So sick of the V8 or die guys...

-
Wow! That slant stuff looks amazing! Cudachick does such an awesome job, I will probably shoot her a pm to pritty up all my tin pieces when I'm ready..

I was gonna do the V8 thing (340/904) in my wagon but decided to keep the slant with some mild internal upgrades - shaved head, oversize valves, upgraded cam, double roller timing set and windage tray. Externally, it's got to have a little bling and pop. So I'm planning on either a triple SU set-up or maybe a triple Weber set-up and Offy valve cover. What will it run? Don't know and don't care - it'll be different for sure.

Got to give props to Leanna who coated the Lynx triple SU manifold and Offy valve covers plus all the small bolt-on stuff. Now I got to find time to get it all together.

I have been looking for over a year now for slant 6 mods and I have seen member with amazing intakes like this one, double 4 barrel, and more. Where do you guys find these things!?

I have been looking for over a year now for slant 6 mods and I have seen member with amazing intakes like this one, double 4 barrel, and more. Where do you guys find these things!?

I've found my stuff from various sources. For example I bought the triple SU intake off of SlantSixDan while over at .org; the carbs were sourced off of eBay and completely rebuilt by a company recommended by SSDan; the triple Weber intake off Australian eBay; the set of matching Webers from the eBay; the double roller timing set and windage tray/bolt kit I bought years ago thru Direct Connection. The Offy valve cover I bought through a group buy over at slantsix.org. Also bought a twin single Offy intake in the same group buy. The stuff is out there, you just keep an eye out for it and grab it when you can.

I've found my stuff from various sources. For example I bought the triple SU intake off of SlantSixDan while over at .org; the carbs were sourced off of eBay and completely rebuilt by a company recommended by SSDan; the triple Weber intake off Australian eBay; the set of matching Webers from the eBay; the double roller timing set and windage tray/bolt kit I bought years ago thru Direct Connection. The Offy valve cover I bought through a group buy over at slantsix.org. Also bought a twin single Offy intake in the same group buy. The stuff is out there, you just keep an eye out for it and grab it when you can.

I have heard a lot of good things about the slant6.org so I signed up a week ago but I never got approved or something cause I can't log in. Everytime I try it just says I'm unverified.

So how many of these vee-eight guys get in their 4 banger 'modern' car and drive off without thinking anything of it?

Glenn
And how exactly is this relevant?? Lets see, drive around in a gas hog of a hot road or jump in the modern EFI car that always runs the same and gets good mileage.....hmmmm.....that is a no brainer. Let me guess, if you had both at your option, a turbo slant six hot rod and an economical modern vehicle you would dd the /? If you say you would I am guessing you have brown eyes......from being full of sh*t........

They are a little slow over there. more laid back. But its a goldmine of resources.

As for a crazy 6 in a A...pop the hood at a Mopar show in the middle of a bunch of LA motors and watch the attention yours gets. And have you sen the price of gas? Its 4.30 here for the cheap stuff. Its hard to pull 25mpg in a LA.

I think factory original cars are nice too. Soup up the engines they came with. Back in the day Pontiac Tempest had a over head cam 6 w/a 3 speed trans that would blow the doors off stuff. I had a 68 Chevelle SS396 that I blew the engine & trans.I came across a 307 w/4 speed to put in for awhile. That combo would kick any bodies *** in the1/8 mi or little further.I guess what Im trying to say is... its not all about horsepower but gear ratios also. I say go ahead &build the slant 6 . It'll have more zip than most stock v8s.

Your funds, your car do as you please. One thing to keep in mind though is while boost is a great equalizer a bigger motor is going to respond to boost as well......someone posted a video of a slant running in the 10's with a turbo. While it is impressive IF you are after speed a v-8 is still going to stomp all over it....if it is turboed as well.....chads Turbo 340 duster - YouTube
Not for nothing but if you are going to make a comparison you need to make it apples to apples, not apples to oranges.....Not to side with your buddies but reality is what it is......

But, but, but... how are you going to have an apples/apples comparison between two engines when one is SIXTY PERCENT bigger than the other to begin with? 225 X 1.6 = 361.

You can only try to make an apples/apples comparison by giving the smaller engine an equalizer.

Boosted slant six vs. N/A 360.

The other equalizing factor might be cost per hp. That engine in Ryan's car has no expensive, hi-tech parts, beyond the turbo, itself...

I contend that a 500 hp N/A 360 will cost at least as much to build as a 500 hp turbo slant six, by the time you get it in the car and operational.

By that, I mean, there are several things you'll need for that 360 to be effective that won't be necessary for the six. Things like a relatively-expensive valvetrain, etc... (high rpm cam, good valve spring$, etc...)

But, that's another story...

