Small block mileage

-
Oh! And let’s not forget fuel and how 5-10% ethanol had robbed that much energy out of the same gallon of chemicals compared to yesterday’s fuel. Just the fact a 318 can get between 14mpg and into the 20’s is an amazing fact.

My 67 Dart 273-2 barrel, 904 and a 2.71 8 1/4 rear, 225/70-15 tires got 21 on my last 1000 mile road trip. The 273 has never been apart, never had the valves adjusted with 73,000 miles. Oh! this is with the AC on also. It is gutless, can't even spin the tires-but Oh well.
Maybe so but I bet it’s great to cruise around in!

My cars spend a reasonable amount of time on the Interstate. So they all get 2.71 or 2.76 rear gears. My 67 Dart is to nice to cut up for an overdrive, my 71 Polara in my avatar-well, it's just a cop car with a 440 and a 727, my 69 Coronet R/T will get 2.76's when I start driving it again. Anyone of these can run 85-90 all day long if I could get away with it.
Maybe so but I bet it’s great to cruise around in!

My carbed 5.9 magnum has been getting 16mpg. Bone stock with a Edelbrock air gap, Holley mechanical 750, 10 initial 30 total, 87 swill, 727 3.23’s 28” tire.

My carbed 5.9 magnum has been getting 16mpg. Bone stock with a Edelbrock air gap, Holley mechanical 750, 10 initial 30 total, 87 swill, 727 3.23’s 28” tire.
More power, less mileage?

Why is that more power less mileage ?

Didn't you say you get 18 ish hwy seems he's talking overall avg I'm guessing straight hwy would be better than his 16 mpg avg.

To me intown is more important mpg number, you guy's must spend a lot of time on the hwy.

My cars spend a reasonable amount of time on the Interstate. So they all get 2.71 or 2.76 rear gears. My 67 Dart is to nice to cut up for an overdrive, my 71 Polara in my avatar-well, it's just a cop car with a 440 and a 727, my 69 Coronet R/T will get 2.76's when I start driving it again. Anyone of these can run 85-90 all day long if I could get away with it.

^^ This. All my classics spend the vast majority of their life on the highway. Shortest gear I own is currently installed in my Ford 9 inch is a 3.0. Challenger has a 2.76. I actually have a 2.50 sitting on the shelf I'm thinking of putting in the Ford. Both allow me to roll at highway speeds under 3k rpm. Was talking to another Mopar guy at the gas station as I filled my Challenger, he was passing thru from OR and was sharing picks of his Cuda, Duster and Dart IIRC. Guy walked up and asked what mine would pull in the 1/4.. I said I'd pack a lunch... lol. If I tossed in a 3500 stall TC & 3.50 Sure Grip I'm sure it'd do just fine. Sure I'll give it up off the line.. but driving a few hundred miles in a stretch to Vegas or Monterey sure is a lot more fun with a car that tach's under 4k.

put an 8 speed trans on the 318 and see what you can get , most my old 318 did about 20mpg + on the highway , they can do better

It’s not a fair comparison:
Modern v6 Chrysler -300hp and 28mph
Old style v8 LA 318 140hp and 14-18 mph

difference: computer designed engine and electronics vs Venturi suction device.
multi speed transmission count for anything ? instead of a 3 speed always lugging between gears?

Standard V 8 mileage is 18-22 if a High Po engine 13-17 LOL!

Its just the cost for V8 power I say...V8 power is addicting, I call it power on demand. and the torque, oh the torque...:)

What fresh hell have I awoken? Haven't had a 318 in many years, but we drove our cars differently when gas was $0.39 a gallon. Yes, on that freaking old. Anyway, I appreciate all the info. Was just trying to decide what motor to put in an a body to get the best mileage and still have enough grunt for when I go up into the Rockies.
LOL No 'fresh hell". It is just one of our favorite topics. It' up there with "which cam should I put in my 360", "what are the best spark plugs to use" and "why won't my car start?" The way I see it, there are three camps on this fuel mileage thing. 1) Who cares what the gas mileage is. Just drive your classic car and enjoy it; 2) I love squeezing every MPG I can get from my ride; and 3) I want a classic car with a powerful motor that gets at least decent gas mileage.
I hover between 1 and 2. I do not worry too much about mileage. I get about 10 in town and about 15 on the highway in a 69 Barracuda with modified 340, 3.55 gears and a 4 speed. I am fine with that. Now that being said, if my mileage dropped to 5 in town and 10 on the highway, I'd be looking for the culprit. Adjusted for inflation, there isn't really that much difference between gas cost now and when I was going to college. in 1969-73, I was paying about $0.40 per gallon and earned about $7,000 per year. That equates to working 6.86 minutes to buy a gallon of gas. If you are working today and earning $80K per year with gas at $4.50, you are working 6.50 minutes to buy a gallon of gas. You could ALMOST say that it all comes out in the wash. My main comment is that I certainly understand if you are getting atrocious mileage due to a mechanical defect, then by all means solve that problem. But if you are getting a mileage number that most of us say is about right, then go with the flow.

