Small block valve springs upgrade

-

duster 344

Reaction score
So I’m working on a set of 596 360 heads. The cam I’m putting in the engine .507/.511 lift. The factory springs probably won’t handle the lift, the springs that comp cam suggested are a double spring with a dampener. These springs are upto .600 lift and require some machining and different valve seals. I’d like to find a single spring that would suite my needs preferably use the factory retainer. I found some Mopar performance springs. That might work, most say upto .500 lift and may need retainers. Has anyone done such an upgrade and can steer me in the right direction to find such a spring? Thanks

The cam company usually has a recommendation based on that particular camshaft. In most cases the area where the valve seals attach will have to be machined down to accommodate the higher lift cam. 65'

the comp 926 is a single spring, with dampner, very stout spring, usually about 135 to 140 seat, and 350 to 360 open the rate is 416 lbs

The Comp #911 is another single spring with damper with a 373 rate.
1.900 IH is 122lbs and 1.300 IH is 346lbs for reference.
1.850 IH is 141lbs and 1.250 IH is 365lbs for reference.

the spring pressure on those sound about right, I’ll have to look for them and check it out thanks:thumbsup:

the 926 fits the retainers better, 911 is bigger, dia. i've ran 926 on stock retainers.

The 911 is the big block spring. It "might" require the spring pockets in the heads to be enlarged. The Hughes Engines 1110 is a decent small block spring that will get the job done.

Use Beehive springs, large range to choose from. Require less seat pressure, lower rate per in, less strain on the valve train, longer cam life.

I got through to comp cams today, what they told me is that the only way to get the five hundred lift at factory hight is to go double springs. All I have to do is take the valve guides down for different seals. And have all the retainers and keepers that fit. Another hundred and some dollars

All the single springs I found have a bind point at .500 lift. it seems like another can of worms to change install height, find a spring, moremachine work or +5 retainers, and rocker angle

I got through to comp cams today, what they told me is that the only way to get the five hundred lift at factory hight is to go double springs. All I have to do is take the valve guides down for different seals. And have all the retainers and keepers that fit. Another hundred and some dollars

That's BS... I have a set of crane single with damper running a 557 mechanical cam on J heads. Might be the same spring @perfacar mentioned.

The 926 spring has a 1.476 diameter vs the stock 1.4 so not so different probably should have a new retainer. Suggested closed height is 1.80 vs 1.66. And open height at 1.3. With pressure at 109/317. Bind height is 1.14 installed at 1.66 with a .510 lift puts you at 1.15 that’s a little close for comfort I think. I’m new at this technical of a thing. Still learning. That’s why I ask questions. The 926 might work. If a guy got the right retainers and locks. But not sure how the rocker angle would be with factory non adjustable rockers. That’s kinda why I asked if some one has physically done this. Because it may b an easier way to go

The hughes springs I linked to will go .600 lift.

get +.050 retainers and locks to adjust height if necessary

Comp Beehive # 26918 will do the job. 26915 or 26995 also as you need less pressure with beehive springs for the same valve train control.

Comp Beehive # 26918.. $$$$$$$$ pricey little buggers.

The 1110 seams to be the golden ticket. Looking at the numbers, there a drop in solution, meybe take the valve guide down a little for lift. Some of the reviews say there cheep metal, but there’s always someone saying bad things. Is anyone running the Hughes 1110? I’m going to check availability today

The 942 looks like it would work to. That one never came up in my search. And the comp cam rep never brought it up either. Even when I asked about a single spring. I am very thankful for this site and all the great information. I already have the retainers, and I have the part numbers for the locks. If summit will exchange the springs that will be the route to take. They say there instock. The only question is if I need over 300# pressure at open. I have a 296 duration with 246 at 50 on the exhaust and .510 lift. ?

I bought 942-16(single spring) after speaking with Comp about my 20-247-4 cam. Maybe compare the specs between 2 cams? Also, I havent gotten to the point of assembling heads yet. Springs are still in box fyi.
The 942 looks like it would work to. That one never came up in my search. And the comp cam rep never brought it up either. Even when I asked about a single spring. I am very thankful for this site and all the great information. I already have the retainers, and I have the part numbers for the locks. If summit will exchange the springs that will be the route to take. They say there instock. The only question is if I need over 300# pressure at open. I have a 296 duration with 246 at 50 on the exhaust and .510 lift. ?

-
Back