Small Blocks

-

BJR Racing

Reaction score
This is going to cover small blocks 318s - 360s. These are some combinations that I came up with on these engines, first the 318 and then the 360. You can use these specs. for the 340 also, but I would follow the 360 as it would be closer and have more like parts.

engine: 318
compression: 9.61
all accessories installed
Heads: quench type 318s (302s)
valves: int. 1.78/ exh. 1.50
Intake: aluminum single plane M-1 style
Carb: 780 vacume sec.
Exhaust: 1 5/8" X 34" length with full 2.5" exhaust rated @ 500 cfms
Camshaft: comp cam 292H .501 lift 244 @ .050 106/114 centerlines and a 110 lsa
Octane: 87

Peak HP: 346 @ 6000
ave. HP: 277
Peak torque: 355 @ 4500
ave. torque: 281

This is repsenative of the typical street 318 with some rump, this would be a good cruiser and light bracket engine.

Now for the 360

Engine: 360 .030
compression: 9.91
all accessories installed
Heads: typical 70s
Valves: int.1.88/exh. 160
Intake: M-1 single plane
Carb: 780 vacume sec.
Exh.: Hedders 1 5/8" with full 2.5" exhaust rated @ 520 cfms
Camshaft: Mopar P 4120653 .528 lift with 241 .050 duration solid with .026/.028 lash
Octane: 87

Peak HP: 341 @ 5500 rpms
ave. HP: 276
Peak torque: 372 @ 4500
ave. Torque: 292

This engine is typical of a 365 ci with a mild cam so to be very streetable. You could use this engine in light bracket racing and either engine should be able to put a 3100-3200 lbs. car in the low 12s or upper 11s if the chassis is right.

BJR Racing

Both are bowl blended and gasket matched, the 318s are to the 360 gaskets so the M-1 would work right, sorry I forgot to mention it. I guess this is what happends when you get OLD.

BJR Racing

doesnt seem like a lot of HP seems the magnum head would be a better choice.

doesnt seem like a lot of HP seems the magnum head would be a better choice.

"This would be a good cruiser and light bracket engine."

"This engine is typical of a 365 ci with a mild cam so to be very streetable."

I hate to be the forum A-Hole, but......

Mid 300-hp is a solid number for street engines.

His combos are clearly conservative builds, that the average driver could get many miles of fun out of.

Now..... Can you give me one quote from his post that implies any kind of maximum performance build?

I am gonna hijack your thread for a min.I have a 67 Dodge Dart GT with a 273 automatic and a guy I know has a 318 automatic for sale that was in an RV will that bolt up and all ok.I am not to much on these old mopars.I have chevys and pontiacs any help would be greatly appreciated and also it has like 69K on motor so would be a good motor for the dart if it will work
Thanks Olin

Olin, there should be zero problems with that swap.

I guess one may think that from the est. time slips that could be done. The problem in obtaining these times is the cars weight. Most people will not lighten the car down to the listed weights.

Also, the given engine compresion ratio's are run on 87 octane. This is possible with a decent sized cam. Also quench as a play in it. (A big play) Most people will see the cam size and ratio and want to run 93 octane right away with max timing and quickest advance. While this will also provide the best power, it isn't allways needed to run the engine on a hi grade diet of gas.

Food for thought, some years back, popular Hotrodding did 2 brand C build up's (350 & 383 cids) with zero deck pistons and used aluminum heads. Cammed big and tuned well with 87 octane, both engine produced 500 HP or better.

(They didn't have jack for power down low though. It was just the build)

Thanks for the help rumblefish360 and just for the finish of my post the motor is from a 70 RV 318 with the 69K and again thanks for your help.One more thing will the trans work also.
Thanks Olin

yeah.this ought to be good...LOL

nothing like digging up a dead thread...

I met this man in my store in Deforest wi and he is a very nice man.I helped him out and we chatted for a little and told all about these.

What was that line in The Holy Grail.....Bring out your dead....Bring out your dead.....

Maybe it's the 3 year itch...

Revived ~3 years, next revival... 2015 :)

I am gonna hijack your thread for a min.I have a 67 Dodge Dart GT with a 273 automatic and a guy I know has a 318 automatic for sale that was in an RV will that bolt up and all ok.I am not to much on these old mopars.I have chevys and pontiacs any help would be greatly appreciated and also it has like 69K on motor so would be a good motor for the dart if it will work
Thanks Olin

If you still have that RV, with the 318, still,........after 3.5 years....
I would us it as it probably has a steel crank in it.:thumblef:

Wow. Didn't expect to see that guy's thread pop up again. PSC used to swap links with Bobby Joseph. Not anymore ..............

-
Back