Small bolt rallye wheel center paint.

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
Thought I would throw a tip to anyone thinking of painting center caps for your rallye wheels. I had a set of dark argent center caps and needed light argent. I could not find any textured argent paint but I heard it was not cheap so I did a little experiment. I hit Lowes and got a can of 'hammered finish silver' and it looked pretty close to the light argent color. Since there were a few flaws to the center caps I figured I would try it out. I used electical tape to cover the center and the outer edge chrome and painted away. I am very pleased with the results. What do you think??
Chas.

023.JPG

024.JPG

Thought I would throw a tip to anyone thinking of painting center caps for your rallye wheels. I had a set of dark argent center caps and needed light argent. I could not find any textured argent paint but I heard it was not cheap so I did a little experiment. I hit Lowes and got a can of 'hammered finish silver' and it looked pretty close to the light argent color. Since there were a few flaws to the center caps I figured I would try it out. I used electical tape to cover the center and the outer edge chrome and painted away. I am very pleased with the results. What do you think??
Chas.

They look great from the pics, I like the light argent better also.

Yeah me too!! What is really cool is the 'hammered finish' covered up the flaws really good and does not look too bad. Im going to redo them in a couple of weeks and put a nifty set of MOPAR stickers on the centers to finish off the wheels. I also have a set of 'year one' brushed trim rings to replace the aftermarket rings on the wheels now. I will post a pic or two of before and after for anyone interested.
Chas.

Cool . There's a matching mirror in my avatar. Tape the pretty chrome, sand putty , prime , and paint.

Gotta say look's great,accent's the wheel's good.

Looks AWESOME!!!! I use rattle can when ever I can. It is a lot less expensive. Although I do paint cars,trucks,boats,heavy equipment,ect. And have to use my spraying set up most of the time. A lot of the time anything that has to go silver or flat black I'll go ahead and "rattle can". Anyway, GREAT JOB!!!!

Thanks, unfortunate for me I p!$$ off someone from time to time with my cheap parts wants for my car. The thing is I get alot more out of experimenting and restoring the parts to get the look I want out of them. On these wheels I did these 'old school' all the way. They were pretty rusty when I got them. I pulled off the tires, used a drill with a wire wheel, then went on to sand with at least 6 different grits of sandpaper first with dry and then wet paper. I did the fronts, backs, and insides of all four wheels. I figure I got at least eight hours per wheel in re-doing and another one hour in each center cap but in the end I got what I wanted out of it. I have always done things the hard way but I prefer it rather than just dropping big bucks on n.o.s, restored, or aftermarket stuff. I never had the bucks to do things so I did them like I am still doing today some 35 years later. I am currently doing my spare rallye wheel so I should get a few pics up on that one to show you all what I am doing over here in the Land Of Lincoln. I have restored many parts and rattle canned most of it prior to install on the car. Instead of being done I am just getting going. Doing the entire interior, all outer emblems, grille, wheel opening trim, and glass in the next month. Man, I have been waiting all year to get into this!
Chas.

-
Back