So I'm getting ready to rebuild a 340

-

Ryan ekes

Reaction score
Wanting to go with a 4" stroker kit and aluminum heads was wondering if anyone had suggestions for what product to use or what's a good combination including cam and manifold also carb. Pretty new to the motor game all advice is appreciated. It's going in a everyday driver car but still kinda think I want more bottom end or if possible a happy medium of both

read through the small block mopar threads and you will find everything you need to know .

Stock rebuild with a little hotter cam and maybe a little more carb. Preformance oriented converter. Gear the rear according to your needs.

Now drive it for 100k + miles without a worry in the world.

If it will be a daily driver, then a broader torque curve and better bottom end performance will be the right approach; you will spend most of your time in the 2000-3500 RPM range. You can do this with a 340 (or any small block) without going stroker BTW. The AL heads will get you top end breathing so you can wind it out when you like, and then the cam and piston/compression ratio selection will set the low RPM range in general. A moderately high Static CR in the 9-10 range will do the trick to help low end torque on the street at lower RPM's.

The Edlebrock Performer 63 cc heads (PN 60779 with valves and springs) are hard to go wrong with for the AL ones; the breathing is good for a bit over 400 HP right out of the box. Any HP in the 325 range or above is likely going to set you back in the seat with a happy smile on your face if you are new to the V8 world. You'll need to pick up some rockers to go on them.

And, if you don't have the block or engine yet, a 360 may be a better base to start from simply because you will have a wider piston selection to work with. It, in essence, is a mildly stroked 340.

Will you be looking for good fuel mileage? And of course, there is the question of your budget......

Ryan, you asked about what HP will that give me and the poster submitted no info that would give any clue to that.

My question to you is what kind of HP are you wanting to get?

Here are s my suggestion for a daily driver with or without a 4.00 stroke.

750 cfm
RPM intake
Edelbrock heads (some porting for the stroker)
1-3/4 headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust, an H or better yet, an X pipe exhaust system.
Compression NOT exceeding 10-1.
A cam that has an operating RPM in the area you cruise in.
(What kind of cam are you wanting to run? Hyd. mechanical, roller?)

Now, what trans, rear end gears and tire size do you have?
And how heavy is your car.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should pick up a set of speed master heads from a member here named IQ52, have him do a lil work to them , nohing insane, then get a cam around [email protected] of duration and go with enough lobe lift that it will use the heads configured capability. Stay around 9.7 compression, and get a set of 3.55 gears , dual plane Edelbrock rpm intake and some 'what ever' headers. It will be a no headache motor, not finicky with octane ...It'll pull tree stumps , fry tires and cruise with reliablity for thousands of miles. Now...if you have a lil more dough...go hyd roller on the cam and a set of roller rockers to back it up.

Gear ratio and tire size along with car weight, I'd knock 10 - 20*'s out of that cam duration. But this is just a safe side suggestion as to the lack of info leeds me there.

Gear ratio and tire size along with car weight, I'd knock 10 - 20*'s out of that cam duration. But this is just a safe side suggestion as to the lack of info leeds me there.
I am of the same mind for a daily driver. A bit more info from the OP is needed to make the most suitable cam choice.

If you go with a stock 340... a cam 244 @ .050 and a decent tire it won't be frying tires or pulling stumps but should pull hard once it's above 2500 rpm.
knock 20 degrees off as Rumble has suggested.

post modified to include stock 340...

Last edited:
with a 244 @ .050 and a decent tire it won't be frying tires or pulling stumps but
should pull hard once it's above 2500 rpm.
knock 20 degrees off as Rumble has suggested.
I love it when people have selective reading.
I was using [email protected] for the 4"stroke motor he was talking about building, and it will fry tires...hell if it was a 360 4spd, it would still be frying tires if you knew how to tune the damn thing.

Wanting to go with a 4" stroker kit and aluminum heads was wondering if anyone had suggestions for what product to use or what's a good combination including cam and manifold also carb. Pretty new to the motor game all advice is appreciated. It's going in a everyday driver car but still kinda think I want more bottom end or if possible a happy medium of both
REBOOT,2.0 ...To the o.p: What is your budget,YOUR EXPERIENCE,your expectations,& do understand any of this lingo? Kind of harsh ,here... Understand your are getting into a 5 to15 k investment...(research this,DEEPLY)....
:

Here are my thoughts. If you have your heart set on a stroker, go for it; but it will be expensive. On the other hand, you could build a screaming little 340 that will easily fry tires and run like a scalded ape. And you can do it with iron heads. It's all about parts selection. My 340 is at 375HP. It has lots of power, sounds great, is very reliable, and is not stroked. The recipe is a Comp XE268 cam package (with new springs), Edelbrock Air Gap Manifold, Edelbrock 750 carb, headers and a good dual exhaust with low restriction mufflers. The heads are stock with the 2.02 intake valves and were not ported. Also, get your hands on a book called, "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Mopar". It will be a GREAT investment.

I love it when people have selective reading.
I was using [email protected] for the 4"stroke motor he was talking about building, and it will fry tires...hell if it was a 360 4spd,
That is the half of it. You assumed on his behalf the ride has or may have and/or he desires something more aggressive than what we suggest. You also never stated that it was with a stroker sized engine ether when you made the suggestion.

