small block ticking issues

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I've just had a small block 360 rebuilt. It now has a terrible tick on the driver's side. It has a hydraulic cam and lifters. The oil pressure on startup is 40 lbs at idle and when the engine's warm pressure drops to about 10 - 12 lbs at idle. The motor has about 45 minutes drive time on the rebuild and at one point the noise went away for 20 minutes or so. Runs good and stout with no missing or backfires etc, just a loud and annoying tick under the driver's side valve cover. I have changed the rocker arms and shafts. (shaft holes pointing down toward the outside of the motor). The oil is a straight 30W. Do I need to go to a higher weight oil? It's driving me nuts! does anyone have any ideas?

Most likely, whoever rebuilt it forgot the oil galley plug that goes right behind the pil pump drive gear. I've seen that one a few times. Pull the distributor, pull the oil pump drive and look down in there with a flashlight and see if there is an oil galley plug or not. My guess is that there isn't one. If there isn't, it's a pain to install with the engine assembled, but it can be done if you're careful.

If it went away even for a short time, I'm inclined to disagree. What camshaft was used? What pushrods? Sounds more like a preload issue.

The cam is a hydralic Mopar Performance from Mancini Racing 280/280 duration - 474/474 lift and the pushrods are Comp Cams 7.500".... would a valve lash cap help?

40lbs at start seems low to me. Even with a drill I am getting 70lbs. Oil gallery bolt is missing or they re-used the old oil pump. 10lbs at warm up is unacceptable. Ticking could be oil starvation at the rocker assembly.

Hot idle on mine are usually around 15-20psi witha stock pump. What does the pressure do at 2000 rpm? 3500rpm?
So i'm guessing this was a "put it together deal", rather than a "measure and blue print" deal. Correct?

-
Back