Slow, Driving Rustoration 1972 Dart

-
Subscribed for two reasons, one just to see how much fun the roadkill style road trip is and two coz it’s a cool car, good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress

I am going to shoot a video of the trip and most of the work we do to the car. I hope we are more successful and less eventful than the majority of the roadkill trips. My 79 year old dad is going with me. I learned everything I know about wrench turning and body work from him so between the two of us it should be fun!

Hopefully we spend less than those guys do too!

Last edited:
So. The seller became non-communicative after last Friday when he sent me a photo of the title. I had asked for a photo of the fender tag as well. I sent him a text and an email as a reminder but heard nothing yet. I got curious and found him on facebook. Found out why. He has had some sort of death in the family :( and posted that he wouldn't be looking at his phone for awhile while he clears his head. I'll of course respect his privacy and request for time by himself. Cars take a backseat to family all day long.

So my pickup may be delayed by a week or so, I was planning on heading up there on the 5th after work. I still don't know if the car has manual brakes or steering or what size drums it has anywhere which makes ordering those parts difficult. I'm thinking of ordering and taking parts for all sizes offered.

A question:
I'm finding mixed results in searching for brake parts. Not sure if I have 9 or 10 inch brakes and what width. Is this something that can be gleaned from the fender tag or only through observation? Same for wheel bearings.

The only thing I have to go on are the hub/brake assemblies in the trunk. I'm crossing my fingers that this means the front end is at least partially rebuilt.

brake01.jpg

brake02.jpg

Ordered a big order of parts last night:
Fuel tank pickup assy
New carter 2bbl carb
Tailpipe, muffler and hangers
Radiator cap, water pump, thermostat, new hoses except heater hoses
Pertronix ignitor and coil
rear wheel cylinders

Also ordered a headlight relay harness kit from CrackedBack!

Still need:
wheel bearings
brake shoes
brake hardware kits
front wheel cylinders
Voltage regulator

I've decided that if it is at all safe to drive, we will drive 25 county road miles to Fort Dodge Iowa because it has far more parts stores than Webster City does and I can probably get wheels balanced somewhere there on a Sunday. The O'reilly's there does drum turning and has alternators, starters, voltage regulators, and AT Filter kits in stock. Plus they accept used fluids so I can get rid of oil and trans fluid responsibly.

Man this sounds like a great adventure!!!

Cley
Yeah, so if there are any members out there within pushing distance of Webster City Iowa that would like to share their garage for a weekend they can be in the first episode of "Rust Rider Garage" let me know! :lol:

Also, drums in the trunk may mean front has been converted to discs?
Wouldn't that be something! Although the seller is a car guy and somewhat of a mopar guy surely he would have mentioned it. He also has a '70 H code swinger for sale but it was about 3 times more than mine and in in worse shape aesthetically.

Got my fender tag photo.

IMG950513.jpg

LH23:
Dodge Dart,Demon
High
2 Door Hardtop

No B code so I guess this means manual brakes.

Manual brakes are the most manly of all the brakes.

I honestly can't remember the last vehicle I drove with manual brakes. 1960 Falcon? 1956 Studebaker Truck? My 1970 Honda CL350?

Also no S code. So manual steering? I like this car more already! :steering:

So any update on when you go get the thing? I can’t stand the suspense...
So far the plan is to leave Friday after work and drive at least half way there take a snooze break and hopefully be there by early afternoon on Saturday, the 6th. Hope to be driving home by early sunday afternoon based on what she needs done!

Very excited to get back in a Dart! It's been too long!

Last edited:
If it were me going to drive the car 500 miles home, I’d siphon the tank as dry as possible, fresh fuel, ( or run on a boat gas can) change oil, fuel filter and nurse her home.
Of course make whatever brake repairs needed to be safe.
Take her to a Midas or mineke and let them throw a muffler and tail pipe on. I’m sure you can convince the muffler shop the let you do a safety inspection while she is on the exhaust lift.
I would put off the carb, brake job, tune up til your in your own garage.
Keep the rolling around on the round to a minimum till you get home.
Just my .02

If it were me going to drive the car 500 miles home, I’d siphon the tank as dry as possible, fresh fuel, ( or run on a boat gas can) change oil, fuel filter and nurse her home.
Of course make whatever brake repairs needed to be safe.
Take her to a Midas or mineke and let them throw a muffler and tail pipe on. I’m sure you can convince the muffler shop the let you do a safety inspection while she is on the exhaust lift.
I would put off the carb, brake job, tune up til your in your own garage.
Keep the rolling around on the round to a minimum till you get home.
Just my .02

So basically ... that's an option.

