sold a car as is having issues now "maryland"

-
i buy sell cars all time this is first i have ever had a issue like this i already turn in my tags and canceled my insurance

I cant believe you guy's are even still talking about this. AS IS!!!!! As long as you were honest with him,that's all that matters.

i told him of all issues i knew of car didn't know about the stuff it fail inspection ...only reason im bringing it up guy has been calling me telling me i need give up his money or he going to his lawyer so guess im just let him do what he has to if it go to court i will just keep postponing it

SEND him a email thanking him for buying the car and remind him to switch the title over as agreed, and also list it was sold as is and keep a record of the email....Also your ad stated the car had no back seat and that there is enough not to pass inspection, no seat belts no seats?

and i have the email saying that to him it needs rear seats and belts e brake cable every thing else that it fail for i had no clue it needed ball joints brakes and he said it need tires it dose not need tires at all there only 4 mounts old oh and a brake line

Generally speaking, when I sell a car I'll write a short note that both buyer and seller sign, acknowledging the exchange of cash and the condition of the car. I politely explain that it protects both of us, and ask if they have anything they want to ask, or have added to the document. Never had a problem doing that.

The reason I do it is because of an incident where the buyer comes back to me and tells me I have to take the car back, and he wants his cash. Somewhere in the conversation it comes out that the car was in a minor fender bender. I asked "if I take the car back, do I also get the insurance money to fix the car?" The problem was immediately solved, and I kept my money.

It seems to me that the other guy's statement can be used against him to secure your position. If he wants to play the title is not in my name game, let him explain why he gave the cash over without a signed and valid title. That could result in unauthorized use of a motor vehicle charges against him. The fact he is asking for the cash back could prove the transaction was completed by both parties as agreed. If his condition of the final sale was based on passing inpsection, he had the duty to have it checked before finalizing the transaction. I don't know about MD laws but if it didn't have a back seat, I could assume no one was expected to ride in that area of the car and seat belts would not be required as it is no longer a passenger area. Removing the back seat may have changed the title classification for the car since it would have been classified as a 4 passenger car with the seat but again I don't know. Either way he accepted the car as is, paid the cash and accepted a title transfer from you. You might have a recourse of filing against him for not completing the title transfer and keeping you open to liability issues but again his request for his money back only proves the transaction was completed as agreed in the first place.

some states require a car to be inspection passable,when sold,, or seller is liable,,, but only if sold in ame state as that law,, not sold in another state,,into a state that requires it,, your safe,,but next time go to a notoray and get the sale documanted,, that way there is no doubt

In Colorado the seller is responsable for the car passing an emmissions test. We don't have state inspections anymore only emmissions, but that is something that probably should be rethought so we can get some of the pieces of crap off the road that aren't safe for the drivers of the cars and the drivers around them.

Looking forward to seeing you on Judge Judy, maybe you can wear a "for a bodies only" t-shirt when you are on.:-D Just kidding, I hope you get things worked out.

I would say to bad...happened to me to before and What can ya do. you buy the car private meaning it is the responsibility of the buyer to have the vehicle in question inspected and make the decision weather to buy it...Not like u twisted his arm..You sold him a 93 Ford prob that you drove daily and everything worked for you to drive...its like if the tranny would have blown a day after the drove it . that is his problem lol not yours that is my feeling at least..and if your not informed enough to buy a vehicle bring someone who knows what they are talking about with you or go to a dealer...That simple... just my 2 cents lol

yeah im not gonna really worie about it i talk to state troper and he told me im in clear but start doing paper work bill sales and such

There is absolutely NOTHING that dude can legally do about it. He's the idiot for not fully inspecting the car before the money was exchanged. As long as you were honest. You did what you can do. DO NOT GIVE HIM ANYTHING BACK!!!!!! STOP ANSWERING HIS CALLS!!!!!!

he called me today telling me where he wants to do the exchage i told him there know way im doing it with out a cort order telling me i have to after saying that he had nothing to say .....i really didt know car needed that much work i dont like have bad sale but guess it happens

It was an "As-is" sale. It is buyer beware. Even if you did know about everything it needed you have no legal responsibility to reveal that information. You may have a moral obligation, you may not, that depends on how you personally feel about it. It is not a home with a legally-required Disclosure Statement, it is a car. It is his car whether he re-titled it or not and there is nothing he can do about it.

My unwritten policy is bring the car back exactly as recieved and I'll give your money back exactly as recieved. "As is" equals "as was". If they bought new floor mats for it, take them out. If the motor blew up , put a motor in it. Life is to short for bickering. There are those who will seek revenge and I was once one of them. I wouldn't want anyone even contemplating the kind of vengeful tactics that I was capable of against me.

Gotta love these deals.I alway's sell car's with a Death Warrant,AS-IS,Where-is,claiming no responsibility for anything.Or I just jump title.Lot of these idiots think they're driving the car away from the dealership new.In the past it was expressed to me by an attorney as long as you didn't knowingly hide known defects you have no problem's.Evidently idiot wanted car for free.Tell him dealers sell new car's.Hope it works out for you

I always give a tail light warranty. When I can't see the tail lights anymore, the warranty has expired.

thats a good one lol...im gonna refuse to help guy out once you start wit the "name calling" my self respect for you no longer there , i guess guy figured since i was 21 years old i didn't know a thing or two this is the 17th car i have sold (not all tittled in my name dont want get a license lol) and this is the first i have had this issue guess guy dosent understand as is , thank you to all those who have supported what i originally thought

FYI my sister lives in maryland. They have a very hard inspection process to follow. The cars are inspected once as long as you own the car. I would say it is a done deal. But no bill of sale could pose some legal issues. It is your word against his. If you dont want to end up in court try to come to an agreement. Make sure you did not mis-represent the car.

I think EVERYONE here could learn a lesson from this young gun's mistake. ANYTIME I sell a motor vehicle, I type up a quick bill of sale and make two copies. I list the date, vehicle description, VIN, sale price, and the words "vehicle is sold as is, where is, with no warranty expressed or implied". I sign both copies and the buyer signs both copies. We each keep one.

This has worked like a charm for over twenty years with no complaints.

You have to look at the fact that the car you were selling wasn't exactly your grandfathers old daily driver. This Ford Probe (sorry for swearing) is obviously a car that would need some work. The thing is half a race car. It has no back seats! You wanted $2000, and he got in his mind, a deal at $1500. Come on, What $1500 car, doesn't need anything to pass a safety anyway?

I think your in the Clear.

my 2 cents

I've read all the post and it inspires me to ask two maybe three questions. #1) What auto manufacturer would name a car after something the doctor would stick up your backside?
#2) What kind of buyer would buy a car named after something the doctor would stick up your backside?
#3) How bigga old boy is he? He obviously is less informed than you on buying a used car. I'd say you may have to deal with him in court if he is really stupid but when i buy a car, new or used, there are NO warranties. Look it over good.

-
Back