Small block head gaskets

-

Josshh70

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm building a 360la roller for my truck. Anyways I have a head gasket kit that was give to me by a friend it is a felpro marine kit and the felpro number is 17250 which includes some misc gaskets and head gaskets part no 17050 in it. The 17050 looks very similar to the picture of the 1008 head gasket, however the compressed thickness it is + .10in difference over the 1008's.
Now here is my question could I use it to build my street engine and if so what issues would I run into. Also this build has kb 107 pistons and the compression ratio is going to be in the range of 9.5:1-10:1, I just don't know if I'll be okay with that compression ratio and these gaskets.

I wouldn't use marine gaskets in my engine just in case they are a little different. That's just me.

I wouldn't use marine gaskets in my engine just in case they are a little different.
I agree. Cheap as head gaskets are, I would sure get the right ones. They might be the same, but why chance it?

I don’t know if there is a difference with Marine head gaskets or any other Marine engine gaskets rod that matter. IF you look CAREFULLY at them to see if there is any difference, you can go from there.

I have used Fel-Pro those gaskets with 10-1 engines, no problems. I have also used the .039 Fel-Pro’s at that level as well. No issues. Same build, KB-107’[email protected] & zero decked with J heads as well as Edelbrock heads @ 63cc chambers. They’ll work alright!

Off topic but we used a marine head gasket on our big blocks for years because the bigger bore size put the fire ring outside the chamber on heads like Edelbrock and stealth heads. Not familiar with the small block marine gasket.

I just installed new heads on my 360LA using the 1008. Not sure if there is any risk with the marine kit. Here is some detail on 1008 vs the 8553 Mopar Mitch posted:

The primary advantage of the Fel-Pro Performance line of head gaskets is for more durable combustion sealing. These were tested in NASCAR and others when they were introduced many years ago.... the 1008 can replace the 8553... but the sales person has to be aware of that.... and your intended usage.

More info... The Fel-Pro Performance head gaskets (found and listed in their own catalog) has a thin silicone-type anti-stick coating... helps micro-seal the surface finishes for fluid sealing a little better. The passenger car type head gaskets from Fel-Pro typically have a Teflon coating for ant-stick and micro sealing (the coating on the FP Performance is more expensive and a slightly better)

-
Back