Small block MP .528 solid cam - which valve springs?

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
As the title says - MP says use P5249847 which if I am not mistaken is a single spring with a damper. Is this correct? Any other compatible choices? Beehives?

This is my cam for my small block build. Not interested in comparing other cams here, just need spring info.

- Greg

comp 995 doubles or mp.847 single with dampener.

i run this cam, and have run both springs, right now i'm using the 995

Thanks man.

For RhS heads, trying to figure out what kind of valves I need based on how much machining to the spring seats I need to do. Not as easy as it seems.

Thanks man.

For RhS heads, trying to figure out what kind of valves I need based on how much machining to the spring seats I need to do. Not as easy as it seems.

you have to cut the guides/spring seat down for doubles in order to locate the inner spring.

Check for what seals the guides are setup for, and also retainer to guide clearance at the lift you are running, you can do a mock up with
cam/1lifter/pushrod/1 rocker + shaft/ 1 valve w/lite checking spring and then measure at the retainer.
But just having the theoretical 500/496 lift clearance between retainer/guide should be fine.

me, I like to know.

I used crane 69308's, single with damper, and shimmed them up to get seat pressure.

so .500 lift + seal
how thick is the seal?

Not sure how thick - do you mean how tall? If I use hughues viton seals, they are 5/16' X .530'. Pic in their tech article shows measurement from the top of the seal to the bottom of the retainer.

.500 lift includes subtraction of lash? Cam is .528.... what do you set your lash at?

Not sure how thick - do you mean how tall? If I use hughues viton seals, they are 5/16' X .530'. Pic in their tech article shows measurement from the top of the seal to the bottom of the retainer.

.500 lift includes subtraction of lash? Cam is .528.... what do you set your lash at?

.530 is what the guide was turned down to so the seal would fit.
But if that clearance is with the seal included, cool.

I've set it tight, I've set it loose.....I most power is had with the factory recommended .028 int /.032 exh - thats where I run'em at.

How well does the .528 mopar cam work in 360's? What rev range, what gears, converter, et's, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

How well does the .528 mopar cam work in 360's? What rev range, what gears, converter, et's, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

I model a lot of engines using Desktop Dyno 2K. Dont have any real world experience with it though, perhaps someone else could chime in. Regardless, looks like the .528 cam in a 360 can get you around 435 hp or so with something like OOTB RHS 1.92 heads or mildly ported LA 360 heads.

Rev range appears to be around 6K tops with this combo, then it drops off. You could probably go over but it would likely be diminished returns. Torque peak is approximately 4,500 rpm. Guessing an efficient converter would be around 3,800?

Has a wider LSA (112) than the .509 hyd. and less overlap. Produces better lower RPM torque - like 350 lb/ft @ 2,000. With lash the specs are similar to the .509 with less overall duration.

If you look in the back where the tables are of the old How To Hot Rod Small Block Mopars book, ol Shep says to use the .528 cam for a 12 second 340/360 build.

I've only used it in a 340 but could touch 7200rpmdependingon how I degreed it.
Stick it in the 2* they recommend and you can touch over 7000 rpm.
stick it in 4* and you can get 6800'ish.
it advertises as 28-6900 rpm 284*adv dur- .528 lift- 241*@.050 dur-112cl w/60* o lap

good piece, it idles nice, sounds good but not radical when warm and will still rev with a broad power band.

It will also pull anywhere from 9 -12.5 in vacuum in neutral [4spd only ref to go by]
Basically...in my setup I run it at 107.5 installed and with single plane intake had 9 in of man vac, now with a LD340 dual plane it has 12.5 man vac.

good to know...

I ran one a bagillion years ago in a 73 340 Charger. Car went 13.40s with 3.91s. It was a pig but it was fast for a stock bodied street car. I drove to the track, swapped out my slicks in the trunk, swapped back when done, clicked the A/C on and drove home. Did that for two years. Had a lot of fun in that car.

-
Back