Smoke Out of the Exhaust

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
The motor for my car was freshened up two summers ago and then it sat on the engine stand buttoned up and covered up for the last two years. Had the chance to take the car out for its first drive today as we are going through last minute bugs and a "good amount" (can't really define that) of smoke was coming out of the tail pipes. Everyone has said that it is common with a motor that has sat for an extended amount of time. My question is how long should that smoke coming out the exhaust persist before I should start worrying about an issue? Car seems to run fine and the engine runs and sounds great. No knocking or anything out of the ordinary. Would appreciate some thoughts on this issue.

It's common for a used motor after sitting, but not a new one (even though it sat)

Did the refresh include pistons/ring and a bore or hone?
Might be because the rings are not broke in yet.

Freshen up is sort of vague. I have found that rings tend to seat in about five or ten seconds. What color is all this smoke and how much.

What colour of smoke? Does the smoke have a smell? Does it smoke only on startup then slowly goes away? Or is the smoke consistent through the running? How many miles on it since you first started it? If you rev it does the smoke go away?

Smoke can be a lot of things. Like others mentioned. Ring's seating. But that shouldn't take very long at all. Headers? If there is paint on the inside of the headers that could be it too. Etc etc. Details my man, details! A video would be best.

Mufflers/exhaust system could be full of oil too,from a previous pos engine.
Is the gas fresh from the gasbowser, or something you had kicking around the shop? As in mixed for 2-cycle useage?

Next time I get a chance to drive it at the end of the week, I will see if I can get a video. Freshened up does not mean a new build. The motor had been rebuilt some time ago, and then it set. I drove the car before I tore it down almost three years ago for this project. I don't recall it really smoking then. Freshened up in this case just means new gaskets and cleaned up. The heads were not removed nor was the bottom end disassembled. But as I said the motor has sat for a couple of years. The smoke seemed to lessen some after driving a couple of miles. Part of the problem was it had smoke rolling from PS fluid spraying all on the exhaust and manifolds and some oil seepage leaking on the manifolds from the valve covers. After my next drive on Friday, I will follow up. But thanks for the input.

Is the smoke out of both sides or only one side? Would you consider the possibility of sucking oil due to bad intake seal? What are the valve stem seals? Are they there?

Rings seat very quickly, I doubt that ring seal is the cause, unless the cylinders were way over oiled during assembly......then the rings literally skate on a film of oil on the cylinder wall instead of the cylinder wall itself.........that will put a kiebash
on ring seal.

I believe it had smoke coming out of both exhausts. I replaced the intake gaskets, so I would hope that is a good seal, but it is certainly worth considering. The heads were completely redone before I bought the car, and then I drove it for a little bit before I parked it and tore the car down for this project. I don't recall the car smoking when I parked it. The car is going to be getting some more test driving this week. I will not get to see the car again myself until Friday. If it persists, I will share more observations and maybe try to get a video. In the meantime, I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Valve stem seals ?? Does it smoke while on the gas. or after you let off. or all the time? Compression test ?

Last I checked, the exhaust pipes are supposed to expel exhaust. Sounds like they're working.

I think this problem has resolved itself. Test driving yesterday revealed smoke out the exhaust has all but vanished. Will continue to monitor and update. Thanks.

-
Back