Slow, Driving Rustoration 1972 Dart

-
Got my headlight relay kit from @CrackedBack yesterday. Man that thing looks nice! Everything else arrives today. Motel rooms booked, parts and tools organized and ready to load, and a carwash bay is located in case the rain in the forecast holds. I may pack my propane shop heater... We hit the road in ... 35 hours and 5 minutes!

Last edited:
On the road! 277 miles to the Dart!
20181006_013304.jpg

I drive through that intersection every day on the way to work! Following along in KC

Details to come.

Replaced carb right off the bat because it was flooding horribly. Had one, so in it went.

Runs great, sounds strong and quiet.

Heater hose leaking, new one installed and the bypass hose while I was there.

Brakes... Later I'm not in the mood....

New tires being installed at Wal-Mart. But I had to take the tires off because the gas tank leaks if you fill it all the way up.

The twenty miles to Wal-Mart were great, the Dart sounds good and runs great, hopefully tomorrow it will stop great.

20181006_140931.jpg
20181006_155056.jpg
20181006_170823.jpg
20181006_170854.jpg
20181006_171705.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow, I need to figure out what to do with the brakes. They are soft and need bled and a grabbing hard on the left side.

The first wheel cylinder I tried to bleed twisted off the bleeder. So I had a new wheel cylinder but could not get the line off the old wheel cylinder. I got it out but the fitting is stuck to the line. So I need to see if I can get.The short lines made for the front drums. The part that comes after the rubber line.

Other than that, I've been very happy with the car so far. It sounds very good, no ticks, no ticks. No clicks, no knocks. I'll get the exhaust on and get the brakes working better, then had head to KS.

I'm excited, this is a solid car, with a pretty good interior too. I can't wait to get it in reliable shape!

Last edited:
Tomorrow, I need to figure out what to do with the brakes. They are soft and need bled and a grabbing hard on the left side.

The first wheel cylinder I tried to bleed twisted off the bleeder. So I had a new wheel cylinder but could not get the line off the old wheel cylinder. I got it out but the but is stuck to the line. So I need to see if I can get.The short lines made for the front drums. The part that comes after the rubber line.

Other than that, I've been very happy with the car so far. It sounds very good, no ticks, no ticks. No clicks, no knocks. I'll get the exhaust on and get the brakes working better, then had head to KS.

I'm excited, this is a solid car, with a pretty good interior too. I can't wait to get it in reliable shape!

So are you going to make new lines from the proportioning valve to each side of the front?

Running great, headed home, first 50 miles going well. She likes 63 mph, just cruises.

Glad I got new tires cuz it's raining steadily.

20181007_143520.jpg
20181006_224414.jpg

Made it home! 11 hours and 500 miles! No road repairs or breakdowns. Full report tomorrow.
20181008_001632.jpg

Good news is she's home.

My dad and I left Wichita right about midnight planning on stopping somewhere to rest but we didn't. Made it into Webster City, Iowa about 6 am. So we got a motel room and slept till about 10:30. Chris, the seller, had messaged me asking when we would be there. I said, "20 minutes!"

Walked up to the car and it was pretty much exactly like I thought it would be except the interior was less faded than it looked in the pictures. The body and underbody were in better shape than I had hoped. The engine looked safely covered in 46 years of oil, grease and dirt. It was locked so we went in to talk to Chris and he met us with the keys and a gas can.

I put in the battery I had brought along and with just a little gas down the throat she fired right up. I expected engine noise of some kind but this 318 sitting in a car with 107,000 miles just sat there with hardly a vibration, it was loud because it had no muffler but is sounded great.

It was raining and it rained pretty much the entire trip. So first order was to get windshield wipers. The only 15" wipers they had in Webster City didn't have the right adapter but the optional zip tie adapter made it work. The motors worked and the wipers wiped.

As the engine was warming up two things were noticed. Fuel was dumping all over the intake and the heater hose was leaking at the water pump. I put the new carb on and the fuel problem was fixed. Decided to go ahead and get the paperwork out of the way and head over to O'reilly's to fix the eminent issues.

Chris also has a 1970 340 complete Swinger car, and a very nice white Dart Sport. We talked for a little about cars and mopars. He said this had been a one owner car and he even said "typical little old lady". Got the title, put on my tag and headed off.

