SMaller starter

-
I used one out of 92 Dakota, I had to cut the bracket and spread the wires apart alittle at the point to where they bolt on the starter, the wire studs on the starter are a little farther apart than the older style wire harness,I used it on a 340 and now on my 408 works fine.

The Nippondenso mini starters are better than the Chrysler units in every possible way: Lighter, stronger, faster, draw less current, longer-lived. They just don't sound right, is their only problem. On the rare occasion they fail to
crank, better than 99 times out of a hundred it's fixed by replacing the solenoid contacts, which is an easy benchtop job. You can use a starter from any '89-'01 RWD 3.9, 5.2, or 5.9 engine. The '01 stop year is because later starters do not have an enclosed nose cone that fits in the round recess in the bellhousing. Using an open-top (no nose cone) starter on an earlier application causes misalignment and early starter death. Do not buy a starter from a parts store, where your choices are "remanufactured" garbage or "100% new" (Chinese knockoff) garbage.

As has been mentioned, sometimes the original hookup locations are inconvenient. There are multiple different connectors available, though, to solve that issue. See here here for connection options.

See here for solenoid contact info.

-
Back