Frankly, I think it's pretty much a wash, on the cost of the two, but if there's any advantaage here, I'd say, goes to the six... Just my opinion, of course.

i like them all even a slant six with stock one barrel ....

my daily driver dart has a stock six with a one barrel and it runs just fine

definately does what it was built to do.

who cares what other ppl think if your happy with something thats all that matters......if you had a wife your happy with and your buddy says she is ugly......would you throw her away?.....i would hope not!!!! same goes for your projects.

So how many of these vee-eight guys get in their 4 banger 'modern' car and drive off without thinking anything of it?

Glenn

Well, I just read a road test recently on a 2013 Nissan Altima 5-speed that turned a 13.9 @ 103 mph in the quarter off the showroom floor.

That's about half a second quicker than a 1970 340 Duster would do... and the 2013 Toyota Camry is not far behind, at 100+mph in the quarter, with an automatic. Low 14's...

But, those are naturally-aspirated V6's.... not 4-bangerrs.:blob:

How much money does it take to build a /6 dart into the 14's. Don't say it depends, give me a reasonable guesstimate give or take a few hundred.

But, but, but... how are you going to have an apples/apples comparison between two engines when one is SIXTY PERCENT bigger than the other to begin with? 225 X 1.6 = 361.

You can only try to make an apples/apples comparison by giving the smaller engine an equalizer.

Boosted slant six vs. N/A 360.

The other equalizing factor might be cost per hp. That engine in Ryan's car has no expensive, hi-tech parts, beyond the turbo, itself...

I contend that a 500 hp N/A 360 will cost at least as much to build as a 500 hp turbo slant six, by the time you get it in the car and operational.

By that, I mean, there are several things you'll need for that 360 to be effective that won't be necessary for the six. Things like a relatively-expensive valvetrain, etc... (high rpm cam, good valve spring$, etc...)

But, that's another story...

Frankly, I think it's pretty much a wash, on the cost of the two, but if there's any advantaage here, I'd say, goes to the six... Just my opinion, of course.
Blah blah blah.......that is sort of the point, the slant is at a disadvantage due to its small size.....does not matter that it is an inline to me. Apples to apples is n/a vs n/a, not forced slant becuz it is smaller vs n/a 572 HEMI because it is larger. Apples to apples is forced slant vs. forced 572 HEMI........and my money is on the HEMI in both cases, not becuz it is a HEMI, not becuz it is a v-8 vs a / but becuz of its size. Fact of the matter is, and this is just my understanding of it, a 225/ with 15 pounds of boost vs a 360 with 15 pounds of boost the 360 is going to produce more power, all things being equal, just because of its size......225 cu inches x2 (the effect of a second atmosphere) is 450 cu inches....360 cu inches x2 (again, the effect of a second atmosphere) is 720 cu inches...I say this becuz everything I have read says that at 15 pounds of boost, basically a second atmosphere, the motor is going to act double its size. ...Bil, no matter what way you spin this, no matter how hard you try to skew the facts, the slants disadvantage is has nothing to do with anything but its size. N/A, forced, it does not matter in the real world it will never compete in a apples (force fed) to apples (force fed) world with any of the larger engines, slant or not......Again, this is just MY understanding of it. I know of a certain purple TT Duster that is in the 8's I believe........is there A-body, turboed / of equivalent weight running that quick?? Last I looked there were no / cars running in the high 6's low 7's at Drag Week....probably a very good reason for that. What I am saying is keep your /, turbo it, put nitrous on it, hell run nitro-methane thru it if you chose. But put it up against any equally exotic v-8 of Mopar fame and it will get its butt spanked.....for the simple fact of its small displacement.....Notice I did not mention $$ here.....because on the planet that I grew up on all of the guys that wanted to go fast and not spend a small fortune just bought 2 wheels......Funny you should mention $$, because for those of us that the desire to propel these old clunkers on a somewhat restricted budget there is always a very good alternative.....and it involves building a bastard........dare I say it.......the dreaded LS.....but that is a whole different war.....I am out of this discussion. Diehard Mopar followers can be a strange bunch.....but you / folks bring that to a whole different level.......