LOL No 'fresh hell". It is just one of our favorite topics. It' up there with "which cam should I put in my 360", "what are the best spark plugs to use" and "why won't my car start?" The way I see it, there are three camps on this fuel mileage thing. 1) Who cares what the gas mileage is. Just drive your classic car and enjoy it; 2) I love squeezing every MPG I can get from my ride; and 3) I want a classic car with a powerful motor that gets at least decent gas mileage.
I hover between 1 and 2. I do not worry too much about mileage. I get about 10 in town and about 15 on the highway in a 69 Barracuda with modified 340, 3.55 gears and a 4 speed. I am fine with that. Now that being said, if my mileage dropped to 5 in town and 10 on the highway, I'd be looking for the culprit. Adjusted for inflation, there isn't really that much difference between gas cost now and when I was going to college. in 1969-73, I was paying about $0.40 per gallon and earned about $7,000 per year. That equates to working 6.86 minutes to buy a gallon of gas. If you are working today and earning $80K per year with gas at $4.50, you are working 6.50 minutes to buy a gallon of gas. You could ALMOST say that it all comes out in the wash. My main comment is that I certainly understand if you are getting atrocious mileage due to a mechanical defect, then by all means solve that problem. But if you are getting a mileage number that most of us say is about right, then go with the flow.

Well said. 15 highway isn't bad. Probably 17 or so at 55 with a egg between your foot and the gas pedal.
"Smiles per gallon" is my motto.

When people say highway driving, 65 mph is quite a bit different that Interstate driving-75-85. 3.23's actually suck on the Interstate. Maybe most of you city slickers just putt around town all of the time. I grew up in a small town, Had to drive 15-20 miles just to get anywhere. I installed 4.10 gears in my 68 340 4 speed Dart one summer. When I pulled them out in the fall, I vowed never to use low gears in my cars again.
^^ This. All my classics spend the vast majority of their life on the highway. Shortest gear I own is currently installed in my Ford 9 inch is a 3.0. Challenger has a 2.76. I actually have a 2.50 sitting on the shelf I'm thinking of putting in the Ford. Both allow me to roll at highway speeds under 3k rpm. Was talking to another Mopar guy at the gas station as I filled my Challenger, he was passing thru from OR and was sharing picks of his Cuda, Duster and Dart IIRC. Guy walked up and asked what mine would pull in the 1/4.. I said I'd pack a lunch... lol. If I tossed in a 3500 stall TC & 3.50 Sure Grip I'm sure it'd do just fine. Sure I'll give it up off the line.. but driving a few hundred miles in a stretch to Vegas or Monterey sure is a lot more fun with a car that tach's under 4k.

What fresh hell have I awoken? Haven't had a 318 in many years, but we drove our cars differently when gas was $0.39 a gallon. Yes, on that freaking old. Anyway, I appreciate all the info. Was just trying to decide what motor to put in an a body to get the best mileage and still have enough grunt for when I go up into the Rockies.
Slant 6
call me when you pay $8.00 a gallon for gas , you'll care or you have very deep pockets with toilet paper rolls of $100.00 bills

Hummm, your 5.9 works on 87. Mine likes the 89.
Hopefully I’ll be back in it before long. How did you curve the distributor?

When people say highway driving, 65 mph is quite a bit different that Interstate driving-75-85. 3.23's actually suck on the Interstate. Maybe most of you city slickers just putt around town all of the time. I grew up in a small town, Had to drive 15-20 miles just to get anywhere. I installed 4.10 gears in my 68 340 4 speed Dart one summer. When I pulled them out in the fall, I vowed never to use low gears in my cars again.
Wllll, LOL, I just left Long Island where 3.23’s (or 3.55’s) are really good for an all around driver. The 2.76 and like gears, not so much.

Now I’m in middle Florida where a visit to any family or old friends require a interstate Hwy trip, those 2.76ers look really good. Around town, same gears as the island would do fine.

I use interstate and highway interchangeably... I always drive 75-80... :lol:

I drive 24 miles to work without a stop sign (live in the middle of nowhere speed limit 60). But there is definitely some spirited driving in-between. I bet with a Edelbrock 600 and staying out of it I could get 18-19.

Hummm, your 5.9 works on 87. Mine likes the 89.

I had to back the timing off (I had it at 15/35) it would ping. I'm sure it would take more timing with higher octane but it rips on 87 for what it is.

I had to back the timing off (I had it at 15/35) it would ping. I'm sure it would take more timing with higher octane but it rips on 87 for what it is.

Thanks. Thanks I don’t remember where my timing is set up. I’m s been a long while. As it is now, it doesn’t like 87. Ping pang bang…. Not happy. 89 minimum. No real noticeable difference running 93 except a lighter wallet. It weird though, pricing between the 89 & the 93. Sometimes it is significantly different and sometimes it’s within a few cents. Very annoying.

there is more than just gas in life , everything else has gone up as well $80k is not that much when you consider housing food and other **** , depending on where you live , a half decent apartment here costs a min of 1200 to 25000 a month , taxes food and other **** don't leave much over for life
That WOULD suck.
it does suck over $100.00 to fill my Dart lucky I get 320+ miles to a tank so it don't hurt that much $2.25/litre for 89 octane , $2.45/litre for 94 octane $161.00 for 5 gallons of 110 octane and I see hundreds of hickumpus on the road with nothing in them one passenger , they must be giving away money

Last edited:
-
Back