First order of business when we get there will be to drive. See what it needs, see if it's overheating, make sure it's stopping safely. The thing is most parking lots will have better concrete than I have at home lol. I'm bringing enough parts and tools to replace almost everything I need if there is a problem. That's the eagle scout in me. The fuel idea is what I'm planning on doing too. Siphon gas out, new fuel and filter. I do have a fresh new carb that I can slap on if there are problems.

Since the craigslist ad said carb problems, exhaust and brakes, I'm sure that will be something that needs attention for sure. Also the pertronix ignition seems so easy it would be smart to change it then. I'm just clamping and sealing the new muffler and tail pipe on as far as exhaust. All of the other parts are either tune-up or "just-in-case" parts that will eventually need replaced anyway.

A friend of mine from Minnesota is also driving down to meet us so it will be an all hands on deck affair. Plus who wants to miss a chance to party in Fort Dodge Iowa?

I hope people are on the forum Saturday and Sunday in case I have questions.

:steering:

Something to tide me over till Saturday...PARTS!

More on the way, headlight relay kit from CrackedBack, and shoes and shocks from rock auto. Everything else that was on my list "just in case" is available at the local parts stores in Fort Dodge Iowa.

Looks like about 25-30 minutes of work. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cats were a big help in un-boxing.

20181001_134801.jpg
20181001_135745.jpg

Granny green, 318, A/C.whats not to like.
I completely agree! I don't suppose anybody would believe me if I told them this was the color I was looking for. Also wanted a slant six, but this car was running, driving, straight, complete, has a decent interior, and just inside a 500 mile radius. 7 out of 8 is good enough for me.

Last night I had my first sleepless night in anticipation of this weekend! So excited, so much to get done, I was mentally trying to prepare how it all would get done, and as an eagle scout I like to be prepared.

In that vein I have created a spreadsheet detailing what I want to do in Iowa, and how quickly to return to work by Tuesday. I feel I have given myself plenty of time on some things and possibly not enough on others.

Whatever duration estimates you think I have wrong feel free to let me know. Not all of the repair jobs need to be done, I just tried to think of everything that would cause a breakdown on the road. Remember to take into account that my father and a friend will all be there so breaks for parts/food/beer runs not totally necessary. My dad has over 65 years experience in every aspect of car repair, and I have about 35. My friend is funny and knows which end of a screwdriver to hold.

It's about 470 miles from Fort Dodge, IA to Hutchinson, KS. AAA card in my back pocket.

Have fun messing with my estimates!

the_plan.jpg

Last edited:
Take and post lots of pix of your trip. I like the"rob bank" part. Get used to it. You will be doing a lot of that in the process of fixing it up lol. Accepting adoration from your girlfriend. She must really like old darts too, or she really loves you, or both. My wife would be like come on, another piece o **** around here.

I completely agree! I don't suppose anybody would believe me if I told them this was the color I was looking for. Also wanted a slant six, but this car was running, driving, straight, complete, has a decent interior, and just inside a 500 mile radius. 7 out of 8 is good enough for me.
You think you want a slant sux, till you drive one for awhile. Maybe 6 months max, then you will start looking for a V8 K and a donor car or truck to rid yourself of that gutless wonder. They are pretty indestructable though. I give em at least that. They were a great Taxi package engine. Economical and durable.

Take and post lots of pix of your trip. I like the"rob bank" part. Get used to it. You will be doing a lot of that in the process of fixing it up lol. Accepting adoration from your girlfriend. She must really like old darts too, or she really loves you, or both. My wife would be like come on, another piece o **** around here.
So far this is my first acquisition during our relationship. I did spend a month finishing restoration on my 1970 Honda CL350 while she waited. Barely got it buttoned up for a buddy trip out to Colorado, blew a hole through a piston before she ever got to ride on it. I honestly don't think she knows what she's in for but she is at least acting supportive and excited for me!

Last edited:
You think you want a slant sux, till you drive one for awhile. Maybe 6 months max, then you will start looking for a V8 K and a donor car or truck to rid yourself of that gutless wonder. They are pretty indestructable though. I give em at least that. They were a great Taxi package engine. Economical and durable.

It's more of a nostalgia thing. The last Dart I bought nearly 30 years ago had a slant and I loved it. If I hadn't got power hungry and swapped engines I'd probably still have it today.

Read my long winded explanation here if you wish...

What a long strange trip it's been

I'm planning on shooting video and photos on the way, during, and on the way home. I hope it's an adventure but not too bad of one. I know it will be memorable.

-
Back