slow starter at wits end

-

swinger74

Reaction score
hello, i am having issues trying to start my rebuilt engine. its a 383 833 combo, when i try and turn the engine over its very slow/almost not wanting to even turn. I turned the engine over by hand when i was setting the timing and didnt notice any issues. i had an extra starter that i swapped out and its the same thing, i even jumped the starter relay and nothing changed. any idea what else could be causing this?

hello, i am having issues trying to start my rebuilt engine. its a 383 833 combo, when i try and turn the engine over its very slow/almost not wanting to even turn. I turned the engine over by hand when i was setting the timing and didnt notice any issues. i had an extra starter that i swapped out and its the same thing, i even jumped the starter relay and nothing changed. any idea what else could be causing this?

Lets start with battery. What is the voltage prior to and the during crancking?

bad ground, poor connection, corrosion, undersized wiring, weak battery

I would try turning by hand again and see how much torque it takes to turn it

Also, make sure to check your grounds. Do you have more than JUST the negative cable going from the battery to the engine?

Sorry i forgot to mention, all new cables & connections. New battery on trickle charger. i have a ground going to the block, cleaned up the block where the starter mounts. i even wired a ground to the starter stud.

Sorry i forgot to mention, all new cables & connections. New battery on trickle charger. i have a ground going to the block, cleaned up the block where the starter mounts. i even wired a ground to the starter stud.

Sounds like you think you have it covered!

Do you have a multi-Meter? You need to verify a few things.

You say you bought new cables

Are they the correct size and is the wire fine or coarse? Cheap wires will use larger strains of wire with isn't good the finer the wire in the cable the less loss to the other end. Too small a wire will also cause voltage loss

As 1969383S stated use a multi meter and check voltage at the starter when cranking

Take the starter you pulled to the auto parts store or to a rebuilder and have them check it out to see if it is pulling excessive voltage

You never said what starter you are using, factory chrysler gear reduction or the mini starter

Chrysler made 2 different starters standard and one that was for the bigger engines that was 5/8" longer. I worked at Chrysler when they made the starter in the 70's in Indy, I can tell by looking which one it it, but with a big block in an A body probably don't have room for the high torque starter.

-
Back