small ball joint vs big small joint

-

cmac64dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of upper control arms on ebay. When I opened them up they looked the same as my uppers I pulled off my 64. I didn't do any serious measuring yet but they look like the same that came off my 9 inch drums. I guess what I was hoping for is that my eyes are failing and that I didn't get bad info from the seller. He said they came off a 75 disk brake a body. Is the difference between the big and small ball joints significant? I will press the old joints out tomorrow but I thought maybe I could get a quick answer

The difference between the small and large ball joint should be readily apparent! BTW, the ball joints are unscrewed with the appropriate size ball joint socket - definitely not pressed in or out!

Last edited:
The "big ball joints" will not fit the "small ball joints" spindles. Most people change out the upper control arms to the Large ball joint to accommodate the swap to a Big bolt pattern wheel, and late model disc brakes. The difference being the tapered shaft that goes into the spindle. And the ball joint itself is bigger so you cannot just unscrew and replace with a different size. And it is best to mount control arms in the car and then unscrew them with the correct socket and a LONG breaker bar. Trust me on that, no way to hold in a vice that is as good.

thanks, Ill get a better look at it tomorrow , they were pretty grubby. The actual hole is larger right?

Yes, I have everything needed except the stock upper with the larger ball joint for the change to disk brakes. Really I have adjustable uppers I was going to use but was looking for a set of stock uppers in case I didn't like them

Cannot stress this enough, if you use a press to remove the upper ball joints you will have two upper control arm shaped paper weights!!!

The ball joints have threads and take a special ball joint socket. And the small and large upper ball joints take different sockets as well.

You can buy adapter sleeves from Dr. Diff, to adapt the small ball joint to the 73 and up spindles.

Yup, that's an option too! Not sure how that works out for strength, but the upper ball joints weren't ever really an issue.

I didn't know that was an option, man ,dr diff has some good stuff.. thanks

Yes he does! Cass is the man. I have a bunch of stuff from him on my cars, his brake kits are awesome.

small ball joint was good for the factory 383 and 440 A bodies

can anyone recommend a good ball joint socket and size for the larger ball joints. glasses and a little light and PRESTO I could see the difference . I also need a tether to keep my glasses close

One of your local part stores might have that ball joint socket in their "loan-a-tool" box.
Their was a post long ago about a odd socket from Harbor Freight that fit the ball joint close enough.
I forget the details. Maybe just harbor freight in search here would find it. Good hunting

You can remove the old ball joint using a large pipe wrench, at least I did in my early-A (small joint). But, after de-rusting and painting the UCA, I wasn't about to scratch it w/ the pipe-wrench, so bought the special socket. Note: install the grease fitting later. One one car, the new ball joint was a bit loose. That is common because the holes are not really tapped, but rather cut by the ball joint threads, so can get buggered-up. As many, I secured it w/ 2 small spot welds. Those can be easily ground off to remove someday.

-
Back