Small Block Heads

-
894 heads are X heads only with only 2.02" intakes. They are a different casting, but similar specs to 915. The pushrod holes were machined differently in the T/A 915 heads to accomodate the offset rockers. LA engine guides are all the same.
U is a casting
pushrod machining makes a head a 6 pac head- rare
u can have the same casting machined standard- most are
05765809-EECE-4D34-8E38-DEAF24C7C1BD_zpsti4w9wru.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[QUOTE="Locomotion, post: 1972198460
I may have read somewhere why some heads are J, O, U, etc. But I don't recall what the theory was.[/QUOTE]
The story I was told was. The letter on the heads was so the casting at the foundry could be sorted easier. I don't believe any 273 or 318 heads were ever lettered only the larger port 340 & 360.

Those heads are what I call the teardrop non-smog heads. They are a "tweener" head, as they are in between the early castings and the later castings that had the smog holes in them. Your heads have the pads for the smog holes (the tear drop) and no holes (the non smog part).

That is my favorite casting to start with that is OE cast iron.

Is it a J with the bottom cut off...? or part of a U....?or is J part of the U or... lol

Its the same head.

The 73 340 heads had II on them. Not sure if I have seen them on other years. Seems like the letters stopped in 71 or 72.

I have never seen that. Interesting indeed.

yes,,,the 73 340 heads have a II on them...looks like a raised area that forms the II...I have a virgin 73 340 sitting in the shed.

[QUOTE="Locomotion, post: 1972198460
I may have read somewhere why some heads are J, O, U, etc. But I don't recall what the theory was.The story I was told was. The letter on the heads was so the casting at the foundry could be sorted easier. I don't believe any 273 or 318 heads were ever lettered only the larger port 340 & 360.

Some 318 heads , early , had an x on them.

-
Back