soda blasting

-

Demon_Dan

Reaction score
anyone done this before ...the guy thats going to do the body on my Demon suggested it before he starts the work ..says its 100 safe and biodegradable and they come right to your house ..is this all true?
Would love to hear frome somebody who has done it to decide if ill do it.

Thanks

It would be a side biz that I would be interested in...need some start up cash.

The process is pretty much harmless to glass, chrome, and such, but I only have read about it. Going to attempt it with my old sandblaster.

works good, kinda expensive here, 700-900 a car, man i can do alot of sanding[da] for that kinda coin, seen em done ,looks good and leave no marks or pitting.

I had my car done with Soda Blasting. Worked out great had 3 layers of paint on it. Came right off, doesn't do much on rust though. The metal never gets hot no warping. The only draw back I had if you would call it that was the soda does get in every little crack, even after I washed and rinsed a few times it seems that time it the only way to get it out in hard to reach areas.

Car came out great, I am doing another car now and using the same process. my Barracuda was 850 to have it done.

Email me for pics of the process.......

Here are a few things you need to know about soda blasting. The paint manufacturer's (namely PPG) will not warranty their paints with this media. Although they will secretely tell you it is one of the best ways to do it. The surface as to be neutralized after it has been soda blasted becuase it is a basic pH material and can have effects on paint. Neutralizing the soda is easy. After blowing the car out with compressed air you should use a vinegar and water based solution to spray and wipe the car down with. Then the car is ready for epoxy or etch. Epoxy is the best!!! It is the only waterproof sealer. Etching primer is old-school.

I got my car done for $1200 about 2 months ago. This is a little bit more but California charges an environmental waste fee of about $400. The shop that I use goes beyond just soda blasting the car. They guarantee their work and go the extra mile by neutralizing the soda, and then they blast the car a second time with garnet stone media to help the metal grab onto the epoxy. The finish is very smooth with soda only.

I had my car epoxied at the shop with 2-3 coats of Valspar epoxy (very good stuff) This cost me an extra $800 but it was well worth it since I am not up and running yet for painting. This way the car is sealed and I can take my time and not worry about flash rust or any of that. Here are the pictures of it with black epoxy. I highly recommmend this method. It saves tons of time and is friendly on the environment despite the California environmental cronies.

For rust issues they will have to use a more agressive media. As far as the windows. Make sure they are masked off because the the soda can haze the glass. Most reputible shops will not risk damaging window because they are hard/impossible to replace in some old cars.

Hope this information helps

primed004.jpg

primed001.jpg

I used a friends commercial soda blaster, and he commercial sand and soda blasts. I too do a lot of sand blasting at our shop. His soda set up is a bit different than sand, it needs a better regulator so the soda is proportioned just right, and also need a good air dryer/cooler. I did it my self and just did the painted areas, ie used sand on underside. It took me about 10 hrs to every nook and cranny, and about 300lbs of soda media. Granted I was a bit annal and may have over did it a bit. It really worked great whole shell was completely bald. It does leave a alkaline film on the surface and it will protect it from rusting unlike sand blasted areas. So before and priming we used a light acid wash to neutralize the alkaline film and them cleaned it again.

blasting.jpg

blasting side.jpg

Pinches, folds, and spot welding are the culprits. Anything that fills or clogs those areas will hold water and cause faster rusting. I agree with blasting the outside skin but not inside or underside of body panels unless you go another dime and use dry ice media. It leaves absolutely no residue.

daves66 posted as I was typing, kinda said the same thing about neutralizing.

Just curious, has anyone used the Portable Soda Pressure Blaster from Eastwood? http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=16321&itemType=PRODUCT

I was going to get my car soda blasted next week and it would cost me about $500-600 and now wondering if I should just buy the portable one and do it myself? Would only save around $100-200 but then again, I'd be able to do it myself and do things in the future.

You wouldnt save any at all you would have to buy the soda and other proper equipment to keep yourself safe while blasting. Unless you plan on using the blaster more than once then eventually you would be ahead.

That is kind of what I figured. I'm just one of those guys who likes to do it himself and learn what he is doing, but at the same time, weighing the costs does matter.

Thanks anyways.
J

That is kind of what I figured. I'm just one of those guys who likes to do it himself and learn what he is doing, but at the same time, weighing the costs does matter.

Thanks anyways.
J

No problem I was thinking the same thing but decided not to cause I wouldnt use it enough to pay for itself.

I looked at soda blasting because it was cheaper than media blasting, they come to your house, and it is biodegradible. As someone else pointed out it barely touches rust but is great with paint. The down side is you must get it out of every crevice or you are opening a can of worms for future rust. I chose to get my car professionally blasted with Aluminum Oxide for the shell and I am blasting the hood, doors, valances, fenders, and trunklid with glass.

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but has anyone else gotten this done. Im sure the prices have only gone up but what about guys doing this at home. I'm considering doing this to my challenger when im ready.

I hear tell Charlie Sheen set out to do it on one of his cars, but got his white powders mixed up and wound up costing himself a fortune :lol:

^ haha

anyone have anything on the actual topic though?

Think about dry ice blasting !!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9nITRz--0&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]YouTube - Auto Paint Removal With Dry Ice Blasting. Really "Cool".[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB_g5w_BkA&feature=more_related"]YouTube - Dry Ice Blasting - Fire Restoration[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-tmdL8_QL0&feature=related"]YouTube - Dry Ice Blasting - Historical Restoration[/ame]

-
Back