small block headers

-
After the AlterKtion project, I will be looking to build a small block stroker (possibly the Hughes 426 kit). At that point, the 1 5/8" primaries on my Doug's (and just about every other available header) aren't going to get it done. I have no brand allegiance, but I do know that the few 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" primary headers I have looked at are designed to dump the drivers side #1 tube through the hole in the k-member. Once I make the switch to AlterK, that is no longer an option (the drivers' side longitudinal tube occupies that space). The TTI's, while nice, aren't my first choice simply because they are a 1 5/8" step header that goes to 1 3/4", and several of the posts on this thread have already shown that a tuned 1 3/4" makes considerably more power (neither the Doug's or the TTI's are tuned length).

My question: Are there any 1 3/4"+ headers that are underchassis that fit the 67+ A-body that DON'T pass through the drivers' side opening of the k-member (and under/ahead of the lower control arm)?

Thanks!

After the AlterKtion project, I will be looking to build a small block stroker (possibly the Hughes 426 kit). At that point, the 1 5/8" primaries on my Doug's (and just about every other available header) aren't going to get it done. I have no brand allegiance, but I do know that the few 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" primary headers I have looked at are designed to dump the drivers side #1 tube through the hole in the k-member. Once I make the switch to AlterK, that is no longer an option (the drivers' side longitudinal tube occupies that space). The TTI's, while nice, aren't my first choice simply because they are a 1 5/8" step header that goes to 1 3/4", and several of the posts on this thread have already shown that a tuned 1 3/4" makes considerably more power (neither the Doug's or the TTI's are tuned length).

My question: Are there any 1 3/4"+ headers that are underchassis that fit the 67+ A-body that DON'T pass through the drivers' side opening of the k-member (and under/ahead of the lower control arm)?

Thanks!

with the alter-k you can run 67-up headders on an early a i believe right? that should open up some choices.

What is the best "punch for the buck" headers for a small block A body with power steering? I saw one once with a removable tube back next to the rear cylinder by the fire wall. The guy told me he could remove and re- install the drivers side header in roughly 20 minutes. Sounds like a perfect world to me.

Lets get back to his original question..and the answer is tti's...you can also remove and replace the starter in 15 minutes...

with the alter-k you can run 67-up headders on an early a i believe right? that should open up some choices.

Agreed, but my point is that all the large tube headers for 67+ units I looked up dump the drivers' side #1 primary out through the k-member in front of the lower control arm or through the fender (Hedman, Hooker). Since the AlterK longtiudinal will occupy the space where the opening in the k-member used to be, I can't use that style of header (I confirmed with Bill at RMS). I am hoping there are other manufacturers out there that don't use that k-member opening, but I'm not holding my breath. I have thought about trying a header from an E/B body small block but Bill said no dice.

Thoughts?

p.s. - Sorry for the thread hijack.......

Agreed, but my point is that all the large tube headers for 67+ units I looked up dump the drivers' side #1 primary out through the k-member in front of the lower control arm or through the fender (Hedman, Hooker). Since the AlterK longtiudinal will occupy the space where the opening in the k-member used to be, I can't use that style of header (I confirmed with Bill at RMS). I am hoping there are other manufacturers out there that don't use that k-member opening, but I'm not holding my breath. I have thought about trying a header from an E/B body small block but Bill said no dice.

Thoughts?

p.s. - Sorry for the thread hijack.......

gotch ya... what if you modify that one tube with a new bend? shouldn't be that hard to do with all the room the alter-K gives you.

I can replace my starter in 15 minutes too.

Of course, I replaced miine with a late model :-D ..amazing how much smaller they are.

True that!!..

So I guess tti is the way to go, and as everybody said, "they are pricy, but worth it". I am having a hard time finding out how pricy? I have looked up tti.com, summit racing, and a few others, even ebay. It may sound like a stupid question but where do you buy these things and how much? Also does that drivers side rear tube go through the inner fender? They sure don't look anything like the hookers I have on now.
Thanks for all the info guys.

If anybody needs a set of the headers that one tube goes through the fenderwell I have a set for sale.They are new but were used to break in my soninlaws engine. They are for 67 up A body. I will take $135.00 plus shipping fot them. I estimate shipping to be roughly $50.00 due to size in the lower 48!

What kind are they?

So I guess tti is the way to go, and as everybody said, "they are pricy, but worth it". I am having a hard time finding out how pricy? I have looked up tti.com, summit racing, and a few others, even ebay. It may sound like a stupid question but where do you buy these things and how much? Also does that drivers side rear tube go through the inner fender? They sure don't look anything like the hookers I have on now.
Thanks for all the info guys.

I got mine at Mancini Racing.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/tuteenhe.html

I got summit headers, but with manual steering. Hang low ya, but its not a show car so i dont care if they scrape. And I dont think the people who had the Dart with the fenderwall headers cared ither, since the came out behind the front tire. If i remember correctly

-
Back