ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
From MSN.com this morning:

America’s sheriff Andy Griffith dead at 86

120703-ent-andy-griffith.380;380;7;70.jpg
CBS via Getty Images
Andy Griffith on "The Andy Griffith Show" in the 1960s.

Andy Griffith dead at 86

July 3, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
By Tim Molloy
TheWrap

Television icon Andy Griffith has died at 86.

Friend and former University of North Carolina President Bill Friday first told WITN News that the "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Matlock" actor died at his home in Dare County, N.C.

Bing: More on Andy Griffith

The Dare County Sheriff Doug Doughtie said that Griffith died at about 7 a.m. "Mr. Griffith passed away this morning at his home peacefully and has been laid to rest on his beloved Roanoke Island," Doughtie read from a family statement.

With his slow drawl and penchant for playing characters who wore their decency like a badge in shows like "The Andy Griffith Show," the actor came to personify small-town values, with the emphasis on family and community. He was, in many ways, America's sheriff.

He first came to prominence on Broadway in the 1950s in the Army comedy "No Time for Sergeants" and the musical version of "Destry Rides Again."

He reprised his country bumpkin role in "Sergeants" for the 1958 film version, earning rave reviews and propelling the film to the top of that year's box office.

But his film debut in 1957's "A Face in the Crowd" mined a darker side of Griffith, one that he largely abandoned in favor of more populist slices of entertainment. Working with legendary director Elia Kazan, Griffith gave his finest dramatic performance as Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes, a drifter who is discovered by an ambitious producer and transformed into a national television phenomenon. With his folksy bromides, Rhodes seemed to presage such modern boob tube bloviators as Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann, and the film itself was a sly commentary on the power of television that was way ahead of its time.

Remembering Andy Griffith: Share your thoughts on Facebook

Yet it was television that would launch Griffith into the pop culture pantheon. Playing Sheriff Andy Taylor, a widower trying to raise a young son, on the long-running "The Andy Griffith Show," the actor found the perfect vehicle for his easy-going delivery and comic talents.

Mayberry, the fictional North Carolina town where Taylor represented law and order, was populated by village eccentrics like hapless deputy Barney Fife (Don Knotts) and naive gas station attendant Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors). Griffith provided the show's center of gravity; his gift was to be a proxy for the audience and to respond to the antics around him instead of providing a spark to the lunacy.

Ron Howard, who played Griffith's son on the program before starring in "Happy Days" and becoming an Oscar-winning director, paid tribute to his television dad on Tuesday.

"His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life. I'm forever grateful RIP Andy," Howard twittered.

The show they starred in together ran for eight seasons and nearly 250 episodes before wrapping up in 1968. Although it remains his most iconic role, Griffith's generosity as an actor may have worked against him when it came to awards -- he was, amazingly, never nominated for an Emmy for his work as Taylor.

But popular culture had moved very far away from the bucolic Mayberry, and throughout the 1970's and early 80's, Griffith struggled to establish another show as successful as "The Andy Griffith Show." Among his failed efforts were "Headmaster" (1970), "The New Andy Griffith Show" (1971) and "The Yeagers" (1980).

As he neared his sixth decade, he finally found the right vehicle in "Matlock," a legal drama that ran on NBC and ABC from 1986 to 1995. Griffith portrayed a folksy criminal defense lawyer with a penchant for courtroom dramatics and a love of hot dogs. The accent was the same as Taylor's, but unlike the small-town sheriff, Matlock was a brilliant attorney with a worldliness and wiliness that allowed him to translate to modern viewers.

In addition to his acting career, Griffith was a successful recording artist. He recorded several hit albums of Christian hymns for Sparrow Records and earned a Grammy Award for his work. Perhaps his most famous recording is "The Fishin' Hole," the jaunty theme song to "The Andy Griffith Show."

I just got dun watching Matlock this morning, and I believe I have seen every episode of The Andy Griffith Show, RIP my friend and thank you for putting good morals of how to live your life on tv, Prayers go out to all his family and friends.

I used to always enjoy the 24 hours of Mayberry on Superbowl Sundays. A lot of times I wouldn't even turn on the game. I still try to watch it when I see it on. I still laugh at the old episodes that I've probably seen a hundred times. He will be missed, but live on in reruns.

RIP, I watched reruns as I was growing up. You will be missed.

God. bless you Andy, You were a shining beacon of decentcy in a dark time and you will be missed.
Rest In Peace

This makes me sad. IMO he was one of the best actor/comedians ever.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2fSw0ua5K0"]No Time For Sergeants - "Hallo?!?!" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc3euIOlwcA"]No Time For Sergeants: Eye Tests and Woman Officers - YouTube[/ame]

RIP Andy

I have No time for Sargents and grew up watching Mayberry, along with Matlock. But he did do a few other movies, One I know he played a mean Judge.

I just know that Andy and Don are playing practical jokes in heaven.

Rest In Peace.

Sorry to read this today, he was a great actor and will be missed...RIP Andy.

I wonder if they will play a bunch of the Andy Griffith show to remember him? I sure hope so, always liked that show, even my 5 year old daughter knows who he is and likes that show.

Just turned on TV Land and they are playing the Andy Griffith show right now

I have No time for Sargents and grew up watching Mayberry, along with Matlock. But he did do a few other movies, One I know he played a mean Judge.

I just know that Andy and Don are playing practical jokes in heaven.

Rest In Peace.

That was the TV movie Crime Of Innocence where he sentenced juveniles to hard labor.

The movie A Face In The Crowd from 1957 is hard for me to watch, he plays a character whose overnight fame overtakes his morals. Couldn't be further from the role-model he was in Mayberry. A great actor who gave us a lot.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGUm9e_BLU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGUm9e_BLU[/ame]

That was the TV movie Crime Of Innocence where he sentenced juveniles to hard labor.

The movie A Face In The Crowd from 1957 is hard for me to watch, he plays a character whose overnight fame overtakes his morals. Couldn't be further from the role-model he was in Mayberry. A great actor who gave us a lot.

Thanks for the name of the movie David. I remembered watching it and he played the role realistically.

I grew up watching Andy Griffith shows, heck I still record old Matlock episodes that I have probably seen 20+ times each! Sad to see him go. Rest in peace Andy.

I grew up on the Andy Griffith Show. This is a sad day indeed. If we could all aspire to be like the Sheriff and Dad he portrayed in the show the world would be a better place.

RIP

Rest in peace Andy I grew up watchin reruns of the Andy Griffith show. I watched it again with my daughter as she was growing up. We both still enjoy watching it. You will be missed.

All of the above. Andy seemed to have lived a long and full life, and stayed out of the Horrywood sex and drugs controversy that so many so-called celebs fall into He outlived my own Dad by 15 years in age.

Its' always sad when some we have grown up watching and learning moral values die's.
I can only imagine how Ope feels(Ron Howard).

I just got dun watching Matlock this morning, and I believe I have seen every episode of The Andy Griffith Show, RIP my friend and thank you for putting good morals of how to live your life on tv, Prayers go out to all his family and friends.

Could not have said it better, RIP Andy

Moe

-
Back