So, K cars?

-
Had 3 K- cars. Used them on the mail route. Put over 275000 miles on them, dependable little cars, until mine rusted out

I thought Omni/Horizon were L-bodies and Sundance/Shadow were P-bodies. If THAT was the question, L and P were GREAT cars. All the K-cars I had were pretty much junk.

Since this has expanded into L- and P-bodies, I had an '87 2.2 Turbo Shadow that was killer, and a '93 V6 Shadow that wasn't killer, but was a real good car. My '81 Omni had pretty much no options and that thing could go through anything. 1.7 (I think) VW engine was very good in that too.

Plus the performance versions like the turbo ll and turbo lll and shelby models could give a V8 a run for their money if built and tuned right. Matt

Agreed!! I have killed many v8 cars with my Omni. Probably put a few v8 owners in a nut house too.

I've had 1 brand new 82 Plymouth Horizon TC3 Miizer, a brand new 1983 Plymouth Turisom 2.2, a used 1989 4 door Horizon and a used Dodge 600 that when you had the right combination of doors open the guy that talk from under the dash yould go crazy and start going through all of the commands like, your door is ajar, your washer fluid is low etc. LOL

Got some pics of one at a car show last summer. Tube frame convert with a 5.7 Gen III Hemi

I thought Omni/Horizon were L-bodies and Sundance/Shadow were P-bodies. If THAT was the question, L and P were GREAT cars. All the K-cars I had were pretty much junk.

Since this has expanded into L- and P-bodies, I had an '87 2.2 Turbo Shadow that was killer, and a '93 V6 Shadow that wasn't killer, but was a real good car. My '81 Omni had pretty much no options and that thing could go through anything. 1.7 (I think) VW engine was very good in that too.

The Omni/Horizon (Turismo, Charger, O24, TC3, Duster, Rampage) were, in fact, L-bodies. (I had a Shelby Charger.) I thought the Shadow/Sundance were H-bodies...?

Had an 89 2.5 fuel injected. It was a great little car, reliable, comfortable to drive and lots of pep. The 2.2L engine was a dog though, had no power to speak of.

Once drove from Apache Jct to Brigham City Utah about 700 miles the last 100 miles in a blizzard that shut down Salt Lake city for two days. Did the whole trip quite comfortably without any driver discomfort that you usually expect when you're driving a pisspot!

I think I had a 1983 Reliant wagon, 2.2 5 speed. he kids called it the over the hill car, because with 2 grown ups 2 kids & 2 dogs it was slow going up the hills here in Colorado, but went much faster after you crested the top! Long gone.

Thanks for the thread Ken!
Love the K car platform vehicles.

I too, love these cars. Got my first one in 2000. It was
a 1988 Daytona Shelby Z T2. Went by it in a yard one day...
didn't think anything about it. About a week later my daughter
said she wanted a car, Told her about it so she wanted to look
at it. Took her over, got out and proceeded to take a look.

As I walked by the door I noticed the Shelby Z decal above
the door handle. Looked inside and seen it was a 5-speed.

Told the daughter this wasn't the car for her. She said why Dad?
I said this car is for me...I'm gonna buy it:D

And I did.

After that I ran into a 1990 Chrysler LeBaron GTC VNT vert.
2.2 Intercooled Turbo with the A568 5 speed. Couldn't pass
it up. Very low production numbers on these. Variable Nozzle Turbo. The VNT car was a T4

Also had another '88 Shelby Z T2 and a 1989 Turbo Caravan
with the T1. Gave this Shelby Z to my nephew and sold the
van to a friend of mine.

The two I have run great and give me 32 mpg on the highway.
The LeBaron did a couple of Hot Rod Power Tours (partial)

The red Daytona did the Long Haul in 2010.

Here's some pics

View attachment DSCF1502 (Medium).jpg

View attachment Shelby-Z 348 (Medium).jpg

View attachment '88 steering wheel (Medium).jpg

View attachment ashelby01a (Medium).jpg

View attachment Cincy Cruise (Medium).jpg

View attachment Interior View (Medium).jpg

View attachment T4VNT (Medium).jpg

View attachment GTCVNTData (Medium).jpg

View attachment drag08 (Medium).jpg

View attachment Shelby-Z 207 (Medium).jpg

Glad to see I am not the only one here who can appreciate these. So far I am very happy with the Reliant, replaced the rad/t-stat/rad cap yesterday and put about 100 miles on it today. Really is a nice driving car for the size.

My friend who had the navy car in highschool, is a lurker here as I he now owns the '69 Dart I bough this last summer, also owns a 1986 Reliant with about 25k Miles on it. The car is a total time capsule, looks like it was bought and sealed up in a bag until now, probably as close to a new one as you could find. Ill try and get some pictures of both cars up here soon.

