Sly Fox Racing 1968 Dart

-

Sly Fox Racing

Sly Fox Racing
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my 68 Dart. Just got started a few months ago. I will update this as I get more accomplisehed. Thx.

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0005.jpg

0009.jpg

0018.jpg

0020.jpg

I started the driver's side. It looks like I have the whole rear corner of the car cut out.

0021.jpg

0022.jpg

0023.jpg

0024.jpg

Here is the latest update as 06/03/10. Got the trunk extension in and the replaced the tail light housing. Next will be the lower rear quarter.

0025.jpg

0026.jpg

0027.jpg

Thx for the compliments. I just actually learned how to use my welder a few months ago. i just kept practicing on a pieces of scrap metal until I felt comfortable enough to weld on the car. The more I do it the better I get at it.

I've got the quarter patch roughed on. So far everything is coming together fairly easy. I'm going to widen the wheel wells and butt them right up against the framerails. I'm going to do that after I get the old trunk pan out and before I install the new one. I imagine it would be easier that way. Thats one of the only things I've never liked about the Darts.............no wheel well room. It will now.

0029.jpg

0030.jpg

Looking good. Looks like what I am doing to a 66 Fury III right now. Did you make your own patch panels? Mini tubs are a pain, but are so worth it when done.

I've got the quarter patch roughed on. So far everything is coming together fairly easy. I'm going to widen the wheel wells and butt them right up against the framerails. I'm going to do that after I get the old trunk pan out and before I install the new one. I imagine it would be easier that way. Thats one of the only things I've never liked about the Darts.............no wheel well room. It will now.
I hope that is a Miller Lite in a Miller Lite coozy....I work at Houston Distributing...we are a Miller/Coors distributor along with many other brands..keep up the good work

Looking good. Looks like what I am doing to a 66 Fury III right now. Did you make your own patch panels? Mini tubs are a pain, but are so worth it when done.

I got the patch panels from Paddock. But I might as well made them from scratch though. The patch panels were not accurate and the quality blew. I just used the original quarter patch since it still had it's original shape and just traced it the best I could onto the patch panels and trimmed the new panels until they fit.

I hope that is a Miller Lite in a Miller Lite coozy....I work at Houston Distributing...we are a Miller/Coors distributor along with many other brands..keep up the good work

Sorry...........it was Bud Light in coozy. I do drink Miller Lite from time to time when I want something different though if that makes you feel any better.

Does anyone know exactly how big of a slick will fit under a Dart after widening the wheels wells to the frame? I haven't measured yet. I'm only running a 10.5" slick and I know it will fit but i just wondered what biggest size is that will fit.

That's gonna be bad ***, what are the build plans?

It's going to start out as a 408 stroker s.b. Maybe down the road it will converted to a Hemi after I come up with funds for that particular change-over. Anyways I'm hoping for 10.70's to 10.80's car. Something that will be pretty quick on the dragstrip and intimidate other people when they see me drive it to car shows and cruises. The color of it (as long as I don't change my mind) will be either B-5 Blue or Burnt Orange with the black '68 bumble-bee stripe. I'm leaning more blue though. I've always loved that color.

I got the lower rear quarter on. I still have welds to grind on other spots before it's ready for final body work process. I also got pics of the wheels that will be used. They are the polished Centerlines Autodrags. They 8.5" wide. The rearend will be narrowed 5" to get the wheels to fit under the wheel well and look the way I like them to. I had to buy the rear wheels new but I picked up both front wheels (4.5" wide) off ebay for $100.00. They are in perfect condition so I saved myself a few bucks there.

0032.jpg

0035.jpg

0033.jpg

0034.jpg

I got the patch panels from Paddock. But I might as well made them from scratch though. The patch panels were not accurate and the quality blew. I just used the original quarter patch since it still had it's original shape and just traced it the best I could onto the patch panels and trimmed the new panels until they fit.

Welcome to the club of measure and fit, measure and fit. :-D

Looks good. Patch panel quality has always been an issue even from the "reputable" dealers.

Thx for the comments. I'm going to be jumping in on the trunk pan now. Then widen the wheel well housings. I gotta feeling I'll be saying a few choice words about it during this phase.

I got the left side done. I ran out of primer right at the end so it looks like kind of funny in the pics. I had to bust a can of grey out to finish it. Its not finished as far body work is concerned. I just wanted to get the bare metal covered up. I love being on vacation. I have gotten more done in the last couple of weeks than I have in the last two months.

0036.jpg

0037.jpg

0038.jpg

-
Back