-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin74

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I bought a 1966 Formula S with seized 273. I’ve given up on unseizing this engine.

Now looking to buy a budget running small block with working automatic.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hello Sir,

I’ll poke around EBay and Craigslist to see what comparable setups are going for. I never want to insult anyone with a low ball offer. Is your’s basically stock? If so, that’s perfectly OK.

By the way, will a 727 fit my 66 Barracuda, or should I stick with the original 904?

Thanks,
Kevin

is the seized 273 a commando engine? I am looking for one to completely rebuild so I don't care if it is seized. I have 2 1965 273 engines that ran when I pulled them. they are stored in my barn full of oil and both turn free. I would consider trading a working engine for the seized one.

is the seized 273 a commando engine? I am looking for one to completely rebuild so I don't care if it is seized. I have 2 1965 273 engines that ran when I pulled them. they are stored in my barn full of oil and both turn free. I would consider trading a working engine for the seized one.
Hi Jeff,

Yes, this is a Commando 273. I’ve got the original window sticker for the car. It’s a real Formula S that no one has ever modified. However, it has been sitting since 1991.

I would be interested in trading, but when you said “barn”, I fear that you aren’t in Phoenix.

Well, maybe you’re up in the Northern AZ forest...

Stick with the 904. Get a 68+, much better selection of convertors. Your good on the slip yoke driveshaft. Youll need a shifter though as your 66 was still a cable IIRC.

Get the pistons out. Top off the bores with 50/50 ATF and solvent and let them soak through.

I would be interested in trading, but when you said “barn”, I fear that you aren’t in Phoenix.

Well, maybe you’re up in the Northern AZ forest...
I am not but if you have a Fastenal near you you can ship for cheap and I can do the same. the engine just has to be on a pallet strapped down.

It would be easier just to get the seized pistons free. What have you tried? ATF/Solvent and get a 24" breaker bar on the crank bolt. Just break the torque on the mains and rods so they are not helping the seizure..Move it up and down daily until the pistons free themselves, then pull and clean. Farm trick: Hang a sandbag or 2 on the breaker bar to give it constant tension overnight. It will eventually free itself, dont rush it or you could damage something. Dont beat on piston tops. If the crank is in a position to take a few caps off the driver bank and let the crank fight less than all 8 pistons, you could use that process to break a few at a time. Evaporust works great but wont penetrate oil. If everything is still dry, you could try that or cheap vinegar that is slightly acidic.

It would be easier just to get the seized pistons free. What have you tried? ATF/Solvent and get a 24" breaker bar on the crank bolt. Just break the torque on the mains and rods so they are not helping the seizure..Move it up and down daily until the pistons free themselves, then pull and clean. Farm trick: Hang a sandbag or 2 on the breaker bar to give it constant tension overnight. It will eventually free itself, dont rush it or you could damage something. Dont beat on piston tops. If the crank is in a position to take a few caps off the driver bank and let the crank fight less than all 8 pistons, you could use that process to break a few at a time. Evaporust works great but wont penetrate oil. If everything is still dry, you could try that or cheap vinegar that is slightly acidic.

White Vinegar, Dawn Dish Detergent, and Simple Green. It's worked for me before. This post is great advice BTW.... I like the Sandbag idea....

JW

pishta is right kevin. if you can save the 273 you would be better off. this is a matter of opinion but the 273 is a lighter engine. it is more correct for your car. they often have mechanical cams and lifters and are capable of high rpm or good daily drivers. I have 8 of them in running barracudas one of which is a 1966 formula s. if you do decide to not use the 273 I would still like to trade or buy your seized one. good luck

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great advice. I pulled the heads, with the engine in the car, and put a breaker bar on the crank. Couldn’t free it.

Since I’ve resigned to pulling the engine, I’ll try loosening the main and rod bolts and the other tricks you suggested.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back