springs. Are the tires spinning? (As in not "Hooking")

The problem is the combonation of parts Also, the combo of parts on a small displacement engine.

The 318 acts very differently than the larger 340/360 engines. Those parts would be nice on the bigger engines.

The 318 likes smaller ports and the cam is still small. It is all very big on a 318. Also, (assuming the engine is otherwise stock) your compresion ratio is to low.

Address the suspension issues by upgrading the rear springs. Are the tires spinning? (As in not "Hooking")

I agree..are you hooking?

If so, get rid of the Weiand intake and fine a Performer or LD340 dual plane intake. The cam is a bit too much for a 318 , but not impossible to utilize. I use an XE268 cam in my 318, which is large for stock compression, but it works great. The gearing is good, as well.

Honestly, I cannot see this motor running this poor of a time. The parts are a little too aggressive for a 318, but I wold still expect the same time, if not in the 15s to high 14s at least. Are you sure you do not have a failing ignition, a misfire, or just no traction? Also, are you running a four barrel or a two barrel on a 4bbl intake?

one question...what converter do you have?

big cam small engine needs alot of flash in the converter...

fish, its hola, lol I got a set of 76 360 smog heads that run 1.88s and 1.60s I believe.these may help ya out with a lil work, u pay shipping

i have a 2bbl factory heads intake, but i have 308 swirl port heads on my garage. thanks

I agree..are you hooking?

If so, get rid of the Weiand intake and fine a Performer or LD340 dual plane intake. The cam is a bit too much for a 318 , but not impossible to utilize. I use an XE268 cam in my 318, which is large for stock compression, but it works great. The gearing is good, as well.

Honestly, I cannot see this motor running this poor of a time. The parts are a little too aggressive for a 318, but I wold still expect the same time, if not in the 15s to high 14s at least. Are you sure you do not have a failing ignition, a misfire, or just no traction? Also, are you running a four barrel or a two barrel on a 4bbl intake?

i running four barrel edelbrock carb. The msd 6a works fine. do you think the valve spring of the heads will be the problem (i have stock 318 heads small port) ..... but i have on my garage a set of 308 swirl port came from a 1991 mexican truck 360.

i have standard a833 trans. with a danna 44 welded. stabilizer bars. what hooking means? thanks

Hooking...Its when you get drunk and head down to second street by the park.... \\:D/

[-X OH, is your car launching hard or just sitting there and spinning the tires?? :scratch:

Hooking...Its when you get drunk and head down to second street by the park.... \\:D/

[-X OH, is your car launching hard or just sitting there and spinning the tires?? :scratch:

the car is lauching hard. :D

That's a big cam for a mostly stock 318. You should have at least 9.0:1 compression. But that wouldn't explain the dropoff in performance. I wonder if your tuning is correct. What is the timing set at? What jets do you have in the carb? Do you have headers (how is the exhaust set up)?

How was the cam installed? Straight up? degreed?

Like most others say, the major factors contributing to your poorer performance is the intake and cam combo on that little 318. Really, of all the things you've "upgraded" those two factors would have to have had the most influence. I would think your torque curve has dropped off over what you had originally. The Weiand intake is single plane, right? Better suited to a higher revving engine. As someone else suggested you'd do better with a Performer dual plane intake and a cam better suited to producing low end torque. I obtained excellent performance improvements on the 318 in my previous mopar using the performer and XE256. Good luck!

Agree with others a little much for cam, also what are you running on the exhaust side to make it breathe better? And I bet you need more stall in the trans too. It should run at least 15s or high 14s with that car.

My dad had a 70 satalite and we got it to run a best 14.88 at 91mph with a 318, had a mopar 260 cam a two plane edlebrock intake, and a 600 holley tweaked. He only had 3.55 gears on h50 15s as I recall.

That's a big cam for a mostly stock 318. You should have at least 9.0:1 compression. But that wouldn't explain the dropoff in performance. I wonder if your tuning is correct. What is the timing set at? What jets do you have in the carb? Do you have headers (how is the exhaust set up)?

How was the cam installed? Straight up? degreed?

Straight up, thanks

Like most others say, the major factors contributing to your poorer performance is the intake and cam combo on that little 318. Really, of all the things you've "upgraded" those two factors would have to have had the most influence. I would think your torque curve has dropped off over what you had originally. The Weiand intake is single plane, right? Better suited to a higher revving engine. As someone else suggested you'd do better with a Performer dual plane intake and a cam better suited to producing low end torque. I obtained excellent performance improvements on the 318 in my previous mopar using the performer and XE256. Good luck!

Thanks, i will look for shorter cam and a dual plane intake

Agree with others a little much for cam, also what are you running on the exhaust side to make it breathe better? And I bet you need more stall in the trans too. It should run at least 15s or high 14s with that car.

My dad had a 70 satalite and we got it to run a best 14.88 at 91mph with a 318, had a mopar 260 cam a two plane edlebrock intake, and a 600 holley tweaked. He only had 3.55 gears on h50 15s as I recall.

Í have stock exahust manifold. i have standard trans.

sound like you might of smoked the clutch....are you running stocking valve spring ...how much timing are you runing ...that cam needs more compression...try milling the heads..you didnt say if you have headers....good luck

I agree with above sound like the cam is not setup right. That is a lot to fall off to. That intake is also killing you, get rid of that first get a performer

-
Back