So long, Tony Stewart

-
Yeah. That kind of thing must be what ended Richard Petty's career, marketability
and popularity huh?

From Wikipedia:

Joining in the Chrysler boycott of NASCAR due to the organizing body's ban
of the Hemi engine, Petty spent much of 1965 competing as a drag racer.
He crashed his car at the Southeastern Dragway, in Dallas, Georgia, on
February 28, 1965, killing a six-year old boy, Wayne Dye, and injuring
seven others Petty, his father Lee, and Chrysler Corporation faced lawsuits
totaling more than $1 million.

I don't believe any of that for one second.

Me either similar thing happened to the New England Patriots as far as shame and public distain.So they go on to have a perfect regular season and only lose in the superbowl.If stewart wins a few races the nascar crowd will forget about it and the rest of the world will relax its stance on the subject.Everyone loves a winner.

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708
after further review look at the kid as he realizes stewart is coming straight at him,his right leg is extended as he is trying to get out of his way and stewart punches the gas which shortens the kids time to move.my whole thought has changed after watching it closely.imo stewart came up the track had him in his sights and was trying to "punk" him and as the kid starts to jump out of the way stewart trys to get one last (in your face) action that ended with one dead.also watch as the two are entering turn 2 stewart turns his wheels to the right to squeeze the kid into the marble so he wouldn't pass him and the kid turns up as well trying to not hit stewart and ends up in the wall.people have gone to prison with a lot less intent than that.let him burn.

+1

I would say the kid felt honored to race against Tony and this tragedy happens, really sad.
I bet that he felt that he had been wrecked by someone richer (and more successful) than he ever would have been, and saw a chance to make a name for himself by causing something else to happen. Too bad that it ended the way it did, but I repeat that anyone who thinks Stewart would have intentionally run this kid down has a screw loose. A BIG one.

Tony did have control of his car and was running at caution speed not race speed. Some have said on this thread that Tony was still under power. He was not going any faster than the car in front of him. Untill we walk in Tony's shoes we will not ever know what his intent was. I wish Kevin Ward had not got out of his car. Any track I have raced at you are to stay in your car untill emergency personal get there.

Laying blame will not bring Kevin back nor will it make Tony feal any better. Let us all keep them in our prayers.

Turn the volume on your computer all the way up. Start the video and put your cursor on the play/pause button. Close your eyes after the spin out. Hit the pause button as soon as you hear an engine revving. When you open your eyes Stewart's car will be impacting Ward. Rewind the video 10 seconds and rewatch. Every other car went coasting by Kevin Ward. Stewart was the only one who goosed it. Spare me the "thats how you steer these cars explanation".

I am a fan of Tony Stewart as a race car driver and I follow NASCAR. I don't believe for a minute he intended to hit or kill this kid. I absolutely believe he meant to buzz him and throw a little dirt his way.

Kevin Ward made a tragic mistake in getting out of his car and it cost him his life. He obviously bears a great deal of responsibility in this. I did some really dumb things when I was 20 as well(I doubt that I am alone in that). One would hope that at 43 years old multi-millionaire with 3 NASCAR Championships would cut a kid some slack. In my opinion Tony Stewart bears a sizeable amount of responsibility in this tragedy.

Close your eyes after the spin out. Hit the pause button as soon as you hear an engine revving. When you open your eyes Stewart's car will be impacting Ward. Rewind the video 10 seconds and rewatch. Every other car went coasting by Kevin Ward. Stewart was the only one who goosed it.

I absolutely believe he meant to buzz him and throw a little dirt his way.

Kevin Ward made a tragic mistake in getting out of his car and it cost him his life. He obviously bears a great deal of responsibility in this.

exactly .....

and I think tony stewart is a ***** for doing that little wheelspin maneuver. he had nothing to prove

2 wrongs caused a death

I saw two fools doing foolish things.
Stewart did not intend to hurt anyone, that is ridiculous. Especially some young punk upstart.