Luckily the rain let up for while while I was working in the parking lot of O'Reilly's. My dad started feeling under the weather on Friday so he was relegated to sitting in the car most of the time. He did notice however that the tires, while they looked great from the side, once we got on pavement we noticed that 3 of the 4 had deep age cracks inside the tread. On the way there the ammeter was showing discharging so I had my dad take the alternator and battery in and have them tested.

I replaced the bypass hose and the leaky heater hose and added a gallon of antifreeze. The alternator came back as defective so I got a new one. The battery also showed defective but it was a brand new walmart battery so I just put it back in since they had charged it for me. Alternator and cooling system taken care of I decided to look at the brakes before leaving for Fort Dodge about 20 miles away.

The brakes worked after a pedal pump but it grabbed on the left side. I started to work on the brakes, shoes went on fine but I wanted to bleed the brakes. I sucked all of the "fluid" out of the master cylinder and added fresh brake fluid. I tried the left front first. It was a no go. Finally I decided, well I do have new wheel cylinders so I finally tried one more time and snapped the bleeder off. I had new rubber lines for the front but not the line between the rubber hose and the wheel cylinder. The line at the wheel cylinder would not budge, PB blaster, wire wheel, nothing. So I decided to leave it like that. I was able to bleed the front right. It did stop fine after a pedal pump so we headed off to Fort Dodge to get tires put on.

Stopped and filled the tank because the fuel smelled old. It took 11 gallons. We headed off to Fort Dodge. It ran very well. I took it easy as I got used to the state of the brakes. When it settled into a cruising speed it was running and riding very smooth. It didn't even have any wind noise. Went to walmart ordered the tires and we were going to go eat dinner while the tires were put on. The guy came out to inspect the car and get VIN etc. At this time I noticed that the gas tank was dripping gas. Not a hug amount but it was leaking. They said they couldn't work on the car that way. I asked If I could take the tires off and bring them in they said "Yes, but how are you going to do that?" I produced 4 jackstands from the trunk and off we went.

My friend Matt from Minnesota came down to visit while we were there. He was getting there about the time we were headed to the restaurant. We had a nice dinner and some drinks, then went back to walmart to pickup and install the tires and wheels.

The one tire that was in good shape was the same brand as the new tires so I kept the tire for a spare. Put the new tires on and promptly laid a patch of rubber on the gas spill in the parking lot. Just kidding, we went to the hotel to check in.

It rained all night and in the morning over breakfast I pared down my list of what I wanted to get done. Heater, turn signal lights, a cigarette lighter socket and wash the car off.

I had scoped out a car wash that was off the beaten path a little. It was drizzling so not a lot of traffic there anyway. There was car show going on and I worked as the announcer announced cars over a PA system. That was nice because the Dart's AM radio did not work.

The heater was stuck in wide open position so heat was getting into the cabin. The fan didn't work, but I noticed a toggle switch under the left side of the map light. I hooked it up to power and ... FAN! Full blast. I shifted the air manually to come out the floor and defroster. Check.

The right turn signal indicator didn't work but the right turn signals did, even on the fender, the left turn signal indicator lit up, but no left front turn signal. It turned out to be a cut wire to the socket. Weird but easy to fix. Brake lights? Check. Headlights? Checkish. Dimmer switch didn't work. I installed a temporary 12v cigarette socket, washed the outside of the car off, cleaned all of the glass and mirrors and we were ready to take off.

I decided we should stop every 100 miles to fill up and re-check repairs. The first fill up showed 10 mpg. The next one showed 15.7mpg. After that we switched to 150 miles between fill-ups. We were taking state highways so we were slowing down through towns about every 10-15 miles. The Dart was happy cruising at any speed between 60 - 70 (gps showed that was more like 56-67). It was a lot of rolling hills so a lot accelerating loudly. This really didn't drive or ride like a 46 year old car with over 100,000 miles.

For the first hour driving in the Dart it was fine. Dash lights worked and headlights were doing a good job. But the all of a sudden the dash lights went out, the other interior lights still worked, the heater control was lit up, the radio was lit up, the gear selector indicator was lit up. So a lot of turning on the dome light to see how fast I was going before I found my flash light.

