Small block gives those LS a smack !

-
Exactly! Designed for the competition only.

Would love to see this motor with a power adder to really push the limits of the factory block. They have already gone well over what most think it can handle.
Handle the power for a dyno run competition is one thing.
Long life in a car under a heavy foot is another.
How long this would actually last is a great question we can only speculate on. That is unless someone here has done a serious effort build like the article. I have no way of knowing. I couldn’t even guess. But I’d try it out!
LMAO

Cool build, I just don't understand doing a small block for this level of NA power though.

Cool build, I just don't understand doing a small block for this level of NA power though.

It was a range of 370 to 490. The lower the cubic inches the better the math can be for you if you make the power. When you read the rules, it’s more than just making a lot of HP. Though that is the goal, they divide it down. Power vs cubes vs dollar spent = a number. It kind of works out to be doing more with less. I forget how they do it. The rules are available somewhere around on line. RAMM competed in this.

If you go with a big block, then you go large or you stay small. A 383 or 400 B engine could be an interesting route. Since the 383 is closer to the small block built above, take some time out and think about what you would do to top the small block. Remember, not knowing is the cubic inch working against you but so is cost.
I think this to be a good brain exercise.

It was a range of 370 to 490. The lower the cubic inches the better the math can be for you if you make the power. When you read the rules, it’s more than just making a lot of HP. Though that is the goal, they divide it down. Power vs cubes vs dollar spent = a number. It kind of works out to be doing more with less. I forget how they do it. The rules are available somewhere around on line. RAMM competed in this.

If you go with a big block, then you go large or you stay small. A 383 or 400 B engine could be an interesting route. Since the 383 is closer to the small block built above, take some time out and think about what you would do to top the small block. Remember, not knowing is the cubic inch working against you but so is cost.
I think this to be a good brain exercise.

Didn't realize it was for a certain class, makes sense.

Jack, the shop owner, screwed my 360 together.
His shop is about an hour from me. Been friends with his dad forever.
He had this motor on racing junk for a while. Think he was asking 15k.
Looks like now its going in his wagon, might be racing with him this Saturday in a street tire footbrake race, he sometimes comes to these.
Anyhow, while back he told me with a few minor tweeks and more squeeze the motor would have been able to make 800 at its current size.
During that dyno session, had to run mufflers on it, and a few other issues.
What he did with that intake is sweet. He had 40 hours in that conversion

Jack, the shop owner, screwed my 360 together.
His shop is about an hour from me. Been friends with his dad forever.
He had this motor on racing junk for a while. Think he was asking 15k.
Looks like now its going in his wagon, might be racing with him this Saturday in a street tire footbrake race, he sometimes comes to these.
Anyhow, while back he told me with a few minor tweeks and more squeeze the motor would have been able to make 800 at its current size.
During that dyno session, had to run mufflers on it, and a few other issues.
What he did with that intake is sweet. He had 40 hours in that conversion

I’d guess 40 hours in that intake easy. That was a TON of work but that TR is still the best as cast TR you can find for the SBM.

-
Back