That kid blew a fuse, came running down the embankment, and Stewart came around the turn, and did not see a guy dressed in black at night.

Case closed.

the car in front of Tony only missed him by an inch or two. It looks like it might have hit him if he didn't jump back a bit.

Same story last January 17th at night following a vehicle in the dark, The vehicle in front of me swerves at the last second leaving me to hit what he saw. A Buck, $3,000 in damage to my truck. I didn't see the Animal, and couldn't avoid it. Dragged it under my right rear wheel. Sure sounds similar.
Raced a long time. Stay in the CAR! Walk out, you are in the path of another car , if he was hit by a lesser known person, would you be reading about it?

What about the other two people he's run over in the past? Are yall gonna make excuses for those too?

Evidence. I don't see it. being around cops,I am confident if they could nail him, they would. Great publicity. They can't.

I'm not a fan of NASCAR, let alone any type of circle track racing.
I just watched the video and in my opinion he tried to avoid hitting him.
Tony was going as slow as the driver in front of him and when the Ward kid ran down in front of him it's obvious that Tony goosed it to keep from hitting him as the rear of the car actually went left, away from Ward. I think the kid just got too close and as the cars rear came back it snagged him.

Terrible tragedy that could've been avoided if the kid stayed in his rig and cooled off a little.

I read about this for two days before watching the video, I really didn't want to see it but now that I have, the above quote mirrors my opinion as well. Very sad and avoidable, stay in your car, you can confront later.

After lookin at the video multiple times, I really think the blue car in front of Tony's car had a lot to do with it. It moved very quickly to avoid Ward and then Tony finally saw the guy and it was too late. Regardless, I still think he may have intended to throw dirt on the guy. That fits Stewart's personality to a tee. Certainly he wasn't trying to kill him. He wasn't countin on the guy bein a total dumbass either.

you jump in front of my truck, I will run over you, there will be no mistake, that's me.
tony would try to avoid you, as he did with ward.

I saw two fools doing foolish things.
Stewart did not intend to hurt anyone, that is ridiculous. Especially some young punk upstart.

That kid blew a fuse, came running down the embankment, and Stewart came around the turn, and did not see a guy dressed in black at night.

Case closed.

I think the only thing that makes people wonder is that apparently Stewart has a pretty ridiculous history of getting into fights at the track. On another forum someone posted a number of youtube clips where he either fought with someone or was intentionally banging his car with another after the race was over.

Personally, seeing that visibility on that side of the sprint car is pretty poor, its more likely an accident.

It was the guys fault when he got out of his car to be a tuff guy and shake his hand at a guy in a 1500lb race car on a race track.

Tony did not do anything wrong..I still buy his stuff, I still collect TS memorabilia. I will still watch NASCAR to see him race. As mentioned above if someone ran out in front of me they would get ran over also. I do not turn away from deer and I will not from a stupid person.

The camera that took the shots seen, was far away from the incident. That means the mic was also. That means, the engine you hear rev, was close to the mic not the Stewart car. The rev theory is very inconclusive. Also, at worst, Stewart was trying to just jesture back at the guy, he was not trying to run over the guy. This, at most, was negligent manslaughter, that would have never happened if the safty rule "stay in your car" was obsurved by the hot head victim. There are lessons to be learned from all this, but they won't bring the guy back, but they can stop the next altercation from becoming deadly.

The camera that took the shots seen, was far away from the incident. That means the mic was also. That means, the engine you hear rev, was close to the mic not the Stewart car. The rev theory is very inconclusive. Also, at worst, Stewart was trying to just jesture back at the guy, he was not trying to run over the guy. This, at most, was negligent manslaughter, that would have never happened if the safty rule "stay in your car" was obsurved by the hot head victim. There are lessons to be learned from all this, but they won't bring the guy back, but they can stop the next altercation from becoming deadly.

Bingo....I see it the same way. A tragedy that didn't need to happen and to lay all the blame on Stewart is a little short sighted. Just one guys opinion.

-
Back