Small Block Crate engines

-

68/408

Reaction score
Just getting started on a 68 Valiant and have been looking at Indy, Blueprint and CMengines small block crates. I am sure this has been on here before but I was wondering what everyone thinks about the above three and if there is anymore builders out their that I have missed. I just found the CMengine site and was impressed with the varity of small blocks they have. Thanks

Most people want to buy a crate either for the convience or because they don't know how to build an engine. Either way if you really want piece of mind then at least pull the pan, check the torque on the mains and rods, pull the valve covers and check the torque on the head bolts. Inspect it as good as you can and clean any left over machining particles out you may find. You'd be surprised what I've seen.

Most people want to buy a crate either for the convience or because they don't know how to build an engine. Either way if you really want piece of mind then at least pull the pan, check the torque on the mains and rods, pull the valve covers and check the torque on the head bolts. Inspect it as good as you can and clean any left over machining particles out you may find. You'd be surprised what I've seen.

What he said , OR call Brian at IMM Engines aka OU812 here on FABO and he'll personally build you what ever you want at a very competitive price .

I have had an ongoing message string with the folks at Carolina Machine Engines or CME and was also very impressed. What had lead me down this path is that being old school back in the day and having nothing but time on my hands I was able to build a relationship with a decent machine shop. That and when someone said they could do it they did it without ruining it.

I would be curious if anyone has had any official dealings with these folks or other crate engine suppliers? I am about ready to pull the trigger on this deal and place the order.

Thanks pariishpbs for responding! Please let me know how you make out with either pulling the triger with CME or any of the others. Have you looked into Indy or Blueprint? Let me know, Thanks

I use a local machine shop for all of our machine work. One thing to remember Crate engines are mass produced. clearances are checked on the first build. After that they are all assumed to be the same. ("Why check valve to piston clearance the last one was good")and so on.
When picking a machine shop a couple of questions should be asked.
1. walk the shop and look at his organization of customers parts. Are finished parts and motors bagged and in a clean order. If you see machined parts goin out the door not in a plastic bag don't look any farther.
2. make sure everything is done in house and none of their work is sent out. balancing etc.
3. ask if they have a rottler or simular block machine. if not walk out.
4. Look for new head machines that do all the work in one machine so all installed heights are identical. Sonic testing is a must.
5. the machines should be newer and cleaned. If you see a machine that isn't being used that wasn't cleaned they don't respect they're own tools. they are probably out of tolerance. I have delt with several shops in the north east. I found HTA machine shop in Wiesport pa to be the best for me you need to find someone near you using the info above . I have seen Crosley motors there from england. from Indian motors to blown Hemis to Tractors and big diesel's , This is the type of machinest you want building your motor. Crate motors are like M&M's you never know whats inside. Build your own. Hughes engines is also high on my list as is Barton racing Engines. Its just that HTA is good and they are closer and prices are reasonable. He just finished our super charged omni motor, were you ever in a omni that goes to 7800 without a balance shaft and not vibrate the dash. I didn't think it was possible. some shops are really good at what they do. you just have to find one for yourself.

Call Dan Costello @ Performance Only in Delray Beach Fl. 561-758-6604
He is building my 360 magnum engine . Great Guy, takes time with you to discuss your needs for build, very reasonable on pricing and a strong reputation.

I'd agree with most of above. IMO, nowadays there are all kinds of "crate" egnines. Which run the gamut from mass produced deals, to custom built to your specs deals. A "crate engine" just means it's built for you and comes assembled. IMO, that means it's been run to check leaks, heads re-torqued, cam broken in, and includes the ignition and carb that are bascially set but will require tweaking. Anyone could build that if they are a competant shop. Where thigns go differently is trying to get more for less. As John Ruskin says, "it can't be done". My own experience is stay waway from MP, Hughes, and Indy. I've counselled others with issues with Blueprint so I'd look elsewhere. Dan (at Performance Only) is top notch, as are Muscle Motors, or a slew of others accross the country. I use a shop that's 1 1/2 hours from me because IMO, he's the best at what I need done, and he has the best equipment. He could do a "crate" engine too. But I like to have a local guy on the phone to talk to. It's very easy to get promises and miscommunications over long distances...

I know this is a old thread but has any one used or have any thoughts on Mancini racing's crate 360? Getting ready to replace a very worn out 273 and looking at all my options. Thanks

-
Back