So it made it home...

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
...almost uneventful, too. But what would a vehicle adventure bee without some kind of drama.......

As mentioned in the welcome board, brought my 14 yr old son's car home today. Of course all 4 tires are dry rotted beond being remotely safe for the road... So I put about 20lbs in each one with the red tank, just so we could roll it onto the trailer.... while draging the car out of the leaf pile it was sitting in, the left rear blew out... On went the original spare that was floating inthe spare tire well - I told ya it was solid underneath - keeps all the water in...... Upon dragging it out of the leaves, the left front wheel was locked up... shoes froze to the drum. 30 minutes into banging the crap out of it and prying on it, "Uncle Timmy" (who is apparently that neighborhood's friendly old drunk guy on a bike) offered to help. So we let him - I was ready to take a break anyhow.

Also had two other guys stop and ask how I managed to talk them into selling the car. They had been asking about it for the last 5-6 years and the owner refused to talk to them about selling it.

Got the thing home, backed the trailer into the driveway and the wife comes out and says it is not nearly as bad as she was expecting.... she remembers my Fury ragtop the day I brought it home - That one probably should have been scrapped, but i saved it and still have it.

So we had to grunt and sweat a little more than planned, met a friendly old drunk guy, cleaned out a driveway and got a save-able 65 fish for $400 - a good day in my book!

Attachments

• Uncle Timmy.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 531
  • The best Dad.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Lil Bro in on it.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 502
tell them to watch for snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lmao. nice deal

Good find and a great save! What part of Baltimore are you from? We are a little north in Harford County. Good luck with the Father Son project.

Glad you brought the camera to record this event and the boys' smiles.

I agree! The smiles on their faces was worth the troubles you had!! What are your plans for the car?

Start a new thread and document everything with pictures. That'll be something that you can share for the rest of your life. Good luck!

I agree! The smiles on their faces was worth the troubles you had!! What are your plans for the car?

The plan - as it stands now.... Park my Fury outside -allowing me easier access to drive it more often- sometime around January and roll the B'cuda inside to begin the teardown and try like hell to have it done in time for his Senior year of High School - gives us two years from the end of next month.. Finished car will retain the 273/auto that's in it, keep the interior black as it is now, needs a headliner, carpet and front seats. He wants to do it black (car was originally red) with a Formula S type stripe in Plumb Crazy, either rally wheels or perod correct aluminum slots or chrome 5-spokes, maybe even torque thrusts.... I might give him a little cam and a small 4 brl with the rebuild, but he's not getting one of my 383's no matter how much he pleads....yet.

As for the pics... The only regret I have in the rebirth of my fury, is I never took a pic of where I found it or before I took the front clip off. That's why we have pics of his as found, and of "Uncle Timmy" (the neighbood wine-o removing the front drum that was froze before rolling it onto the trailer)

I've enjoyed your story so far and I'm looking forward to chapter 2. I need to find a car for my 14 year old and maybe he will become interested. (all he does is computers) That's great that you two have a project together. Your son and I must be related. We look alike........especially the big smile when we are picking up our A body to take home. LOL toolmanmike

Attachments

• my dart aug.13 2004004.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 323
That is great! WHAT A DEAL!!!!!
That Barracuda looks too familiar to what my dad and I went through! Who would have thought I would still have that car today!!
jump1.JPG

Now I'm 42 and doing the same with my daughter!!! I wish I could have found my her a viable A-body, but she had her heart set on a 65-66 Mustang. Probably a good idea for her anyways since the parts are so available and the cars are so reasonable in price. I picked up this running 66 coupe with a good running 302 in it for $2500. Of course it is ugly now (and not a mopar), but she is excited to make it hers. She even found photos of a car on ebay we are going to use to copy the color combo. She has her heart set on the aqua/white pony interior. We will see how it goes!
Here is her car now and what we hope for it to look like when we are done.
Jacmustang.jpg

1966FordMustang01.jpg

I've enjoyed your story so far and I'm looking forward to chapter 2. I need to find a car for my 14 year old and maybe he will become interested. (all he does is computers) That's great that you two have a project together. Your son and I must be related. We look alike........especially the big smile when we are picking up our A body to take home. LOL toolmanmike

As luck would have it....I'm selling a 99 Dakota to make room for the B'cuda....the perfect lil truck for a 1st time driver........hmmmmmmm....lol

Now I'm 42 and doing the same with my daughter!!! I wish I could have found my her a viable A-body, but she had her heart set on a 65-66 Mustang..

Good deal - I like to see the other gender into the classics, as well as the boys. My son knew better than to suggest anything but a MoPar in my driveway.... LOL LOL LOL.... I already told the wife I'm gonna have to build something pink for our little girl one day....she's only 8 months old....

We men in our early 40's building cards for our kids.... I'm still not sure who is more excited about it, me or my son.... Then I hear from the wife today, how excited she is that I'm bringing the Shelby Dakota out of mothballs for a quick rebirth before we start on the B'cuda. While I was replacing the calipers today, she sat on the garage step and said she can't wait to drive it again after it is painted and striped. We dated and honeymooned in it, and if she didn't need the D'ango for kid haulin', she would drive it everyday instead of me....

It's great to see kids that age interested in older cars. My step son likes those imports with turbos. Hopefully one day he will see the light.

-
Back