SmallBlock engine swap on a Mopar A-body with headers.... Never Again!

-

BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMember
Reaction score
Been doing an engine swap in my Dart, for the last fkn 4 days!
318 to 360. With Doug's headers. Everything is fighting for the same location and blocking something else.
Almost none of the lower engine bolts can be reached with a normal socket wrench.
Stupid angled oil filter base large bolt is pretty much unreachable, and is now leaking ofcourse.

MOOD: Pissed!

How I long for those relatively smooth bigblock engine swaps in full size Mopars again...

Something’s up. I’ve taken my engine out and put it back in a handful of times with dirt cheap hooker headers and it never took longer than a few hours to get everything back in a buttoned up.

ive yanked my motor out too many times, sometimes it goes back in like i know what im doing but twice everything that could go wrong did go wrong! i feel your pain!LOL

Huh??..30 minutes tops to take a small block out of an a-body..same to put another one in..with TTI headers you DON'T need that adapter:):)

add power steering too.fun fun fun.take a break when you get frustrated,then go back at it.starters are fun too.good luck

Take the steering linkage out, put the motor and trans in in one piece, bolt up the headers, bolt in the motor mounts and then put the steering linkage together. It works for me, and it's the easiest way I have found.

Yep 30 min in my E Body with race headeers but never pushed it on my A Body.

Its cake.....when you drop it all out the bottom.

Yes, the 90* is a ***** with them on, I ditched mine in favor of a Canfield plate.

Huh??..30 minutes tops to take a small block out of an a-body..same to put another one in..with TTI headers you DON'T need that adapter:):)

This we agree on. Nuthin to it.

For 5 years in a row, every fall I would take put my 367 and install my winter 318, and every spring I would re-install the 367 after having gone thru it. And usually, I would install a different trans at the same time, and swap the rear chunk as well.That 68 Barracuda was my DD. So I always picked a long weekend and started Saturday morning. And was usually motoring around on saturday night. This on a drive-on hoist with a cheery picker. One time from underneath but that actually took longer.I think the longest I ever took was 14 hours for a complete powertrain swap. But wasn't always all in a row. (yes power-steering/power brakes.)
The very first time was a bit of a pain cuz I couldn't remember which side of the lugs the brackets went on and I had to notch the K for pan clearance. I had prefit the headers outside the bay and discovered the 90* adapter didn't need to be there with the TTIs. I had made an engine tilter, but it was a little on the long side so it wanted to hit the firewall before the engine/trans levelled out. I had made the pick-up point adjustable so I just had to drop everything onto the K and move the balance point. Of course the headers were already positioned, so they had to come out first. Yada yada yada.
I feel your pain. I have the biscuit mounts so that at least was easy. And yes I guessed right as to the lug positioning. Yes the steering had to be dropped, and on the first go-round I pushed the T-bars back too. And I wasn't all that careful about the paint either. I knew I was gonna be taking those engines out multiple times, and chit happens.
But you know what, in year 1999, at the first install........ I was only 47.
By the 11th and final swap, all the bolts knew their way home.
After that I was no longer finding issues in the engine during the winter freshening, and I was finally making a little money; and so I bought a winter beater.
Yeah but I'm not real interested to do the job now at age 65.

and I thought headman b-body headers on a 383 in a 67 barracuda was difficult. fit like a dream after a few minor dimples.
don't know why I spent 800 bucks on tti, should have a new set of headmans.
anyway, it just might be time for all you small block guys to take the easier route, go big block. ha ha ha

Yes, the 90* is a ***** with them on, I ditched mine in favor of a Canfield plate.

Cake, is it chocolate, I really like chocolate!:D

I just pulled the slant and installed a 440 awhile ago by dropping the whole k frame out the bottom its stupid easy. I will never pull an engine out the top again just not worth it.

Been doing an engine swap in my Dart, for the last fkn 4 days!
318 to 360. With Doug's headers. Everything is fighting for the same location and blocking something else.
Almost none of the lower engine bolts can be reached with a normal socket wrench.
Stupid angled oil filter base large bolt is pretty much unreachable, and is now leaking ofcourse.

MOOD: Pissed!

How I long for those relatively smooth bigblock engine swaps in full size Mopars again...
Sounds like teething pains of a first timer.
I completely understand!

Ummmmm..... you don't need that adaptor with most headers out there, including the cheap hedmans. just say'n...

Agreed 100%. Hate to say it, but sounds like the OP is either working too hard or doing something wrong.

Installing the entire assembly (motor,trany,kmember,steering,headers) from underneath seams like the hard way but you can line everything up before install and save a lot of frustration.
Resized_20180504_095026.jpeg

Agreed 100%. Hate to say it, but sounds like the OP is either working too hard or doing something wrong.
As he mentioned else where, and did state about the other engine swaps he did, I do think this is his first small block swap. Where as he has done big blocks before. It’s a new thing for him and he is now discovering the nich twists.

I hate my Doug's. They hit the steering box, both torsion bars, the steering linkage, and steering column shaft. The steering box interference was bad. The torsion bars are just barely touching and I had to beat the crap out of them for the steering linkage. The oil filter adapter leaks no matter what. I gave up after 3 tries with new gaskets. I installed the regular oil plate and a filter tonight. The 90° adapter is garbage. My header is covered in baked on oil.

-
Back