Slow to build oil PSI

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok the 318 in my truck is slow to build oil PSI when it cold of when hot take about 5 sec to get to the center of the gauge. Once it get up to the right psi it fine does not fall much after driving. I am running 10-40 now will it help if I switched to 5-30. I plan on freshening up the engine but not a bit so want to keep if up while it still in there.

Are you using the stock gauge in the dash or an aftermarket gauge?

the stock gauges may take a while to get to the reading. It may be due to their response time. It may not be anything to worry about.

VERY first thing I'd suspect is the gauge itself

As long as it don"t "knock" or "tick" when it starts up it is the gauge or sending unit.
My old power wagon some times takes about 30 seconds for the gauge to hit mid ways.

If it's not a mechanical gage it may take a litle while. Don't sweat it. I never had a factory gage that was fast responding.

just a normal knock like you hear on cold starts
That is often a rod knock, but could be a lifter too. Does it go away right about when the oil pressure starts registering on the guage? Is this what you said lasts for 1-2 seconds? Still woudl like to know if it is a deep knock or a high pitched tick; just another clue.

just a high pitch tick will go away in about 3 seconds after start up I know that's normal. I think I am going to put a aftermarket oil and temp gauge in it.

-
Back