So it begins, '71 Duster 340 TX9

-
Doing some more cleaning, I found the mummified rat's nest (backseat back), a broadcast sheet for the '73 the seats came from, a bottle of Molson's beer in the heater box, and 70's whacking material between the rear seats. The mag and broadcast sheet were really brittle from dry rot. I was careful with the sheet (check Found sub/forum for pics). No the mag didn't survive. I haven't decided on what to do with the beer yet. Open to suggestions, reasonable suggestions.

I crawled under the car to hit some nuts/bolts with pen oil and found the rear shocks are KMart air shocks. I hit them with some air and it jacked up the back a good inch and a half. The CT owner was a huge KMart fan. Kraco stereo/cassette, 3 pairs of speakers, and the rear shocks all from KMart.

Any guesses on what might be found next?

IMG_1701[1].JPG

I don't know whats gonna be found next but will be loving seeing the progress on this awesome car!

The beer was full? I'd love to hear the story how it ended up there...
Me and my buddies did that a lot back in the 70s in the wintertime. Cruised around in my first 340 Dart with a couple of cold ones in each side, staying pretty cold. Also a good hiding place when the cops stopped us! However we never, ever left any there!

The early 1980s when you were in High School with a part time job you did all your hot rod shopping at Kmart Sears and Radio Shack!

As far as the found broadcast sheet goes, the original owner said he got the seats from a junk yard back in the 70s/80s. I highly doubt the car exists anymore.

Found this as I started to take the interior out, and continue the clean up. It answers a lot of questions in my mind, like how long has this car been sitting? The odometer only has just over 200 miles more than this, and this is dated 03/02/1988. Yes 1988. Oh yea, found a dead mouse in the other floor vent. I can't wait to pull the dash and find what's in the rest of the nooks and crannies. More to follow for sure.

IMG_1720.JPG

Car was a Lil pocket rocket for stock back in the day... she's gonna be badass! A white or red interior with a matching stripe, or black with a flat black stripe?

Car was a Lil pocket rocket for stock back in the day... she's gonna be badass! A white or red interior with a matching stripe, or black with a flat black stripe?
My first Mopar was a 72 Duster 340, and she'd put you back in the seat. I expect the same when I'm done with this 71. At present the plan is to go to as close to factory delivery. Formal Black (TX9) with the Black/White (L1XX) seats, Black Stripe package, Rear Spoiler (J81) Hood Pins (J45). I'll keep Cragar SS's on the car, eventually go with red striped tires. I may step out of factory a bit more and go with the hood strobe stripes. I'll get all the chrome/stainless taken care of. I'm thinking that constrast with the black is going to be bad to the bone. Whomever ordered the car, had a certain look in mind, I just wish I had the full broadcast sheet for it. It's a labor of love, as we all know.

I’m glad someone on here bought this car! I drooled over it several times while it was for sale. If I’d had the space and budget to tackle this one, I would’ve bought it! Looking forward to following your build of it!

Thanks, once done, she'll be fine. I'll get a pic of my first Duster 340. She's the one the started my Mopar love.
Awesome I own current 72 duster when I found this car it almost nothing left as basically a roller. Here it is now currently state condition.

My first Mopar was a 72 Duster 340, and she'd put you back in the seat. I expect the same when I'm done with this 71. At present the plan is to go to as close to factory delivery. Formal Black (TX9) with the Black/White (L1XX) seats, Black Stripe package, Rear Spoiler (J81) Hood Pins (J45). I'll keep Cragar SS's on the car, eventually go with red striped tires. I may step out of factory a bit more and go with the hood strobe stripes. I'll get all the chrome/stainless taken care of. I'm thinking that constrast with the black is going to be bad to the bone. Whomever ordered the car, had a certain look in mind, I just wish I had the full broadcast sheet for it. It's a labor of love, as we all know.
Gonna look sick!

Moving forward at just ahead of a snails pace, but that works for me. I'm in no rush to overlook or under estimate things. So today's update.
Got the fan, alternator and battery tray removed. Pulled the upper/lower radiator hose to find about a quart of coolant come out of the lower hose-block. At least it was clean. The radiator, that's another story. A what looked like a scuff 'blemish' on the radiator is a full blown hole. Oh well.

I got the endoscope into the number one cylinder and found it seriously carbon covered. The piston was almost at top, what I could see of the sidewall looked okay. In a couple of days we'll hand roll the engine and check all the cylinders better. Checked down the carb/intake and found a few leaves, but no evidence of mice. Must not have made it that far.

Got the front seat 'unstuck'. The release wouldn't. So it had a few days of pen oil soaking, and then some manual manipulation and there you have it. I'll have the seat out most likely this weekend so I can assess the whole of the floor.

A few minor rust holes showing up as I clear things away, but overall, not too bad.

71 TX9 340_11232022_06.JPG

71 TX9 340_11232022_05.JPG

71 TX9 340_11232022_03.JPG

71 TX9 340_11232022_02.JPG

PHO00002.JPG

It ain't the destination...its the journey that kills ya!!!
To find an old radiator thats good, maybe 1 in 100.
If the old engine has not been rebuilt, then itis maybe just a core unless you are lucky.
The list is long!

enjoy the journey, i'll be following along with you...Rich

enjoy the journey, i'll be following along with you...Rich
Will do. Already enjoying. Not sure the wallet will enjoy it, but none of it goes to grave with me anyway. So I’m trying to live each day like it’s the last. Glad to have y’all follow along.

Will do. Already enjoying. Not sure the wallet will enjoy it, but none of it goes to grave with me anyway. So I’m trying to live each day like it’s the last. Glad to have y’all follow along.
Brother, Ain't NONE of Us taking Anything with us. Just some people act and think that way!

-
Back