Tony is your van the one that was on youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Gdm_e_hxs"]World's Fastest 4 Cylinder Dodge Minivan - YouTube[/ame]

12 - 20's at 112 mph.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_eJlPd59x0"]Minivan World Record - YouTube[/ame]

Yes they were but were based on the K design.

G body Daytona 1984 to 1993
G body chrysler laser 1984 to 1986
P body shadow/sundance 1987 to 1994
Caravan/voyager/town n country
E class extended K platform new yorker, 600, caravelle
J body lebaron coupe 1987 to 1993 (phantom R/T in mexico)
J body lebaron convertible 1987 to 1995
Spirit/acclaim/lebaron sedan

The only FWD ones of this era that will not interchange any suspension parts or even K frames are the L body.

Plymouth horizon/dodge omni
Plymouth scamp/dodge rampage
Dodge charger/ plymouth turismo duster or TC3

Hope this breaks it down a bit for y'all
Matt

Yes they were but were based on the K design.

G body Daytona 1984 to 1993
G body chrysler laser 1984 to 1986
P body shadow/sundance 1987 to 1994
Caravan/voyager/town n country
E class extended K platform new yorker, 600, caravelle
J body lebaron coupe 1987 to 1993 (phantom R/T in mexico)
J body lebaron convertible 1987 to 1995
Spirit/acclaim/lebaron sedan

The only FWD ones of this era that will not interchange any suspension parts or even K frames are the L body.

Plymouth horizon/dodge omni
Plymouth scamp/dodge rampage
Dodge charger/ plymouth turismo duster or TC3

Hope this breaks it down a bit for y'all
Matt

Yep, exactly. I knew they were all derived from K, but when the question was posed about K-cars, I was just thinking of literally K-only. It's funny, whether it's true or perception, but my perception of all the K's I've ever had or driven was that they were junk, but I liked all the other ones. I've had a least one of all of them.

Yep, exactly. I knew they were all derived from K, but when the question was posed about K-cars, I was just thinking of literally K-only. It's funny, whether it's true or perception, but my perception of all the K's I've ever had or driven was that they were junk, but I liked all the other ones. I've had a least one of all of them.

Whoops forgot about the dodge lancer/lebaron GTS 4 door hatchbacks

Thanks for the thread Ken!
Love the K car platform vehicles.

I too, love these cars. Got my first one in 2000. It was
a 1988 Daytona Shelby Z T2. As I walked by the door I noticed the Shelby Z decal above
the door handle. Looked inside and seen it was a 5-speed.
Told the daughter this wasn't the car for her. She said why Dad?
I said this car is for me...I'm gonna buy it:D
And I did.
After that I ran into a 1990 Chrysler LeBaron GTC VNT vert.
2.2 Intercooled Turbo with the A568 5 speed. Couldn't pass
it up. Very low production numbers on these. Variable Nozzle Turbo. The VNT car was a T4
Also had another '88 Shelby Z T2 and a 1989 Turbo Caravan
with the T1. Gave this Shelby Z to my nephew and sold the
van to a friend of mine.
The two I have run great and give me 32 mpg on the highway.
The LeBaron did a couple of Hot Rod Power Tours (partial)
The red Daytona did the Long Haul in 2010.
Here's some pics

Nice cars Tony, love them.
I've had a few as well, and still have these two. The Shadow is a 2.5 5sp with the super 60 kit and the Lebaron which is a 3.0 auto car

Attachments

• shad1s.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 103
  • convs.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 130
Nice cars Tony, love them.
I've had a few as well, and still have these two. The Shadow is a 2.5 5sp with the super 60 kit and the Lebaron which is a 3.0 auto car

Thanks Keith!

Yours look mighty fine also.

I love driving these cars from about 60 mph to whatever on top end.
They don't quit pulling. I bail before they run out out of speed.:D

I had a white Aries K. Complete with the lovely red interior. Being in Southwest PA weather could be an issue, but not for that car. I went everywhere in that thing. Dad paid $50 bucks for it, my older brother drove it some, and I drove the paint off it until I upgraded to a Mercury Lynx 4speed! I paid $550 for that one, put 65000 on it, sold it for $600 and it drove for a few more before it died.

So heres my Reliant, real happy with the car so far. Especially considering I got it for $600, and all it needed was a good cleaning and a new radiator. It had no hubcaps on it when I bought it so I threw on some old Valiant hubcaps I had laying around.

HVRq4O4.jpg

3mgl6Ek.jpg

xKPXICw.jpg

j2yxvVH.jpg

-
Back