Sniper EFI Temperature Sending unit

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Hey there guys.....Got my Sniper EFI and starting to do the install. I have an Edelbrock AIR GAP intake, but CAN YOU GUESS.....the GM style Temp sending unit is too big for the two holes that I can use. Anybody else figure out how to hook this up? Says that the sending unit needs to be in the water flow, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to drill and tap the inner hole. Just have to figure out the size of the sending unit hole. Or would an adapter work as well?

20201226_164012[1].jpg

20201226_164108[1].jpg

AndyF has a spacer to go under the thermostat housing that has a place for that sender.

Or, you can certainly drill and tap the hole.

..........Or just drill and tap it. If you do, be careful and "try" as you go in other words don't run the tap very deep. And be very careful of ANY pipe into either cast iron or aluminum. It does not need to be very tight, and because pipe is tapered, it can BREAK CASTINGS

If you do try to drill and tap the manifold, before you do anything check the depth of the passage you are installing it into. Those GM style sensors are notoriously long- the last thing you want to do is drill and tap your manifold and find out that the sensor bottoms out in the coolant passage before it's tight.

I put a temp sensor in a longer pipe nipple from the intake to the bypass hose in which I welded a bung to accept the sensor. Works for a small block.

I would swap it with the stock sending unit and drill and tap that hole for the new longer one. You'll have more room for the deeper sensor in that hole.

If you do try to drill and tap the manifold, before you do anything check the depth of the passage you are installing it into. Those GM style sensors are notoriously long- the last thing you want to do is drill and tap your manifold and find out that the sensor bottoms out in the coolant passage before it's tight.

Solid tip!

Just took a flick of mine run it on the other side of the thermostat housing .

89FFB874-701E-44A5-A256-73521B4B0880.jpeg

Which thermostat and housing do you need for that manifold?
Stock cast piece works great. Most of the chrome aftermarket piece won't seal and are warped. And need a good milling. I have one you can have if you pay shipping. I got tired of forking with it.

Marion

Stock cast piece works great. Most of the chrome aftermarket piece won't seal and are warped. And need a good milling. I have one you can have if you pay shipping. I got tired of forking with it.

Marion

I guess they gave me the wrong one because the housing I got was way too small and the holes wouldn't line up. The thermostat was also too small and fell through. But I got my stuff for a 86 D150. But I've read their all the same?

I guess they gave me the wrong one because the housing I got was way too small and the holes wouldn't line up. The thermostat was also too small and fell through. But I got my stuff for a 86 D150. But I've read their all the same?
No they are not. I don't remember off hand new or old, but some have wider bolt spacing and the stat is retained differently. I have at least one Edelbrock has both sets of bolt holes for different housings. For YEARS the cheap chrome "Cal Customish" stat housings have been junk, and leaked.

Mines not a air gap, but I put it on the other side of the thermostat. Can see it here on the right. Has worked fine
F2D4E39B-6C61-4839-8685-CE93947661BA.jpeg
F2D4E39B-6C61-4839-8685-CE93947661BA.jpeg

The Housing I use is billet after market type which has the O ring but I use the summit alloy Gasket with the rubber coating around the bolt holes and inner edge thermostat opening . Not cheap but they work flawlessly and are reusable .

-
Back