The brakes had been no problem. I had learned to even due an emergency stop effectively with them. At some point we decided to drive all the way home instead of taking an overnight rest. The car was doing fine and we both wanted to get home. I said I didn't have any problem going on the interstate for a short time to get over to the main US route back home. So we did about 25 miles on I80 going 75. At this point my dad was the lead car so I didn't have to check the speedometer so often. I just had to keep up with him.

We made our last fill-up and stop in Nebraska about 170 miles from home and we were on the final stretch. The first town we had to slow down through I went to stop and the pump wasn't there. It has some brakes at the very bottom but that was it. I was able to stop at a stop light without incident so I decided I would just keep going without saying any thing. I check and the parking brake did work if I needed it. Luckily I didn't.

We made it home and parked. I still had to ride with my dad an hour to his house and my truck, then back home so by the time I hit the hay I had been on the road for almost 13 hours.

I woke today at about 1 PM to see my basement was flooding due to the sump pump getting stuck in the off position. I went out to the Dart and it had 3 inches of water in the rear drivers side floor pan. I'm going to get in into the Garage and get the water and seats and carpet out.

Fun trip, glad I drove it back, it proved itself a great running car. I'm excited to bring her back to a semblance of glory.

20181006_135301.jpg
20181006_135307.jpg
20181006_140931.jpg
20181006_155042.jpg
20181006_164315.jpg
20181006_170805.jpg
20181006_170820.jpg
20181006_170823.jpg
20181006_170854.jpg
20181006_171705.jpg

20181006_224354.jpg
20181007_143520.jpg
20181007_143524.jpg

There were Sparky's One Stops all through Iowa and Nebraska, I took this picture in Arthur, NE. My dad's name is Arthur and his nickname is Sparky.

20181007_150051.jpg

20181007_211030.jpg
20181007_211036.jpg
20181008_001632.jpg

I got the wet interior out. If I had to guess, I think most of the water in the back seat well is from the quarter glass seal, that seems to be where it was coming from. Also the left rear seat belt retractor mount is almost falling off, that may have been sending water in as well, It may not look immaculate but I'm pleased with the condition it's in. I think I can get away with patching in these areas with holes. I'll know more when it dries out and I can take a clean up wheel to the front areas. The driver door has been replaced, I can see sublime paint under the window mouldings. Also they didn't get a great match on the interior paint color. It matches the outside but not the inside paint.

The seats are in good condition. The backseats are in fantastic shape and the front needs some attention. The front seat is also broken down on the driver's left side. I've got new carpet coming but not going with plush, I've always liked the look and utility of the loop carpeting.

First thing to do is to get the floor rust fixed. I mentioned at the first but this is going to be a rolling repair. I don't want to call it a restoration because that's not what's happening here. I want to slow the rust down and get it running great first. Then move on to making it look better. Not a show car, but something that looks nice to drive. Most projects will be slow and done one spot at a time to avoid having the car completely apart.

As far as the body, the first thing I'll do it fix the rust on the sail panel and paint the roof about the same color the vinyl top was.

20181008_195551.jpg
20181008_195558.jpg
20181008_195719.jpg
20181008_195748.jpg
20181008_195755.jpg
20181008_195804.jpg
20181008_195821.jpg
20181008_195905.jpg
20181008_195930.jpg
20181008_200002.jpg

If you ever think your garage is too small, the last picture will make you feel better. I can get both doors open, but most of the time I'll probably have it pointed in one way or the other and to the side so I'll have plenty of room to work on one area.

I'll have more room once I move two bicycles and one restored Honda CL350 somewhere else. I hate to sacrifice the beer fridge but I may have to in order to have more room in the winter. Maybe this is whisky work...

20181008_200010.jpg
20181008_200044.jpg
20181008_200057.jpg
20181008_200102.jpg
20181008_200139.jpg
20181008_200201.jpg
20181008_200255.jpg
20181008_200314.jpg

I think you can tackle what needs to be done! Congratulations!
Thanks! First up mechanically is the brakes. Now that I have it home I can take my time and replace all of the brake lines, the master cylinder, and clean up the drums.

-
Back