In truth, we still do not know what he has. You can make excellent power with a smaller cam and good flowing heads. A cam of your suggest size and a daily driver with a stated desire for more torque and a hope for both torque and good HP was writen.

It is hard to make a recommendation with such limited info. So a smaller cam would be a good starting point. Suggesting a cam like you mentioned requires a bit more than a smaller cam engine would. Leaning towards and away from the description of the OP wants.

When more info ACTUALLY comes from the poster........

Last edited:
Sounds like a Stroker to me.
Op, did I assume wrong?

That is the half of it. You assumed on his behalf the ride has or may have and/or he desires something more aggressive than what we suggest. You also never stated that it was with a stroker sized engine ether when you made the suggestion.

In truth, we still do not know what he has. You can make excellent power with a smaller cam and good flowing heads. A cam of your suggest size and a daily driver with a stated desire for more torque and a hope for both torque and good HP was writen.

It is hard to make a recommendation with such limited info. So a smaller cam would be a good starting point. Suggesting a cam like you mentioned requires a bit more than a smaller cam engine would. Leaning towards and away from the description of the OP wants.

When more info ACTUALLY comes from the poster........
Read his opening post , Rob.
Read "aluminum heads" "Stroker".
You and irr3333, how many 4" stroke motors have you built? How is it you agree withh my post then rebut it? [email protected] cam in 4" motor is too small to hurt torque where you two are concerned. The cam you are going towards will have the power falling off by the time the pedal touches the floor. I agree a small cam 360 still makes respectable power, but that is not the what the op is asking about. To the real point...I answered his question meanwhile you two are steering him somewhere else he did not ask to go. It's his build, his money , his choice...and wisely he is looking toward a mild 4" stroke motor and he will not be disappointed if he stays on that path.

Last edited:
MP-offical, the words "wanting to" and "I am doing a stroker" are two different things and since there is no infomation of anything else about the car, I chooose a smaller cam that I know will get it done in ether size engine and will more than likely not be a mis match. A 244* cam is not a bad choice at all. Will it work well with a 3.23 gear set & 28 inch tires?
Steering him? It's advice and more of agree on the smaller cam. Smaller is better and safer in my judgement as an error on this is small potatos vs. one to large.
And his 340 (Not 360, no biggie) is a short stroke. IF he has a high way gear ratio, he'll like the smaller cam better. It'll still perform well with a higher gear ratio.

Again, there is not enough info from the missing poster. So relax my freind.

Again, if it were I, I myself for a double duty daily diver would opt for a 224*+-ish cam in a 340 and a 236*+-ish cam in a 4 inch arm. Of course, a lot has to do with a lot of missing info.

So you build what you want how you want and be hapy your correct in your build with everything you KNOW that is in it.
How you can blindly run a biggish cam in an unknown car and unknown weight, gear, tire size, type of trans/converter as well as wallet size is beyond me. But you go do what you do best. I'll be here.

Where the hell is the OP?

Last edited:
Real word example:
340 - .030 over
Sealed Power Hyper flat tops
SCAT I beam rods
Comp XE 285 HL cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-21-228-4/overview/make/dodge
RHS heads, with LA rockers and intake
Antique Victor intake
FAST 2.0 EFI (carb results should be similar)

8" Tight converter (Still a bit too loose, needs a 9.5 Lupo or similar)

In a 70 Duster, 3300+ lbs, full exhaust, 30" tall MT drag radial and 3.91 gears.

91 octane swill = 11.44 @ 117. ***Shifting at 5,000, crossing at 5,800. No, those are not typo's...

Very capable of being driven daily. Very good street manners!

..from post 2 forward most were discussing the 340...lighten up.
I'm groovy, no worries just thatI guess if I were first to be quoting peoples advice ...I would have called them out too, but im not...that's not the idea here. I quoted you because you misread what I said and pertaining to.

MP Offical; Oh yea Bro, no worries, none at all! I'm with ya, no doubt!

Doug, nice combo, very well done, I like it. I see yor getting off the line pretty good.
Personnally, I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver, but that is a real nice set up for a S/S duty ride that can be used everyday! I'll be looking at a roller of similar specs as the next cam for the wifes car.

Real word example:
340 - .030 over
Sealed Power Hyper flat tops
SCAT I beam rods
Comp XE 285 HL cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-21-228-4/overview/make/dodge
RHS heads, with LA rockers and intake
Antique Victor intake
FAST 2.0 EFI (carb results should be similar)

8" Tight converter (Still a bit too loose, needs a 9.5 Lupo or similar)

In a 70 Duster, 3300+ lbs, full exhaust, 30" tall MT drag radial and 3.91 gears.

91 octane swill = 11.44 @ 117. ***Shifting at 5,000, crossing at 5,800. No, those are not typo's...

Very capable of being driven daily. Very good street manners!

You guys need to be concerned with LSA just as much as duration at .050. So many people choose cams that have these tight LSA's and not much duration. Then they wonder why the engines aren't street friendly.

Compare for instance [email protected] cut on 104LSA vs. [email protected] cut on 114LSA.

Night and day...

Comp cams "street cam" in a 2010 Camaro is 231/247 on 113LSA.

I always get crap when I post that or mention a 112 or 114.

-
Back