Small block to Big Block Conversion

-

jjg73

Reaction score
how much of a pain would it be??? lookin at some nice BBs now just wondering if it would cost a fortune to do it. just wondering what it would be for front end upgrades and what not...

I did this in my Dodge 1979 Magnum. (Think Cordoba)
It was easy and the donor car surplied the T bars. Though, it's not a big deal without them.

Total cost was cheap (ish) A possible additional cost would be shortening the driveshaft. The swap kit from schmuacher was what it was and everything else bolted up real easy.

Once you have your engine and tranny ready to go, headers, if used or adapting the exisiting exhaust is a few bucks. Exhaust can be as cheap as header cost and Summit/Jegs true dual exhaust kit for about $220 to your door, everything included to hang it up and go!

One other possible cave eat is where the big block has the entrance/exit for cooling. The engine is a lo-po '78/400 cid, so cooling was not an issue, nor was the rad from the donor car. If your rad is in good shape, you can just get another rad hose and cut accordingly to fit the top. The bottom could be an issue depending on it's location. Drivers or passenger side exit.

Later year big blocks are passengerside, so it hooked right up to the same spot as the small block did. Up top, it ran to the same side, not like a small block. So, if this is the case with a late year BB, 2 rad hose are used with a threaded pipe fitting and some creativity is used to route it.

The earlier year BB have driverside lower hose's. Ethier a new rad or a new housing like a later model ('78) can be used instead to convert. 440source.com has these in aluminum, just a FYI.

Have fun, good luck.

ya i was juggling the thought of just doing some more modding to my modded 340 or just gettin a 493 stroker or a 408 stroker. the 408 i was lookin at seems to be the easier route but having a BB under the hood would be so nice!!!

-
Back