SMALL BLOCK VALVE COVER ID

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I had bought a pair of stock style valve covers some time ago. I had seen on another site a person selling a pair of valve covers that came off of a 340 six pack. The valve covers in the picture look just like the ones i have. Does anyone know what makes those valve covers different than any other 340 valve covers ?

What engine they came on ?

The only ones that are worth more are the finned commando covers

The covers i bought i dont know what engine they came off of. I was looking for stock style covers & the guy said he had a pair. So i bought them.

Full COMMANDO!

BE0C2C43-8A9D-466E-AC3C-9395FAD78E10.jpeg

The correct style for your engine will depend on the year and model of your car . Those appear to be correct for late 60s small blocks .

The correct style for your engine will depend on the year and model of your car . Those appear to be correct for late 60s small blocks .
No, those are for 70-up with the twist on oil cap. They look correct to me for a 70, but I only really know what 67-69 are supposed to look like...

Its a 360 in a 67 barracuda. I went with the stock covers because i figured they would be cheaper.

340 valve covers were unique because of the wire looms. The end ones were taller and there was a large one on the inside. Try finding some correct 68 340 valve covers. People ask an arm and a leg for them.

I was under the impression that the tall leg on the 70-71' left side was to clear the throttle linkage?

It was to clear linkage...passenger side always has a heat shield middle ways on all 340's

6 pak covers are the same as 318/340 for 70. Nothing special .
Actually there is a difference between the 6 pack valve covers and the other 1970 small block ones. It takes a good eye to spot the difference.
Check out all of the different small block valve numbers in the 1970-71 parts catalog.
The first column is 318 engines and the second column is the 340 engines.
A little crazy...

105_7335.JPG

I think the reason the 340 had taller loom stands was because of the higher dual plane intake. But yeah, the 340 covers get more money especially the early ones which can be difficult to find.

-
Back