Smokey 225....

-

wayneswirld2

I need a vacation...
Reaction score
I've got a slanty in my 1965 crew cab truck that smokes. Yeah I know, it's not an A-body, but my '65 Valiant slanty is doing just fine.

Here's the basics; 1980 engine, supposed ran good when pulled from previous vehicle. Installed in the crew cab, pissed water out of #1 exhaust port when I finally fired it up, had cracked head and bad timing chain components. Unsure of how long it had been since the engine was last run. Had extra head that was sent to machine shop for valve job and to be resurfaced, milled .050 in. Installed "new" head on engine, also installed Offenhauser manifold and Holley carb. Runs great, except for the smoke. Have run the engine about an hour or so. About 30 minutes with cracked head and about 30 minutes with new head.

Begins to lightly produce oil smoke 4 minutes into a cold start, then seems to progressively get a little worse. If I stab the throttle it'll smoke more and settle back down at idle.

I've noticed that the oil, which was fresh, is now black and thin, and shows very high on the dipstick. Cant' tell if it smell like fuel though, but I suspect it may. I'm thinking that the fuel pump diaphram is allowing fuel to get into the crankcase.

My question is this; would thinned out oil that has fuel in it cause this same type of smoking? There does seem to be some blow by thru the valve cover, but I'm not feeling any internal pressure out of the dipstick tube.

I'm going to get a new fuel pump tomorrow, and change the oil of course. Hopefully that's going to be the smoking issue, but I dunno. Any ideas guys? AND gals too....

Wayne
Austin, TX

first i would do an oil change...

pull all the plugs and pour a table spoon of either rislone or ATF into each cyl... let it sit for a couple of days...

what probably is happening is that the rings are stuck in the slots in the pistons and allowing alot of oil to be sucked in

I've been sorta kinda thinkin' that myself. Stuck rings was definately in the forefront of my mind, at least until I checked the oil and found that thin black crap that was in the crankcase...I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Don't know if I can WAIT a couple days to find out though!!!! I'm kinda antsy to get this thing movin'!

Wayne

I've been sorta kinda thinkin' that myself. Stuck rings was definately in the forefront of my mind, at least until I checked the oil and found that thin black crap that was in the crankcase...I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Don't know if I can WAIT a couple days to find out though!!!! I'm kinda antsy to get this thing movin'!

Wayne
well if i was u i would wate and try it ... if it fixies it then u never have to see the smoke agin good luck

Do a compression check.
Pull all plugs
#1 to start if you had water "flowing" out of cylinder to verify you compression.
Compression test will most likely locate your problem.
Do a leak down test, my bet it is rings from setting. or there was a reason that sombody pulled a "good running motor"

first i would do an oil change...

pull all the plugs and pour a table spoon of either rislone or ATF into each cyl... let it sit for a couple of days...

what probably is happening is that the rings are stuck in the slots in the pistons and allowing alot of oil to be sucked in

Or Marvel Mystery Oil !!Been around for ages !!Used to substitute a quart of oil with it at oil changes !!And add it to your fuel,helps clean chitt out !!

Patience has never been my strong suit, but I'm going to give the tablespoon of Rislone/ATF a shot. AFTER I change the oil and fuel filter that is!

I also agree that it's quite possible that I got stiffed when buying the motor. Hell, I thought EVERYONE that sells stuff on Craigslist was honest!

I'll keep y'all posted...

Wayno

A tablespoon? Damned if I wouldn't put a quart in it. Won't hurt a thing.

With water in the #1 cylinder, what did the cylinder wall look like when you swapped the head? If it's pitted, nothing you buy in a can will fix that.

I replaced the fuel pump, changed the oil and filter, and then ran the motor at idle for about a half hour or so....that's all the free time I had yesterday. The smoking seems to be getting better, seems to be. I'm thinking I should actually DRIVE the damned thing for a bit to know for sure, but it's not tagged, inspected, legal in any way shape or form, AND has no tail lights, rear bumper, etc.... As you can tell, I "JUST" got it running so it'll be a bit before it's road tested.

But I think the smoke is going away...and no, there was no pitting in cylinder #1, thank goodness.

Wayne
Austin, TX

I was wondering when slantsixdan would solve your problem. Im a bit suprised that he didnt tell you to ditch that Offy intake and put the proper heated one back on, unless its heated too.

The Offy intake bolts up to the exhaust manifold, same as the stock intake.

redbeard.gif

I too am a fan of the Marvel Mystery Oil, have used it for years! And for what it's worth slant six dans not a bad guy he just likes to mess with your mind.

Yep, the Offy bolts up just like a stocker. As for the Marvel Mystery Oil, I'm a bit leary of it, but I figure what the hell, I ain't gonna hurt the damned thing any more than it may be hurt already....

Wayno
Austin, TX

UPDATE! I didn't pull the plugs and shoot anything into the cylinders at all. I just finally RAN the frikkin' thing the way a motor is supposed to be run...on the road. Although I did add a can of Rislone to the crankcase, I can't give it any credit really. The smoking pretty much stopped the first time I ran the truck down the road for a couple miles.

Now if I could just get that ONE lifter to quit makin' noise...and the coolant temp to drop from 3/4 to about 1/3...and get the fuel tank cleaned.....and about a hundred other things.....

Wayno

Ah, blew the cobwebs out, eh? My Texas Grandmas 71 Buick Apollo never got above 30 miles an hour until we visited once a year. Me and dad would take that car out on the interstate and open her up and it would leave a trail of smoke 2 miles long. Car would run loads better after that.

-
Back