Small Block Mopar Engine Date Code 3-4-66

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I got the chance to get a complete small block Mopar engine with the Date code of 3-4-66. There are a series of numbers stamped on the drivers side of the block that I do not have as of yet but was interested in asking which cubic inch displacement that this engine may be. I thought it may be a poly block 318 with this date code. It may be a 273? Is the crankshaft on these engines forged? I was wondering if these engines have any value? Any info on the heads would be appreciated. I will try to get as much info on this as I can. I do not want to pull the trigger and buy this if it is not worth it as opposed to a later year block. Engine is complete and has only had intake swapped out to eddy performer. Are there any advantages to an early year date of manufacture small block compared to a later year? The price is very cheap and the block is clean and turns freely. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

looks like all u have is the date code at this point the numbers on the other side r the displacement #,s

Numbers on other side of block do not indicate any displacement ID#. They appear to be a serial or manufacture sequence #'s

If its got a performer on it , it aint a poly. 273 has 3 wide spaced core plugs (very front middle and far back), with NO displacement in driver side casting number (318,340 and 360 do, and have closer spaced core plugs, like all in the middle) Itll also have a number stamped in front under the driver head seam, itll be under 1-2 coats of paint and grime. The passenger side should have a casting date and a D N stamp for shift. 273 until the last year all had "light duty" forged cranks but are still stout cranks that can make up a fast revving 273-340 short block. Rods are also light weight. 273's seem to be priced higher than 318's just because they are more "original" in pre 68 Barracudas and its fun to say you got a 273 instead of a "teen". Add pop up factory pistons and hotter cam and you got yourself the "Commando" 4bbl version. Most were solid cammed, but can be made hydro with later lifters and pushrods. Poly 318 is very wide and the valve covers look like about 3 teeth per foot saw blades. Has a weird looking intake too. Nice motors in their own with some interesting power potential.
020612181716.jpg

Here's a poly. Is that what you are looking at?

Attachments

• 318poly.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,103
I don't believe it is a poly block based on the heads. It may in fact be a 273. I will go back and look at the freeze plug location. There is no numbers stamped on the drivers head seam. Block is clean and does not have a lot of grime on it. I have been told it has never been opened up except for the intake changeover. I'm betting it's an early 273 block based on the info provided by Pishta. Thank You for the help. Is it worth $200.00?

$200 complete...ehhh...maybe. Thats pushing a 273 2bbl pricewise unless its ready to go.. Lots more rebuilt, but a tired original...you gotta want it. I paid $50 for one not 2 weeks ago, gave the heads to another member for bringing it to me. 65 heads wont take an Edlebrock Performer unless the intake bolt holes look "worked" ie' wallowed out to take a larger bolt at a different angle. If the Performer looks stock installed, it has later 66 on up heads which doesnt make it original date original to the block (no big deal, they were pretty much all the same into the 318 years) Now some of the early ones are supposed to have closed chambered heads, but I know for a fact that the 4bbl piston was taller than the deck so unless it was the height of a steel shim head gasket, it couldnt be a closed chambered head unless the piston had a quench that went into the combustion chamber.

Thanks for the info. Block is out of car and I can get a really good look at it tomorrow. I will be going over to look at it tomorrow. VC's are off. Any way to determine heads?? I'll bring camera and take pics.

If you can get a part number or casting number off the opposite side of the block that the date code is on we can look it up and find out what it is. If the valve covers are off and you're sure it isn't a poly it has to be a 273. The casting number won't tell you whether it is a Hp engine or not. You'll have to pull a plug and have a peek at the piston top to be sure. tmm

The Hypo pistons are domed and the standards are flat tops with 4 valve reliefs.
I'll show a photo of the Egge HP's which are similar to the stockers. I don't think I have a photo of the standard pistons although I have seen photos here on FABO.

Attachments

• 09_24_0.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 524
  • 100_5164.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 516
Block has a date code of 3-4-66. Not sure of the numbers on the side of the block. I think that this is an early year 273. Info I got was that this motor came out of wrecked 67 Dart GT. I removed the rocker arms and got the numbers off the block. I cannot post the pictures I took of the block. For some reason the upload keeps failing. The numbers on the side of the block are 2806030 and the numbers on the heads are 2843675. Cannot tell if the pistons are domed or flat.

That's a '67 model 273 with later heads ('68-74) on it. Original crank would have been a forged one with the small converter register. It would have had the adjustable rockers that year too unless they were changed when they changed the heads.

A poly 318 block doesn't have front and rear freeze plugs......only ones on the side. That makes them real easy to spot if you have a pile of blocks to look through. The actual block is no wider than any other small block. It's the heads that make the whole engine assy. wider.

Thanks for the help. Now I have to make a decision on if it is worth buying for $200.00. Don't really need this block but hate to see it get trashed.

-
Back