Blah blah blah.......that is sort of the point, the slant is at a disadvantage due to its small size.....does not matter that it is an inline to me. Apples to apples is n/a vs n/a, not forced slant becuz it is smaller vs n/a 572 HEMI because it is larger. Apples to apples is forced slant vs. forced 572 HEMI........and my money is on the HEMI in both cases, not becuz it is a HEMI, not becuz it is a v-8 vs a / but becuz of its size. Fact of the matter is, and this is just my understanding of it, a 225/ with 15 pounds of boost vs a 360 with 15 pounds of boost the 360 is going to produce more power, all things being equal, just because of its size......225 cu inches x2 (the effect of a second atmosphere) is 450 cu inches....360 cu inches x2 (again, the effect of a second atmosphere) is 720 cu inches...I say this becuz everything I have read says that at 15 pounds of boost, basically a second atmosphere, the motor is going to act double its size. ...Bil, no matter what way you spin this, no matter how hard you try to skew the facts, the slants disadvantage is has nothing to do with anything but its size. N/A, forced, it does not matter in the real world it will never compete in a apples (force fed) to applesi (force fed) world with any of the larger engines, slant or not......Again, this is just MY understanding of it. I know of a certain purple TT Duster that is in the 8's I believe........is there A-body, turboed / of equivalent weight running that quick?? Last I looked there were no / cars running in the high 6's low 7's at Drag Week....probably a very good reason for that. What I am saying is keep your /, turbo it, put nitrous on it, hell run nitro-methane thru it if you chose. But put it up against any equally exotic v-8 of Mopar fame and it will get its butt spanked.....for the simple fact of its small displacement.....Notice I did not mention $$ here.....because on the planet that I grew up on all of the guys that wanted to go fast and not spend a small fortune just bought 2 wheels......Funny you should mention $$, because for those of us that the desire to propel these old clunkers on a somewhat restricted budget there is always a very good alternative.....and it involves building a bastard........dare I say it.......the dreaded LS.....but that is a whole different war.....I am out of this discussion. Diehard Mopar followers can be a strange bunch.....but you / folks bring that to a whole different level.......

Dude, chill out. I wasn't trying to cause any trouble with this post, I was just trying to get some support to build a slant 6. Plus I haven't seen anything you've owned that is as fast or as bad as bills car so since when can you give him crap for what he has done?

Some people like apples, some like oranges. I just like a slant 6 and do not to justify it to the v8 guys.

Will

To the original subject, my name should show where my loyalty lays.

if you had a wife your happy with and your buddy says she is ugly......would you throw her away?.....i would hope not!!!! same goes for your projects.
What if he thinks his own wife is ugly?

Sorry, I had to go there lol! :D

Dude, chill out. I wasn't trying to cause any trouble with this post, I was just trying to get some support to build a slant 6. Plus I haven't seen anything you've owned that is as fast or as bad as bills car so since when can you give him crap for what he has done?
Dude, chill as well. These guys always go back and forth debating the slant vs V8 topic. Notice, I said debate, not fight. And they always talk about fruit too!

To each their own. I a got a lot of crazy off the wall rants when I was looking for a Predator carb to put on my slant 6. All I was trying to do was get a product and make another member some cash. The guy just wanted some positive criticism so that he could feel that his idea is a justifiable one. Yes any engine build idea is a good one as long as you have planned, saved money, and have the knowledge, if anything everyone is debating /6 to V8 when instead you should be agreeing on the fact of screw 4 cylinder rice burners!

Blah blah blah.......that is sort of the point, the slant is at a disadvantage due to its small size.....does not matter that it is an inline to me.

Isn't all this kinda common knowledge? I almost said something to to the tune of what you did, but instead I'm trying to be supportive. If he wants to build a 6, build the f**ker.

I've got a 170 sittin in a 64 Dart that I've thought about takin my time and building with mods ect...you know, one of those 5-10 yr projects.
Seeing some of the videos of the 6's running what they're running has impressed me quite a bit.
But for now it will be my 318 build for my Valiant, and I still catch slack for that from my Ford/Chev buddies. Say I'm wasting my money on a teen. I'm just like, who are you to talk, you have a 302 in your stang...well it's stroked to 347, but it's still only 24ci bigger. I'm like "really dude?" lol
Go ahead a build er!!

Since your V-8 buddies have a Mopar, they are already outside the box. Maybe they would be happier in a Camaro with 350 and Edelbrock carb. Aren't those rare at car shows? I have a slant, SB, & BB and satisfied with all three. At car shows, I have been drawn to a Studebaker Lark, V-6 Sunbeam, ..., but then I love the Wheeler Dealers show. Your friends probably prefer Foss cars.

How much money does it take to build a /6 dart into the 14's. Don't say it depends, give me a reasonable guesstimate give or take a few hundred.

Well, here's one in the 12's....

It had a Buick G/N turbo added to a 100,000+-mile engine, never had the head off... had a 4bbl carb and manifold added and that's ALL...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPe_vHwZsF4"]Slant Six Turbo 1970 Dodge Dart 1/4 Mile pass - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think he spent much at all...

Since your V-8 buddies have a Mopar, they are already outside the box. Maybe they would be happier in a Camaro with 350 and Edelbrock carb. Aren't those rare at car shows? I have a slant, SB, & BB and satisfied with all three. At car shows, I have been drawn to a Studebaker Lark, V-6 Sunbeam, ..., but then I love the Wheeler Dealers show. Your friends probably prefer Foss cars.

Wanna know something weird? I really enjoy brittish car shows much more then American ones. Wheeler Dealers, Top Gear, ectect. Idk what it is, maybe less stupid adds and more interesting cars. Or maybe its the accents...

-
Back