-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric's440Duster

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
Hello, I'm in need of adjustable push rods for my stocker 318. That machine shop did a crappy job with installed height of the valve stems. I want to correct this with adjustable push rods. Mopar performance made some # 31592. I seeing if someone can help me out. Just trying to save some bucks before moving onto adjustable rockers. But, I'll entertain a good deal on adjustable rockers with hydraulic push rods if anyone can help me out.

Thank you, Eric..

Is that a good plan?
Will the adjustable section clear the pushrod tunnels, or will you have to install them inverted ? and if you do, what happens if a loc-nut works loose? And then, there's the question of strength, can they take the abuse?
And finally, I assume you are running hydraulic lifters? in which case it won't matter if the valve stem heights vary, because the plungers inside the hydros, can suck up a chitload of variance. That is partly why they were invented. I think the variance would have to be extremely huge, before the lifter runs out of room.
BTW
your lift at the valve is NOT affected by this situation whatsoever, and in a stocker, only you will know about it.

Last edited:
I always thought of the adjustable pushrod as a "buy 2 and mock up an intake and an exhaust" type thing before you get some customs made off those 2. I have always just gone adjustable. Cheap enough nowadays, ~$150 here. You can cut down slant pushrods for your V8 if you get 2 more.

Harley motorcycles run adjustable pushrods, but they are IMO, "extremely" robust for the application. Ok maybe not extremely, lol, but I don't think the Mopar adjustables would make it around the block,. IIRC the adjustable screw section is maybe 1/4"diameter, fairly long, and I doubt it is hardened....... I think it was just designed as a set-up tool. I sure wouldn't use it for anything else....... altho I too once thought about it... lol.

Last edited:
Do you know what length push rods you need to run adjustable rockers? I have multiple sets of different lengths & will make you a deal on a set.

Adjustables are sold by Manton, Smith Bros, etc.

You should have .050 or so travel in your juice lifters to compensate for valve stem heights.

Lots of early Hemis got adjustable pushrods when the owners switched to solid lifters. A workable solution.

I agree with Manton of Smith Brothers, but let's straighten something out here. You will NOT be correcting uneven valve stems, nor will you be correcting anything they have an effect on. All that will allow you to do is get the lifter preload correct. Other than that, nothing else about the situation will be "correct". There's only one way to correct it and that's through a correct valve job, or replacing parts.

I'm not knocking what you're trying to do, please understand. I just want you to know that it's still not going to be "right".

Is that a good plan?
Not optimized…..
Will the adjustable section clear the pushrod tunnels, or will you have to install them inverted ?
No and no. The adjustment nuts are up top.
and if you do, what happens if a loc-nut works loose?
This should not ever be the issue. Knowing that it could work loose if it was not tightened well, you would snug them up good and they’ll stay put.
And then, there's the question of strength, can they take the abuse?
Yes they can though the less you have to extend the rod the better. I’ve seen these in use in street strip engines for a long time. Engine power was able to put a full loaded Duster into the 12’s for years until I lost contact with the fella.
And finally, I assume you are running hydraulic lifters? in which case it won't matter if the valve stem heights vary, because the plungers inside the hydros, can suck up a chitload of variance. That is partly why they were invented. I think the variance would have to be extremely huge, before the lifter runs out of room.
BTW
your lift at the valve is NOT affected by this situation whatsoever, and in a stocker, only you will know about it.
I agree with this however, having all the pushrods at there correct lengths for the rockers and there motion is important & desirable. Overall lift is effected by pushrod length. Nothing to say about geometry.

Thank you for the responses, yeah, I have thought it over. I'll take the heads to a good shop and have them fix the installed height. Probably will need some new valves to fix. Two of the intakes are at least 1/8 off from the others, that is too much difference, I do not want to hear embarassing valve train ticking. I obtained this engine in a trade deal and found other things I do not like, but all fixable. For the cost of Crower 70005-1 @ $20.bucks each, and I would need 4, I'll toss that towards correction, and it will be right. I have used the adjustable push rods in the past and they clear fine, they were a cheap alternative to adjustable rockers back in the day.
Cheers, Eric..

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back